• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your best shot/throw of 2014?!

Mine was at a tournament earlier this month at The Goat Path in KY. It was actually two shots that occurred a few holes apart. To set the scene, I was behind by two going into the final round and was still down one with 6 holes to go teeing off on #1.

#1 is 400' with a 90 degree dogleg left. The tee shot is open to the right, jail to the left, and so the normal play is a safe RH hyzer to the middle of the fairway to set up the approach. From the fairway to the basket the fairway narrows severely and runs fairly steeply downhill. It's a tough approach and anything long is trouble.

The leader went left and was fortunate to have a look towards the basket. He threw out to about 30' away and I had about 150' to go. I threw my Ibex and when it left my hand I liked the line but it looked like it was going to be long, but it went in for the improbable deuce. Leader missed his putt so I went from one down to one up. We traded birdies on #2 and #3 and both parred #4 so I'm still up one with two to go.

#5 is a nasty 375' hole with tons of trees and only one realistic route, which is a tough S-shaped shot. The smart play is to get past the first bunch of trees, hope for a clear upshot and take your three and move on. I was first to tee off and threw my Katana in the gap and didn't hear it hit anything but couldn't see where it finished. The guy trailing me wasn't so lucky and hit an early tree, hit another with his second, then parked his third shot. I was looking for my drive in the leaves about 50' short when the dude I was battling with said "it's up here." - turns out my drive ended up 5' from the basket for the clinching drop-in deuce. Very sweet.

But the back to backs on 4 and 5 at Bandimere felt gooooooood. I always had a feeling the path on 5 would make for easy skip ace runs, but I never thought I'd nail it after acing 4. It was a half ass star teebird flick that I barely aimed, never expected it to happen. I laughed when it went in

Aced #17 at Elm Creek with an Envy on a soft hyzer. 315 feet downhill. Heard it crash and it stuck.

Does wind help count? I had a terrible drive on a hill shot. Got stuck behind a 5 foot bush and threw a little week thumber over the top. Due to elevation change it was like throwing over an 8 foot tree. Was just trying to get it close for a par save. Well I slightly over threw it. It got caught in the wind and back door the basket. I didn't see it but the two other guys did. 3 holes later I do another escape thumber from about 50 out on elevated basket and here a "Ching". Guys were like you didn't do it again did you. I said no. No one is that lucky. Get up there and it's sitting nicely in the basket.

Making the hole 5 skip even more priceless, this is the 11x Star TeeBird I did it with...
98bssy.jpg

That's right... The Birmingham Butt Dart.

15th Hole at East Roswell Park, north of Atlanta. Uphill blind shot, then downhill fade left to the basket. I knew it was on line when it left my hand. Put my hand to my ear, and lo and behold heard the chains. Raced over the hill and there it was sitting in the basket. Second ace for me on that hole, 4th total (and two field aces) at East Roswell. Last ace on 15 was on 8/9/10, the 15th anniversary of the death of Jerry Garcia. Long live DG and God bless Jerry.

Mine was probably about a 200' throw-in early this year with a Servo. Had to anny flex FH out of trouble through about a 3' gap. #11 Web layout @ Hornet's Nest.

Probably a 120ish foot downhill jump putt for a birdie that weaved through a jail of aspen trees on the first hole of a tournament that I went on to win by 9 throws.

I hit a downhill putt that was something like 60-70ft on hole 15 of the last round to seal my first PDGA MPO win. Looking back I never should have tried the putt, but I knew I was going to make it before I even got to my disc. The best part is I made the putt to gain the deciding stroke on Yeti, who I owe most of my putting improvement too and is one of the best putters ever. It was probably the best putting day of my life, I willed myself to make everything I could.

Let me elaborate, I realize very few people get the full reference.

About 4 months ago I shattered my calcaneus (heel bone), recovery has been a long process. About a month in I was prescribed an iWalk - a hands free crutch that allows me to walk like a pirate on a peg leg while my heel heals. A week and a half ago I played my first competitive round of disc golf since the accident, a doubles match at CP Adams. I played the entire thing on my iWalk, my right foot never touched the ground except for a couple of putts. Hole 5, my 4th hole of the round. Probably less than 200', plays maybe 250' because it's fairly steep uphill. My drive, a beat dx teebird found a tight line up the gut on a hyzer flip, skipped straight ahead, tickled the chains and fell in the basket for a payday of $100.

I saw that picture of you! I know that hole, its not an easy shot, you can go deep pretty easily. Nice! hope you heal up (pun intended)

2 shots
First:
We were at Bryant Lake in MN and a small group of us were on hole 15, which is a blind shot. My friend was asking where the basket was. We were describing where it was. I threw a RHBH Anhyzer with a OS control driver (pulse) and it went up the hill anny, then hyzer faded back to center and dropped down. We all went "right where that shot went is where the basket is"--thinking it was a good shot I went up the hill looking. we couldn't see it on the ground, because it was resting in the chains. Ace'd it.

Second memorable shot:
My drive on this one wasn't great, it was off to the right in some rough. I could barely see the basket through the brush and trees. My only hope was to toss out backwards for a possible long shot for 3. I figured I didn't have much to lose, so I noticed a tiny gap under a tree then up and over. Really hard tunnel to hit as it went up and down through the trees. I took out the Flick and threw a level thumber really hard, it went through the gap then shot up, turned and flipped down to the right and landed in the basket. Crazy save...coolest 2 I shot in an odd spot. Not a memorable round, but a memorable shot.

I put my Cannon 15' from #27 at Seneca from the longs. It's 507' and a little uphill if I remember correctly. This is the hole on vid from a DGM clip. Notice all of these guys throwing rollers trying to get it there... I threw an air shot up and left over that first clump of trees and it flexed back then faded right up to the basket. It's definitely the longest shot I've ever had that landed inside the circle on a non-downhill hole.

http://youtu.be/LBS4MfN6uSE?t=29m11s

I also put my aires under 13's basket (short tee, Pin B). It's a 375' dogleg right with trees up the right side of the fairway and the creek off to the left. I threw it on a hyzer almost straight up as hard as I could and it flipped right a the turn and held it all the way to the ground right under the basket. That's probably the best turnover shot I've ever thrown.

84fbbf0c.jpg

Last edited:
Hole 8 at The ROC here in my hometown. My first and only ace so far. Thrown with a 166g Daedalus.

First ace since shoulder surgery and my only for the year. UW-Parkside, Hole 11 285ft blind ace with a 175gm Z Crush forehand. Nothing like those few suspenseful seconds after the disc disappears and you wait, hoping to hear that splash...... CHING :-D

Top Highlights:

-Entered my first Major and birdied the first hole I played in the tourney. It was something I'll not soon forget. In the same tournament birdied the cursed hole that gobbled up Feldberg's disc and cost him the Japan Open years

-Bagged 3 or 4 Aces in 2014, my favorite was at The Dragons Lair on Hole #3 with a Firebirdski.

A couple come to mind
First was an approach at Charlie Vettiner after a Terrible tee shot. Was buried in brush under a cedar and honey suckle and couldn't get to the disc to get a stance. Scooted under the brush and threw a forehand roller while laying on my back. Firebird goes over the first log then hits and bounces over the next log. Rolls through the brush and stops about 12' from the pin for an easy 3. Guy on my card snapped this pic while I was getting in position.

picture.php

Armco White #13 (Long Tee to Long Pin - 320') in Oil City Classic - Forehand through a tight gap to the left and skipped up to 10' for an east 2. Crazy tight gap that you have to play to appreciate.
Plays uphill and slopping off to the right.

This pic is the short pad to short tee - a few extra trees come into play from the long.

5ad7a3ee.jpg

85 ft. putt.

This past weekend i hit an 85 foot putt to save par 3 after clipping a tree and being out from an odd angle. I used a Millenium SS Omega 166 for the putt. That was my really only good shot of the day.

Mine was at z-boaz open. I was tied for first, on the top card, last hole, and I shanked my drive, while the other guy parked it. I was in the rough 80 ft from the pin, with only a small window at about 9 o'clock. I threw an anny putt through the window which put the disc going nearly vertical. I'm pretty sure it topped 30 feet before it started tracking back down and then the chains/cheers started.

Some guy on the second card ended up jumping us for first but I won't soon forget the 80 ft sky anny. I've made 3 or 4 aces this year and I they don't even touch that shot.

Latest posts