• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your bag contentment?

Bag set-up contentment?

• My bag is perfect (no disc on trial)

Votes: 16 15.2%
  • Almost perfect (a couple on trial)

Votes: 60 57.1%
  • Some staples but mostly everything is on trial

Votes: 27 25.7%
  • No confidence in bag at all, mass feeling out process

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Main Bag:

Putters:
Star Aviar P+A
DX Aviar P+A
Star Mako (longer putts, short approaches, anny approaches)

Mids:
ESP meteor (very understable mid)
Cryztal Buzzz (slightly understable mid, turnovers, hyzer flips, hzyers, approaches)
ESP wasp (straight/hyzer shots)
FLX Drone (overstable mid, windy drives/approaches)

Drivers:
Flx Avenger SS (turnover driver, hyzer flips)
Star Leopard (fairway driver, long approaches)
Star TL (long straight driver)
ESP Pred. (overstable driver/ tommy disc)
Z Stalker (shorter TL, shorter tommys to land flat and slide)

I have many other discs (70+ total) that are constantly being tested, or in and out of bag, wolf, Classic Roc, Surge SS, Surge, Katana/Nuke (don't have the arm yet), soft challenger, esp focus (could get a look at as putter), Impact, long straight fairway driver, but not good in wind, skeeter, cro, DX eagle, etc. etc.

Thoughts on bag, or possible improvements?

With all those different molds, I'd go really, really simple for a while and see what you truely need.

I'll have to assume the weights are okay but I'd use:

Aviar, DX for putting, Star for driving (if necessary)
Wasp
Meteor or Mako
Predator
TL or Stalker
Leopard

Now if you really want to go simple, try:

DX Aviar
Buzzz (in between the Wasp and Meteor)
TL or Stalker or Eagle (which you said you had)
Predator (if you throw alot of OH/FH shots)

...and work as many lines as you can. Then add in S-L-O-W-L-Y...but try to limit the total number of molds. Increase your versatility.

Putters are fine if you put that Mako with your other mids where it belongs and then pick no more than 3 with those mids. I would probably only use one; in different wear if you have to, but that is just me.

To me, the TL, Leopard and Avenger SS are sort of overlapping. The Avenger is longer but I think you would be suprised how far a Leopard can go and how straight it can go with a little hyzer put on it. Comes down to taste, I know.

I am not a Stalker fan because, as you describe, its a shorter TL. As it is, there is a small gap my mids already walk between my putter distance and fairway distance when I look at controlling, I just havent seen a need for an in between mid and fairway disc.

Pred is money but I dont like to OH mine as I count on it being overstable, it does not need any extra beatings.

All personal preference really.

I agree about the Avenger SS and Lep being similar, with the Lep being just a bit shorter. I do love throwing some hyzer flip on it and getting some nice S shots out of it. I use it as approaches as well, which I would not feel comfortable using my avenger for.

I feel the Tl is different from those two (mine is very new) and only used for straight, controlled shots with little fade.

If I was eliminating a disc, it would be the stalker, as I realize the overlap with the Tl. I rarely use it, but it is something nice to play with on short tommys and has a sweet tye die, triple stamp misprint.

I do realize I have plenty of mids, and I could eliminate the wasp if I had to, but I feel very comfortable with it. I play generally tight wooded courses (Sedgley woods, tyler state park, jordan creek) and don't mind emphasizing my mids as I'll often be driving with them. it also allows me to throw a few shots different ways on a hole if I'm not carrying backups.

Pred is money and I have 2 backups that I rotate to keep the shelf life long, and I don't throw it that much (tommys put some strain on me and I don't need a very overstable driver that often, I also don't usually have much wind where I play)

To respond to FrankD, i do have backups for must of my discs. I was just listing my main discs in my bag, not my entire bag

How content are you with your bag currently? Do you feel like every disc is perfect, a slot or two is not quite filled yet, got some staples but everything else on trial, or completely hate your bag?

I'm starting to round it out to where I'm almost perfectly happy. My new Z Pred is working out well but I wish it was a little more overstable I think. My understable driver slot is up in the air right now too. Other than that, I'm pretty pleased.

This is why I spend hours in the practice field. I look for certain shots, and check for overlap. That is why I like my bag the way it is.

2 forces, 2 crushes, 2 stalkers, 1 surge ss, 1 pred, 1 avenger ss, 2 buzz, 1 meteor, 2 zones, magnet, apx swirl, challenger.

My bag has been this way since the force came out, except for when the stalkers came out I added those. tried the nuke but it just isn't as consistent for me as my forces. I throw my buddies discs when they say I have to try them but I couldn't see changing anything up.... at least not anytime soon. I would say I am completely satisfied with this set up.

With all those different molds, I'd go really, really simple for a while and see what you truely need.

I'll have to assume the weights are okay but I'd use:

Aviar, DX for putting, Star for driving (if necessary)
Wasp
Meteor or Mako
Predator
TL or Stalker
Leopard

Now if you really want to go simple, try:

DX Aviar
Buzzz (in between the Wasp and Meteor)
TL or Stalker or Eagle (which you said you had)
Predator (if you throw alot of OH/FH shots)

...and work as many lines as you can. Then add in S-L-O-W-L-Y...but try to limit the total number of molds. Increase your versatility.

This is good advice. I don't really drive with putters (tough to get a good grip and I often turn it over and can't get a clean release, I imagine this is something I should practice)

My average round generally consists of me using heavily:
Star Aviar for putting
Mako, longer putting, short approaches, shorter anny drives (recent addition to bag so tough to say generally but this is how i imagine i'll use it)

Cryztal buzzz many of my drives (I get it out to 270 on avg) and have very good control of it for tighter drives that I often have.

Wasp could easily by eliminated by Buzzz, but I don't mind having it.

the simple bag I could conmortably carry if forced to (weights are all above 170)

Putter:
Aviar

Mids
Meteor, Buzzz, Drone (i could carry wasp over drone, but would have some overlap with buzzz/wasp)

Driver:
Lep, Tl, Pred

which is similar to your suggestion. While it isn't my main bag, most of my shots thrown will come from those.

Do you think myself, or a player in general is better served by carring a small bag? I know many players that have been playing 10+ years that carry very little discs, but what are you thoughts on how many molds a player should carry?

I don't really drive with putters (tough to get a good grip and I often turn it over and can't get a clean release, I imagine this is something I should practice)

Absolutely...it's the key to cleaning up your form. I couldn't do it, either. Now I'm hitting 250 with control. Putters and mids, putters and mids, putters and mids. Use these to clean up form and push distance.

Do you think myself, or a player in general is better served by carring a small bag? I know many players that have been playing 10+ years that carry very little discs, but what are you thoughts on how many molds a player should carry?

How many molds will become a personal thing, but the point is to select good, versatile discs and really learn them well as opposed to carrying several and only using them for one thing.

The point of the small bag (as I learned the hard way) is to reduce complexity. Starting or going back to a small bag with limited molds will help you learn a) your limitations b) what discs are versatile and what are specialty.

I started small for about 3 months, but then went overboard, carrying 20 discs and about 15 molds. I went back to 5-6 discs for a while and it made the difference. Those 6 are the ones you tend to use the most, as you mentioned. The trick then is to learn to use them to cover the other shots, too, and see the limitations. Start with them, and see how it goes.

My current bag:

Just started using the Wizard. I'll never go back now.
170g Wizard SS
170g Magnet pro D

These two disc cover every mid shot.
175g Buzzz Flat Top FLX
177g Gator Champion

I know I got a lot of overlap in my drivers but this is where I am still trying to settle on a few. I also need something overstable is this category but I don't have that big of an arm. Any suggestions?
170g Leopard DX
170g Valkyrie DX
175g Sidewinder Champion
170g Beast Champion

I'm still figuring a lot of stuff out in this game, both mechanics and disc selection. Right now I'm focusing on learning how to effectively throw the discs I have before trying out new discs. I have several discs I'm pretty sure I don't like/need, and one or two newer ones that I just need practice with in order to get consistent. The core of my bag is pretty much set for now. I'll reevaluate after playing tons this summer and see if more drastic changes need to be made.

I just got an Epic...watch out world, now there's nothing I won't be able to do:)

I'm pretty darn happy with my bag right now. Only thinking about removing two and adding two more. It partly depends on how the production C-PDs turn out.

[2] Ion - Putt & approach (possibly buying a third soon...no particular reason, I just like having 3 putters)
[3] Buzzz - 1 worn Z and 2 Glo Z
[1] Wasp - Windy Buzzz (contemplating removing)
[1] Flick - Utility disc (intend to replace with a XXX for a more versatile disc)
[5] PD - 2 C-PDs for wind and FH drives, 2 S-PDs for BH drives, and 1 light P-PD for max distance
[2] Xcaliber - Max distance FH drives

Drivers:

Overstable - Boss/TeeRex
Stable- Wraiths
Understable - Sidewinder

Fairways:
Overstable - Still haven't found one I like
Stable - Brand new max weight TL
Understable - Beat in TL

Mids:
Rocs in different states of wear

Throwing Putters:
Overstable - Still looking
Stable - JK-X
Understable JK-X/Vibram Summit

Putting Putters:
JK-X.

I'm pretty happy with my bag right now.

current bag
(3) magics
(2) vps
(3) comets
(3) teebirds (one beat into a turnover disc)
(2) predators
(2) force

and sometimes one drone and one surge depending on the situation. That is my tourny bag, for casual rounds i ussually carry 2 magics, 1 vp, 3 comets, 2 teebirds, 1 pred, and 1 force.

the vp is kind of on trial i suppose.

Last edited:
Current bag (Fade Lite):

1 Star Boss 172g
1 Champ Groove 174g
1 Star Monster 175g
1 Champ Panther 172g
1 Gateway Blaze HPP 175g
1 R-Pro Dart 170g

Coming soon:
Champ Monarch 164g (replacing a 163g I lost in a pond last week) - Definitely staying in my bag.
Gateway Speed Demon HPP 176g - Never thrown one, so it will be on trial.

Pretty much every disc in my bag is permanent. The Monster is the only one that I am still trying to learn.

"Almost perfect (a couple on trial)"
Probably getting another kc roc if the flex drone i just got doesnt do what i want it to.

I defintately need to work some stuff out with my set up. Need a understable mid and a predictable understable driver. I have some ideas, but nothing has made it into my bag yet.

5 Molds

Ion
Roc
Eagle
Destroyer
XXX

Perfectly content, don't intend to add any molds. If a new mold comes along that can replace one of these I will audition it though.

picked

Almost perfect (a couple on trial)

I am in need of something super fast that I can still control, aka beating in my brand new Force so it's not a meathook, or a nuke. I can get a boss out farther than my surge, I just don't like Innova's consistency on high speed drivers, never know what type of boss I'll get. Playing around with some flip discs, and I need a second teebird because mine is now perfectly straight and I need a new overstable one.

Latest posts