• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wysoki vs. McBeth

That's fair lol, but I still don't think it will have quite the staying power in the memory of disc golfers like a World's or USDGC.

I wasn't disagreeing, rather, I was having a go at Innova. Please note, I use many of their discs so don't hash me on. :)

I think your point is exactly correct. For Paul to have a share of the glory this year, he has to win USDGC, and that still plays second to Worlds.

What kind of "health problems" did Paul have?

Seemed like it was his back but then it was his knee. Then he changed his putt to a straddle for a few weeks and then went back after taking that strap brace off his knee. He really seemed off his game back in those Era video and the ChampVsChumps.

Not sure what's gotten better since Worlds but he seems much closer to Paul of last year. Whatever was wrong is why it's difficult for me to say that Ricky has bested Paul at all these tournaments this year since he evidently wasn't healthy.

Do we really need to say one is better than the other even?

Why can't we just enjoy the fact that these two guys are head and shoulders above the rest of the field?

They are both going to be remembered as outstanding players. Look at how we view Climo and Schultz today - they were the two best at the sport for a very long time - just happens that KC got more World titles but we don't think any less of Schultz as a player. Or maybe some people do?

To me, USDGC wins have always been the benchmark of how great a player is. It's always the same course with the same hazards (or at least very similar). It requires pinpoint accuracy and obviously great putting to be able to win.

Last edited:
What kind of "health problems" did Paul have?

Seemed like it was his back but then it was his knee. Then he changed his putt to a straddle for a few weeks and then went back after taking that strap brace off his knee. He really seemed off his game back in those Era video and the ChampVsChumps.

Not sure what's gotten better since Worlds but he seems much closer to Paul of last year. Whatever was wrong is why it's difficult for me to say that Ricky has bested Paul at all these tournaments this year since he evidently wasn't healthy.
But yet Wysocki won Worlds with an ankle injury. :rolleyes:

Some fun tidbits in my BHMO recap, but I'll share them here too:

-Since Worlds, McBeth has played 5 of 8 rounds (that counts BHMO Final 9 as a round for simplicity's sake) at or above his rating.

-In that same stretch, Wysocki has played 5 of 8 rounds below his rating.

-McBeth has won the last two events by a combined 23 strokes. He's en fuego.

Love that Ricky has got the chip off his shoulder and really speaking his mind, don't feel like he's usually so frank in his comments about competitors. Glad to see Paul winning again too. That said, what a great time to be a a disc golf fan.. these two really have raised the bar.

Look at how we view Climo and Schultz today - they were the two best at the sport for a very long time - just happens that KC got more World titles but we don't think any less of Schultz as a player. Or maybe some people do?

I don't think you will find very many people out there who think Barry's resume is close to Kenny's- Barry included (and I know Barry pretty well). That doesn't mean they are not both great great players though.

I haven't verified this, but it seems as though when McBeth wins he wins big, when Wysocki wins its usually pretty close.

I was watching the Smashboxx podcast last night (8/30/2016) and they were interviewing McBeth. Good interview, and a few interesting points came out.

Apparently there was a "philosophical discussion" of the rules between Wysocki and McBeth again, this time over where Wysocki went OB on a throw. Apparently this was in the 3d round, perhaps the 14th hole of the BHMO last weekend. Wysocki wanted to throw from farther than where McBeth said Wysocki went OB. The rest of the card agreed with McBeth, and part of the issue is that Wysocki did not watch his throw. This apparently led to some jawing between McBeth and Wysocki, and it affected Wysocki mentally (apparently).

I bring this up because I noticed during Worlds that we not only had "Sharpie-gate" (marking the discs, or not), but I noticed Wysocki at Worlds always going over to where McBeth went OB, and Wysocki did not do that for others on his card.

So I wonder if there is some animosity between these players, and it comes out during crisis moments and high tensions... I get the sense McBeth and Wysocki don't like each other, and while the DG world screens that to some extent, it's becoming more evident with Wysocki winning more this year.

Thoughts?

McBeth called him out before the season started. Ricky definitely repeated how he was mentally strong in a post-round interview during Worlds. No chance there isn't some kind of animosity.

Don't think they're the best of friends or anything, but when you're competing the way they have been with each other over the past few years, I'm sure you begin to realize that every nuance that can give or take a stroke away from your competition is huge. I wouldn't think it's anymore than that. It's not like either of them is pulling a Climo with ghost foot faults or anything..

If you listen to Paul talk about Ricky, and then about Nate Doss, there is clearly a different approach. They are definitely at the point where a stroke makes a difference as per OB Four's observation. That means they can't afford to let anything go. Honestly, I'd say those two are probably more straight up about the rules than almost anyone else, they can't let anything pass for the other. That, tournament to tournament is going to make for some hard feelings.

One thing that was really interesting to me is that if you look at their stats on UDisc, they are almost indistinguishable.

The only stat where a real difference is noticeable is scrambling %, were Ricky is very high and Paul is in the middle. I know it can be quite this simple, but is Ricky winning because he's better at getting out of trouble this year?

Our sample size is too small to say that definitively, but it's something to look at after seasons end.

McBeth is McPutting lights out again since Worlds ended. That is the main difference. Overall Ricky has been playing a more conservative game off the tee and I think it hurt him in the final round at BHMO.

I recall seeing these two playing air hockey at Vibram last year so I doubt there is real animosity. They just happen to be in a class by themselves right now with respect to competition.

One thing that was really interesting to me is that if you look at their stats on UDisc, they are almost indistinguishable.

The only stat where a real difference is noticeable is scrambling %, were Ricky is very high and Paul is in the middle. I know it can be quite this simple, but is Ricky winning because he's better at getting out of trouble this year?

Our sample size is too small to say that definitively, but it's something to look at after seasons end.

Interesting observation. Are they equally likely to get into trouble? And if not, what kind of holes do they get in trouble on?

I think what I have come away with from this season is this: McBeth's highs this year have been higher, but his lows have been lower. Wysocki, on the other hand, has just been kind of consistently chugging along, winning, but not blowing people out of the water like McBeth. It all looks the same on paper, but different to the eye.

I was watching the Smashboxx podcast last night (8/30/2016) and they were interviewing McBeth. Good interview, and a few interesting points came out.

Apparently there was a "philosophical discussion" of the rules between Wysocki and McBeth again, this time over where Wysocki went OB on a throw. Apparently this was in the 3d round, perhaps the 14th hole of the BHMO last weekend. Wysocki wanted to throw from farther than where McBeth said Wysocki went OB. The rest of the card agreed with McBeth, and part of the issue is that Wysocki did not watch his throw. This apparently led to some jawing between McBeth and Wysocki, and it affected Wysocki mentally (apparently).

I bring this up because I noticed during Worlds that we not only had "Sharpie-gate" (marking the discs, or not), but I noticed Wysocki at Worlds always going over to where McBeth went OB, and Wysocki did not do that for others on his card.

So I wonder if there is some animosity between these players, and it comes out during crisis moments and high tensions... I get the sense McBeth and Wysocki don't like each other, and while the DG world screens that to some extent, it's becoming more evident with Wysocki winning more this year.

Thoughts?

I noticed at worlds Mcbeth did the same for Wysocki. On one drive Ricky went past the hole into the woods. Mcbeth came over and checked the lie while Ricky set up, nobody else did. I think it was late in the second to last round and Ricky missed the putt, he was close but had to putt overhand and it chained out for reference