• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

You just don't buy it.

cfair

* Ace Member *
I was looking over some of the special Grip EQ bags that were made and I thought to myself. "Alright, that stuff is cool. But do I buy it?" Not will I buy it but do I buy that it is worth the hype, money, or hassle to go about acquiring a certain disc golf product. Another example is the ESP Comet. I love the comet and before the recent run I tracked a couple down and fell in love. I decided to snag some TP comets and when the new run came out I bought a stock. I did "buy" the disc (exchange currency) but I also bought that it is a useful disc of quality and note.

So I was wondering what do you buy into? That Pink Preds are more overstable? That CE plastic is worth?

So for me it is Grip EQ, cool bag, looks nice. Support dg companies and all that, but I won't buy a grip. Wouldn't turn down a free one, but it just isn't what I will pay money for. But then again... there is little I will pay money for. Also CE, kudos to all ya'll who love it. But keep it away from my wallet.

Last edited:
I get ce to trade/sell for discs I want.... never will I buy a disc for throwing at those prices.

I personally don't get into the high-dollar collector/thrower discs. If it isn't something I can go directly to a disc golf site and buy, then it has no real worth to me and no place in my bag. I'm not a collector by nature, either, so that just adds to it. I see people that rely on their CE Leopard as their 'most important' disc and in my mind that's just insane.

On another note, I do believe in shelling money out for a well-made bag. I invested in a Voodoo Zulu with the expectation that it will be the last bag I have to buy for a while. From the way it's made, I can be fairly certain that it will be short of getting stolen.

I don't collect so I try to stay away from the expensive stuff. With that said I have become a fan of KCP Cheetahs but I only have 4, two 10X & two 11X. I actually have an ESP Comet that should be in the MP by tomorrow

It has to tickle my fancey. I love putters buzzes and bags. Im usually willing to shell out a few extra bucks for these even if I won't throw it. I also like higher quality items. I'm pretty disappointed in my later 64 pro bag. Just because I'm starting to see weak points in the stitching and the low quality of the zippers.

I could care less about ce plastic too much over-hype

I feel the same way, I just bought my first collector disc the other day, a FR Buzz, but if I am not going to throw it I don't buy it. As far as ce goes I have thrown it and don't see the hype. Very few pros I know have it and throw it. All most all of the pros have at least 1-10x teebird in the bag but no ce. As for bags I can't bring myself to sell out $150 plus dollars on something to carry discs. I am in the market but may actually get a bag from Cabelas and modify it for my needs. $70 for a backpack bag seems a lot more reasonable to me.

I don't buy into newer is better...if I have a disc that fills a role in my bag and a manufactorer produces a disc that is supposed to be similar, I see no need to rush out and buy it. Don't get me wrong, I love to toss new plastic but try to stick to my basics when spending money.

The new Opto Pures are super tempting...but I can't justify spending $50 on one.

coolstorybro2.jpg

I don't collect so I try to stay away from the expensive stuff. With that said I have become a fan of KCP Cheetahs but I only have 4, two 10X & two 11X. I actually have an ESP Comet that should be in the MP by tomorrow

I like the KC Pro Cheetahs as well, but I just won't buy them. They are not even that pricey (at least last I looked) but I just don't like searching for them.

Collectors assume that upon their passing, the next generation will keep the collection in the condition it was left. Unless that person is rich enough to afford leaving it, then my opinion is that they will all get sold, traded, thrown or lost after you are gone. Like a free agent after the season, get something you want to throw for something you don't throw. Collecting is just another word for "Organized Hoarding"...

I like the KC Pro Cheetahs as well, but I just won't buy them. They are not even that pricey (at least last I looked) but I just don't like searching for them.

I've gotten pretty lucky on mine. One 10X was given to me for returning their favorite 10X that I found, bought one 11X for $11 & the other 10X & 11X for $12 each from a buddy. So I've got less than $40 in 4 KCP discs, & the worst condition is probably a 6-7/10

I buy discs that are unlike anything I already own. For instance, I bought a XXX but now that I have it I won't even try a firebird unless I lose the XXX. I lost my Katana so now am in the market for a Bolt to replace the high speed understable spot in the bag. I rarely replace a lost disc with an exact replica of the same disc, seeing a loss as an opportunity to discover something new.

Collectors assume that upon their passing, the next generation will keep the collection in the condition it was left. Unless that person is rich enough to afford leaving it, then my opinion is that they will all get sold, traded, thrown or lost after you are gone. Like a free agent after the season, get something you want to throw for something you don't throw. Collecting is just another word for "Organized Hoarding"...

I totally see where you're coming from but I say if you want to collect fancy plastic go for it. If I had the money I would have enough weapons & ammo to supply all of Knoxville but unfortunately I have to pay bills!

being new to the disc golf world i have yet to buy into the older is better mentality some seem to have in the MP.

that being said... i am willing to spend a little extra money on a good bag. being able to comfortably carry all my discs as well as anything i may need while out on a course all day is worth it to me. currently have both a lat64 pro and carolina revolution i just picked up. each has its good features and short comings... will probably interchange between each for a while.

I have bought into the idea that new discs are fun to throw.

I don't buy every new driver on the market, but I can't stop myself from owning (at some point in my life) at least one of every putter ever made.

opto is damn nice.

Also I don't think I buy into stuff like the golden retriever or that stick with a suction cup on it that I see at all the big DG events. Anyone bought one of those sticks?

opto is damn nice.

Also I don't think I buy into stuff like the golden retriever or that stick with a suction cup on it that I see at all the big DG events. Anyone bought one of those sticks?

My friend has one of those "sticks" and they're actually pretty nice. Instead of crawling under some thick branches and weeds, you can just bust out the thing and grab your disc no problem.

I can't praise the Golden Retriever enough though. I think the thing is absolutely amazing and a disc saver for sure!

Gotta say I don't get into CE/OOP/BS etc because I like to keep my attitude that the onus is on me to make a shot, not my disc. That's just my personal mental game though.

Admittedly I do love some CryZtal FLX...does that make me a hypocrite? :D

As to grip... They are really expensive but honestly I think they're the best backpack style bag in their price range. I'd take it any day over a GB or Revo...they're more comfortable and ergonomic IMHO.

opto is damn nice.

Golden Retriever has paid for itself at least a couple times for me. if mine ever wears out, I will get another.

Latest posts