• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

XXX

JimW said:
Because I'm curious, damnit! :p

Plus the utility of a disc for someone throwing 370-400 can be totally different than that of someone at 270-300 so despite you and Jesse not liking it much that doesn't mean it won't potentially work well for me.
it will most likely be shorter than you putters at that d

discspeed said:
RoomTenONine said:
discspeed said:
It would be great to have a longer/less stable XXX.

Like an Orion LF in Opto......yummmmm!

There's like 12 steps of stability between an OLF and an XXX...maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but the OLF is nowhere close to a zero in HSS. I would like something fast that is not going to turn over unless thrown flat into a 20mph headwind, yet has a straight portion to its flight path without being thrown turned over.

I never said there were or were not "like 12 steps of stability" between the two. All you said was a longer less stable XXX. All my OLFs are longer and less stable than my XXXs. That may not be what YOU were getting at in your initial vague statement (which is totally fine), but I'd still like a OLF-type disc in opto. :)

JimW said:
Because I'm curious, damnit! :p

Plus the utility of a disc for someone throwing 370-400 can be totally different than that of someone at 270-300 so despite you and Jesse not liking it much that doesn't mean it won't potentially work well for me.

Nothing wrong with trying out some discs. The folks dissing the Trident also tried them out at one point. You have every right to the same opportunity.

Although I didn't love my Trident as much as other discs, it is still very interesting and I actually use mine when i need a short piggish mid disc.

discspeed said:
There's like 12 steps of stability between an OLF and an XXX...maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but the OLF is nowhere close to a zero in HSS. I would like something fast that is not going to turn over unless thrown flat into a 20mph headwind, yet has a straight portion to its flight path without being thrown turned over.

You need to try a QOLF 1.2. They are plenty stable, and it wont turn over.

rehder said:
discspeed said:

You need to try a QOLF 1.2. They are plenty stable, and it wont turn over.

Yup. The 1.1 won't either if you throw it right.

I have two 174s on the way now for the hell of it. You going to take them off my hands if I don't like them Mike? :lol:

My seasoned 169g QOLF 1.2 has about the same flight path as my new 175g SOLF 1.1. I used to throw the QOLF 1.2 for all my thumber shots and I think thats the main reason it lost some of it's stability. I also picked up a brand new 168g QOLF 1.1, and that disc was a little easier to accidently turn over with unintentional OAT. I have since traded off the 1.1 QOLF and am now looking for a heavier QOLF 1.2 as my 1.2 that I have now flies more like a Wraith than a mini-Pred. It still laughs at most headwinds though :)

Back on topic, I have an Opto XXX on the way to me that I should be getting middle of this week. I am really excited to try this disc as I like what I have read so far about it. The one main gripe I have with my Preds is the shard edge the underside of the rim has. It hurts my thumb when I release thumbers with it, which sucks as it's my main thumber disc. I also just aquired a 171g flat top Star Firebird from a friend that I have been liking so far. When this XXX gets here it's going to be a 3-way battle for the overstable slot in my bag...Z-Predator vs Star Firebird vs Opto XXX. Only the winner will ride in my bag,and if the firebird or XXX win I will have to order a few more since I like to have backups of my favorite discs.

JimW said:
I have two 174s on the way now for the hell of it. You going to take them off my hands if I don't like them Mike? :lol:

Certainly...If they are flat.

Ordered a XXX last night from DD. Can't wait to check it out. My 11X Champion firebird is just turning too stable for me (Losing it's overstableness). It doesn't have as much turn as it used to and today at doubles I overshot a couple of holes because of it. Usually I aim for a hyzer line the whole flight and it just kinda straightened out for a couple of seconds and went past the point it needed to.

how would you compare the XXX to an Xcal. Im thinking about something to get my brother for Xmas. he Throws forehand with star Xcals and they seem to become too understabe too fast. I was thinking about getting him an opto XXX to try out. I want to get him something that is as stable and just as long as they Xcal that might not break in as fast. any info would be great.

thanks

Paintball1084 said:
how would you compare the XXX to an Xcal. Im thinking about something to get my brother for Xmas. he Throws forehand with star Xcals and they seem to become too understabe too fast. I was thinking about getting him an opto XXX to try out. I want to get him something that is as stable and just as long as they Xcal that might not break in as fast. any info would be great.

thanks

The XXX is awesome for that shot but not as long

a Z Force would be more equal if not longer in terms of distance

disc junkie said:
Paintball1084 said:

thanks

The XXX is awesome for that shot but not as long

a Z Force would be more equal if not longer in terms of distance

Is the force as stable as the Xcal. I have one but i have only thrown it once....... and now there is snow on the ground. sorry to get off topic

come on over to the force thread. The force is not as stable as an xcal but it is plenty stable for flicking 400'

I was kind of looking for something longer than a Pred. But, Meh! The FLX Pred has done me right so far and this doesn't seem to be the answer. I'm pretty much throwing Innova but hate the Firebird. Even have a nice flat 11x that I tried and I just don't like them. The FLX Pred to me seems to fit me best. It's nice and long, and seems to not wear in hardly at all. I've thrown it in some crazy winds, but it seems to jump sometimes up and down with really bad winds, but never comes off a hyzer line. Only thing I've noticed is that sometimes it can flatten out. But, I think the few times it's done it, never hurt. I just don't think I can beat the FLX Pred in the woods or on open holes with anything else. 360 and in this thing is deadly accurate. I think I'll just stick with Preds and pass on this. Seemed interesting at first. :mrgreen:

Every FLX pred I've own has no glide and fades hard. Great for super windy days and overhand shots, not great for backhand shots over 250'

I throw them pretty well in the 350 range, but new I do have to say they do fade hard if you don't get them sailing. Most of the shots 280-320 though the FLX pred for me will sail and skip probably another 10'. Most of the shots I make with it are in the 300 range, but can push it out to 350 but rarely ever have to.

Frank Delicious said:
Every FLX pred I've own has no glide and fades hard. Great for super windy days and overhand shots, not great for backhand shots over 250'

agree, I love preds but I only use my FLX for thumbers. for all else the z and esp are superior.

Lithicon said:
I was kind of looking for something longer than a Pred. But, Meh! The FLX Pred has done me right so far and this doesn't seem to be the answer.

is the FLX the only one you use? the z and esp are both longer (esp is longer then Z)
imo

Lithicon said:
I throw them pretty well in the 350 range

that's pretty good

Latest posts