• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

YAY!! I've FINALLY GOT DARK DYES!!!

The Euphoric Nightmare said:
Anakha said:
Here's a program that converts jpegs into line drawings- Irfanview

How do you get that program to convert jpegs into line drawing?

I never found an option in Irfanview that let you do that.

Here's a dye job I finished just now. A friend of mine wanted a Jolly roger and just told me to do whatever I wanted.
I went simple on this one, but I really wanted to go nuts with a crazy backdrop or something.
If he asks me to I prolly will later
l_785d14310ea0abb3f363f893720100f4.jpg

AciDBatH666 said:
The Euphoric Nightmare said:
Anakha said:
Here's a program that converts jpegs into line drawings- Irfanview

How do you get that program to convert jpegs into line drawing?

I never found an option in Irfanview that let you do that.
Sorry fellas, missed your posts. I guess I should of said it can change the image to look like a line drawing. I picked it because it's free, easy to use, and a decent program.

Open your image, select edge detection under effects, then use negative, then sharpen/enhance until it's to your liking.

Here's a quick example, not the best, but it works.-

Before-
dimebagbefore.jpg

After-
dimebagline.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Very nice.
Ima try it on a few images.
It looks like it can prolly turn some complex stuff into simple stuff. AWESOME.
Thanx for the tip!
Im about to start on a nasty band logo dye for a friend.

pulled some overtime tonight!
lol. Didnt realize that I went nuts for nearly 3-4 hours working on just the drawing of this latest one.
Its for a buddy of mine in Vertigo Sun, a local band. Nasty heavy, they play a lot, and are probably one of the best heavy/hardcore bands in the area around here

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=2512214
Check em out if your interested

This is the logo
m_d053d4d88b7bc2edcd506b5af32300c2.jpg

Here's a little bit into it
DSC00735.sized.jpg

And here is where Im at now, going to bed soon. Im drained, and my damn wrist is killin me from all the work.
Tomorrow I'll finish up the small splotchy lookin details and start to actually cut into the design. Then dye it tomorrow night.
VS_ink.sized.jpg

Anyone got any tips for lightening a disc? I let a Champ Teebird sit a bit too long and the color is a lot darker than I wanted.

Does Rit Whitener and Brightener work on a disc after it's already been dyed?

I really doubt that it does, but I might try it in a couple of days. See what happens to the disc. Cuz the only thing I havent really gotten to really mess around with is matching colors. So some of the colored work ive done is too dark. So if I could lighten it, I'd be stoked.
If i try it and it works, I'll make a post about it.
Im thinking of making a post of a step by step process of everything from what kinda containers I use, to techniques to apply your contact paper to not get any bubbles so your dye jobs wont bleed.
I'll try to get some whitener today on my lunch break at work.

There's a couple of discs Id like to try it on that are super dark

GOt my Scarlet dye from Rit.com today. SO I could FINALLLY blend colors to get the red I needed to complete my friend's Captain America shield.
l_3905c42c99953d8ccedb0117a1f9de3f.jpg

l_885aca500995343ddb3cb5054ae0e001.jpg

To those of you who dye your discs, what do you find is the best way to get stamps off of discs? I'm mostly looking to destamp star, champion, and esp plastic. I've been able to do an alright job on star and champ, but ESP is proving to be real difficult for me. Any ideas?

I just use acetone with an old cloth. Pour the acetone in the cloth and rub it hard on the stamp. Make sure you use enough acetone or you may get some color streaks.

I use acetone, on white discs I gotta really be careful cuz it'll smear. On colored discs its not that bad.

A friend told me about some stuff, its made by CRC. It's some electrical contact cleaner. He said they have it at his work and it wipes it CLEAN Off and leaves no streak or anything. I've been trying to find it locally but with zero luck. So Ima start lookin online soon

AciDBatH666 said:
A friend told me about some stuff, its made by CRC. It's some electrical contact cleaner. He said they have it at his work and it wipes it CLEAN Off and leaves no streak or anything. I've been trying to find it locally but with zero luck. So Ima start lookin online soon
Is it this?-
411CvV4yAwL._AA280_.jpg
If so, I just tried it, doesn't work at all.

Acetone still works the best so far. As K-os said, just make sure the rag is wet with acetone,(not just cold) and you shouldn't have a problem with streaks.

BTW, that Capt. America shield does look great. I've seen too many that are off because they make the rings wrong, or the star too small.

Hrm. Thats weird that it doesnt work.
Well he said he'd get me a can of it. So i guess we'll see.

The captain america one took me a while just to find the dead center, which still is a couple of millimeters off. But still, its not noticeable. I just went nuts on the math, figuring out how many MM to make each stripe to make em even.

I just tried the Rit Color Remover on a couple of discs. It did lighten up a yellowish dyed disc that I did a while back.
I seriously doubt it'll get all of it out ever... But it was worth a shot.
It also cleaned off the Innova logos with no streaking. Lol.

That Capt America is SICK!!!!! nice work.

I use Magic Eraser to get stamps off now. It works amazing.

Also Goo Gone / Goof Off works as well.