• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your best shot/throw of 2014?!

Aim For The Chains

FROLF OFF!
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Well.. Lets hear it! From the aces to funny shanks or tourney winning putts all is fair in the game of disc.

Ill start it off -- Was the last hole of a longer 21 hole course with a friend of mine on one of the last rounds of the year before winter hit. He was tired so I played 2 discs on 21 jokingly one for him and one for myself. Before teeing off I told him I would ace the hole for him. Stepped up to the tee first throw and mashed my ion into the chains but being an overmold putter obviously it didn't stick :| ;) ... still was a great shot to call it out and nearly hit an ace for my buddy.

23cf34db.jpg

whachu got?

Easy. After playing very poorly for the bulk of the tournament on my home course, I threw a lefty flex shot (non-dominant hand, but the better ace line) and nailed this one. A couple people said they heard chains from the tee ... I didn't believe them even a little bit :) walked up to see it sitting in the tray :eek:

3f2d0f52_t.jpg

Didn't matter one bit as far as my finish, but it was a lot of fun! And easily the best shot of my year.

My most memorable shot of the year was during our last round at Flip City this year. Had stunk it up all weekend on that hole (about 370' with a canopy that makes it somewhat difficult to get there). Last round, threw a Champ Orc that flexed perfectly, came back laser straight towards the basket, and hit the pole dead center and sat. Not the greatest shot ever...not an ace...but it's the one I remember most from this year.

Most memorable? Has to be my drive for Eagle on #4 Gold at Oregon Park. It was a beautiful sweeping 450ft FH that almost went in the basket. Thought it might be an ace, but just a long eagle. I'll take that all day though.

Hole 8 at River Falls DGC or hole 6 same course. I have left myself two feet short more damn times than I can count. Hole 8 with Envies, hole 6 with destroyers or my trusty teedevil.

I'm gonna be the weirdy here and go non-drive.

War on The Shore this year, last round, tied for lead...Massive 450' downhill to the left, but you have to clear a solid woodline before the main fairway. Drive was great, sawed off my up and left about a 60 ft downhill putt. The guy I was tied with was literally lying about 6 in from my disc. Both throwing 3. He walked up and said, "No way I'm going for that, I'll take my bogey.." and proceeded to lay up. I walked to my lie and said, "Can't win if ya don't try" in a completely joking manner. Threw it in. Wasn't a spectacular putt or anything really, it was the scenario that made it great for me. The funniest part was he looked at me and went, "I'm not even gonna complain, that was awesome."

An honorable mention was being the only person in the entire advanced division at my last tournament to birdie a 435' beast of a hole. Actually, only person in the entire event.

Aaaah, today's shot at brp. On hole 27 there is a creek running through a huge culvert, which has dirt built around it and over it so you may cross safely. I shanked my drive, it skipped into the culvert and almost came out the other side, spinning on the ice.....almost. I had to go on the ice to get my disc back. I fell through, and elmex here, ever so helpful, informs me there is a long rake I may use to get at my disc without going on the ice. Changed the socks, played round two!

Mine is technically two throws... Back to back aces at Bandimere Park. Hole 4 pure ace with a forehanded 174 SP Hurricane and hole 5 skip ace with a forehanded 175 Star Teebird. Not exactly tough holes, but c'mon, back to back aces!

I hit my first ace back in February, memorable for being an ace, but the basket was in the short position, maybe 100', and just a straight shot.

I think one of my birdies recently was better. I landed about 50' to the left of the basket with a line of trees in my way all the way down, complete with grapevines hanging down for added coverage. I threw a high hyzer FH with my Envy that got over the vines and dropped in.

Only been playing for around 2 months, hole 12 at Harry Myers in Rockwall, TX. It's a 275 foot par 3. I threw a Champ Valkyrie, nice s curve. Right out of my hand, it felt amazing. Started to the right, then faded right back in to the top of the basket. Nailed it and dropped 2 feet for a birdie drop in. When it hit it echoed through the woods, about 3 inches lower and I would have had my first ace.

Another would be about a 50 foot blind putt around some trees for birdie. Was just trying to lay up near the basket and heard chains and everyone yelling.

My most memorable shot might be the time that I was working on throwing rollers with my Roadrunner. It happened at Carmichael Park, Hole 4. A 300 foot shot with the basket on the right. I cranked out the roller and to my surprise, it stopped about 10' from the hole. I'll take that any day. I'm getting better each time I play and/or do field work. I know it's just a matter of time that I can reach a level that I can comfortably play against or with anybody.

Hit my first ace - pretty memorable (the stair hole at Middle Creek). It's blind, and fairly short, so it's not "too" difficult.

I hit metal on hole 1 of Middle Creek, it's a long tunnel shot. Usually struggle to par it. :)

Hit my first ace - pretty memorable (the stair hole at Middle Creek). It's blind, and fairly short, so it's not "too" difficult.

I hit metal on hole 1 of Middle Creek, it's a long tunnel shot. Usually struggle to par it. :)

That's gotta be one of the most rewarding feelings, hitting a bird on a hole you struggle on. There are a few that I'm glad to just hit par on.

My first skip ace. Threw a laser at a basket 280 ft away but low. The destroyer hit ground, sliced up and slammed into the chains.

Three times this year, I've turned horrible drives off the tee into pars with crazy accurate anhyzer Inertia throws. All of them were around 240- 250 feet. I swear I feel like a top pro when I hit those lines.

There have been a lot of great throws this year, but if I have to pick just one, my thumber ace at this years Colorado State Championships on hole 13 at Sunlight Mountain Resort in Glenwood Springs, CO. I had just taken a tough bogey the hole before and stepped up and threw a thumber at that little hole in the trees. Somehow it hit that hole perfectly and crashed chains. There is nothing quite like getting a tournament ace after not putting into the ace pool. So much for that $475 not in my pocket.

My most memorable shot this year was my 2nd ace in June.

Tournament time at Hibbing DGC, Hole 9. The fairway is long and straight with a slight downhill. Sign says 270'.
There is a bush about 80 feet out forcing you to play left or right. Further down the fairway, the basket is nestled back and slightly left in a opening. I knew I couldn't reach it with my preferred shot, a hyzer, so I opted for a turnover shot down the left side of the fairway, and hopefully it would come back in time towards the basket. I parked it in practice a few hours earlier.

We came up to the box and the group ahead of us was just making their way down the fairway. The group behind us caught up to us so we had a group of 10-12 people watching.

I throw my week-old inspire off the tee, looks good until it starts flipping. I was worried it was going to keep carrying right but it held just enough HSS to come back. Just before and right of the basket is a big aspen tree. I hit the gap, went around the tree and in. I didn't know it was in right away until one of my cardmates ran up and saw it! $170 bucks sure is memorable!

If anyone one has played idlewild then they would probably understand the difficulty of this shot. In the KY state doubles, I threw a FH roller up the hill on no5, probably 225-250ft. It rolled through at least 3, 4in wide gaps, along the right side of the fairway. Then rolled up a tree next to the basket and stopped about 3ft away. The first round me and my partner took a 6 on this hole, 2nd round a 3......

tee 510ft
fead12e1_m.jpg

approach
9b875df5_m.jpg

No aces again this year....

Last edited:

Latest posts