• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

XXX

Danforth said:
My local PIAS has some mustard yellow Opto XXX's @ 171gs.

They've been sitting there for a while and I'm wondering if there's something wrong with them, like they were a freak run and don't fly like a typicall XXX. Has anyone thrown these?

Are they really domey? I've seen some really domey ones in that color recently, they supposedly don't fly so hot for overhands, but still plenty beefy for backhand. Flat as a pancake is preferred.

Mason65 said:
Danforth said:

They've been sitting there for a while and I'm wondering if there's something wrong with them, like they were a freak run and don't fly like a typicall XXX. Has anyone thrown these?

Are they really domey? I've seen some really domey ones in that color recently, they supposedly don't fly so hot for overhands, but still plenty beefy for backhand. Flat as a pancake is preferred.

They have a slight dome, but I wouldn't call 'em "domey". Not quite flat as a pancake either. :?

Danforth said:
Mason65 said:
Danforth said:

They have a slight dome, but I wouldn't call 'em "domey". Not quite flat as a pancake either. :?
XXX with dome are beefy as shit......however they are slower and not as good for overhand, i prefer the flats

discspeed said:
elnino said:
So is this correct

Longest OS disc
Flick
Pred
XXX
Firebird

Most Stable
XXX
Flick
Firebird
Pred

Best for Thumber Distance???
XXX

Best for Forehand disc???
Predator?

The Flick is not truly that overstable, especially at high speeds, so it would be the least stable of those. Also, best FH disc is totally subjective to the thrower. I'll agree with the rest of your assessment. Those pesky domey 12x Firbirds are also literally changing the way the Firebird is viewed among newer players as well. When I think FBs, I will always be thinking about the flat ones of the past that are total pigs.

a few questions
my most stable disc is a 175 QOLF
it's decent for forehands but it's not quite stable enough for real headwind duties so I am looking to fill that slot (and the new Millennium monster/rex-x hybrid doesn't look close yet)
because I throw the OLF I was thinking of getting a Firebird...but where the hell do you start with that disc? Everyone raves about 11x and they seem to sell for a premium...why?
what is wrong or right with a 12x
drop silly money on mint CE FBs???

I don't really throw thumbers/overhands so I am really looking for a bh/fh disc

I was thinking of the XXX
but maybe I would be better with a FB

I throw about 330 so I am not cranking them out all that far but I want something that I can work with in heavy winds and not worry about it not coming back (my 175 SOLF turned on me on a flat throw in a left to right side/head wind the other day and I think only stopped cause of a hill rather than a fade back)

discgolfcenter has the flight ratings on the XXX as a Speed 7 which surely cannot be right

is the XXX going to be too much of a tank?
would the FB be a better option (especially with the OLF having the same bottom?)

and sorry I have FB questions in the XXX thread...and most of these questions may be answered in here already so I am going to go back through but input would be appreciated

edit: I usually throw discs in the 168 range but for my overstable disc was thinking something more like 172 rather than a full 175 if that adds to the discussion

Got an XXX a week or two ago after reading all of the love it gets. I don't typically throw FH rollers, but I tried it out today since people say the XXX is great for them. It easily went 80' past my drives (also my driving sucks). It was straight as a dart the whole way and then just fell over.

So what is the general opinion of the flat vs domey XXX's? I have a flat XXX that I have been throwing all this year so far(and loving it) but it's an ugly and hard to find brown color. I ordered up another XXX in orange so I could have one in a color thats easier to find, and when I got my orange one I found that is has a good size dome shape on the top plate. It's the most extreme difference I've ever seen between two discs of the same make/model. My original is flat as a board and me new one is about as domey as my Champ rancho Roc.

Anyways, just wanted to hear from you all the difference in the flight between the two.

Not much difference...If anything the domey ones are more overstable. It does slow down the speed (which is already slow) of the roll on an overhand shot.

For 330 D, don't get heavier than your 168 range. Just let the disc shape provide the stability. And when you evaluate a mold, my opinion is that a 5gr weight change just muddies the waters for both the disc and your timing/form. Never mind my heavier Wasp in my sig; it's far easier to get spd 5 up to a workable velocity.

While I rarely throw overhand or rollers, I'll get an XXX just to see what the fuss is about ;)

I don't really throw thumbers/overhands so I am really looking for a bh/fh disc

I was thinking of the XXX
but maybe I would be better with a FB

I throw about 330 so I am not cranking them out all that far but I want something that I can work with in heavy winds and not worry about it not coming back (my 175 SOLF turned on me on a flat throw in a left to right side/head wind the other day and I think only stopped cause of a hill rather than a fade back)

edit: I usually throw discs in the 168 range but for my overstable disc was thinking something more like 172 rather than a full 175 if that adds to the discussion

How do the flat XXXs compare to a Z Predator or Champ Monster?

Thanks!
~KJ

Oh, I threw a nasty thumber over a tree yesterday. The tree was around 40' tall, and the disc landed 4" from the pin (not sure how it didn't go in).

Played around with an Opto XXX the other day. I love how slow it turns on overhand lines! This is really almost the perfect overhand disc in every way, now I need to get one myself.

its great for getting our thumbers out there on longer holes, and the slow turn helps with being close to an object you have to get over also. Its great for grenades too, but tommies not so much, and ive had a bit of success trying forehand cut rollers with it

Roc Lover said:
its great for getting our thumbers out there on longer holes... but tommies not so much

??? I have no problems w/ tommies and am curious how it works on thumbers for you but not tommies.

pointdisc said:
Roc Lover said:
its great for getting our thumbers out there on longer holes... but tommies not so much

??? I have no problems w/ tommies and am curious how it works on thumbers for you but not tommies.
id hazard a guess that it turns too slow for him on tommies and basically hits the ground at the same angle he threw it at.....throw it harder/higher :wink:

Jesse B 707 said:
pointdisc said:
Roc Lover said:

id hazard a guess that it turns too slow for him on tommies and basically hits the ground at the same angle he threw it at.....throw it harder/higher :wink:

Figured somewhere along those lines. Still not quite sure how some can only throw one or the other.

pointdisc said:
Figured somewhere along those lines. Still not quite sure how some can only throw one or the other.
My thumbers turn much faster than my tomahawks (bad technique, I know), so I can see where he's coming from.

We got some new XXXs in the store today. The have a different shape than previous runs. They aren't totally flat, but they also don't have a poppy dome like some of the others. The shoulder just kind of slopes a little to form a very modest dome. I grabbed a blue/green 172. I was very pleased that it flew a little less stable than the others I have and also glides quite a bit better. Its a sweet disc, still totally stable, but it actually goes straight for a bit and gets some forward distance on the hyzer.

Latest posts