• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Your Favorite Mold Went OOP. What was It and What Replaced It?

I think the Wraith is closer to a Teerex than the Xcal is. The few Teerexes I ever threw seemed to fly like Wraiths, but with a slightly harder fade. The XCal is a speed faster than the Teerex and a whole lot more overstable. It also glides less. Side by side I'd get much more distance out of a Teerex than an Xcal.

Xcal: 12, 4, 0, 4.
Teerex: 11, 5, -0.5, 3. Teerexes actually have a bit of high speed turn.

Xcaliber on Innova site is actually a 12,4,0,4 but the Turn to the disc limits all the glides use for Distance and rather it glides with the direction of turn at end of disc flight.

TeeRex on Innova site is actually a 11,4,0,4 which is why I asked if the disc was a Xcalilber that replaced it.

Well the TeeRex was actually one of those molds that secretly had an X and L version so it's kind of anybody's guess what a TeeRex is supposed to fly like. I think I had a 'L' version. It seemed quite overstable when it was new but A) I was a complete n00b and B) I had it for so long that it became uncontrollably flippy. I don't think the X versions ever got real flippy. But I'd say try a speed slower and get a Star Starfire or maybe a S-DD b/c they can be a slightly more OS Wraith. Maybe a PDx? I guess the TeeDevil OOPed the TeeRex but I've never heard anybody really like those either.

TeeDevil was supposed to be faster in flight 12 speed but like a worn out TeeRex in the flight line. The dome on a TeeDevil is why it is not really liked and the flight was flippy The TeeRex was liked by those who use a forehand better and more then backhand as it was a speed 11,4,0,4 like a Xcaliber with a tad less glide but not as beefy because the disc is a lower speed and thus required less power to throw. I could not use a TeeRex, those discs were too far to the left for me but my dad could for forehand stuff.

I love me some star and champ aero's, I don't love the facebook market prices though...

I have a plastic addicts Habit that flies pretty close but a little more US off the shelf.
I'm trying like hell to like it so it can be an easier to find backup...

One disc I liked that no one else seemed to was the Karbon Cell, you can kind of still get it, the Yao is the same disc. But they don't run it in Tiger line plastic anymore.

The plastic feels really good and grippy and they molded up way flatter. All premium Yao have a pretty good sized dome. It made them a bit less stable and glide. Like a smaller diameter Truth, but maybe a touch more fade.

I have thrown Bards for a couple years now, but I still have a few of these guys that I'll use in wet weather.

They are about as durable as a chocolate kettle though...

Eagle L, especially the old pat # version of the mold. #RIP

Have tried the Exodus in S-Blend and it's a fine disc, but not truly a replacement. Have not seen any reviews on the luster version. I was hoping those would mold up flat and be close to the old flatter opaque champ 11X Eagle L's. However, those are still being made in the newer/Post-Patent-Number iteration of the mold.

Wait? They made a luster exodus. I am really digging the Exodus but want a nice flat one, they just aren't the same as the old Eagle Ls that I have.

Hmm, I thought they did. There are certainly some "C-blend" (champ) Exoduses, I see a few for sale on eBay currently. They are nice and opaque, i.e. not the jolly launcher variety. Not sure if it's exactly what Innova would call luster. But they sure look decent!

My guess would be the 11x. They still make the DX ones so the mold isn't OOP at least.

No they don't. The Gazelle is OOP as to Wade from DGC in a question I asked him. They are no longer on the order list from Innova.

I was throwing the DX ones you could buy in the shops for the last few years, so my guess is that they were the last run.

The Discraft Eclipse was my favorite for the longest time. Discraft didn't replace it, best I can tell. So I throw an MVP Relay instead.

Wait? They made a luster exodus. I am really digging the Exodus but want a nice flat one, they just aren't the same as the old Eagle Ls that I have.

Flattest ones were light blue high 150g's in star (mine is 159g). Also fly more stable than the heavies IME and have a higher PLH. I have thrown some of the first run yellows (s blend) in high weights and I can get them to turn a little with 300' power (the light blues are still no turn for me at 330'). I'm at about 5000 feet for reference.

Not sure if they have any of the first run light blues left but they were the best throwers for what I wanted out of them. The yellow I threw was still useful but seemed less stable fresh than I expect of an Eagle L.

Flattest ones were light blue high 150g's in star (mine is 159g). Also fly more stable than the heavies IME and have a higher PLH. I have thrown some of the first run yellows (s blend) in high weights and I can get them to turn a little with 300' power (the light blues are still no turn for me at 330'). I'm at about 5000 feet for reference.

Not sure if they have any of the first run light blues left but they were the best throwers for what I wanted out of them. The yellow I threw was still useful but seemed less stable fresh than I expect of an Eagle L.

My Exodus is also a light blue 159g S-blend, and it flies as you've described. I've held off getting a second one, but I would not mind a little less stable one, so I might try one of the oth weights and colors.

I remember the days of walking into the disc shop and being presented with an array of XDs, which were my favorite touch and approach disc. I should have bought them all!

Now I use a thrashed lightweight Omega SS to carve anny upshots. The XD should have never been discontinued. Nothing Innova has released like it with has matched the feel and flight IMO.

My guess would be the 11x. They still make the DX ones so the mold isn't OOP at least.

Yeah it is not oop but a very similar disc in flight is the TL just a speed faster and not quite as flippy to the right. My brother in 2011 or so had to use the DX mold of Gazelle again used before Road Runner. In 2011-2013 the Road Runner his main flippy disc was hard to find at the time and he did not want to lose his only disc.

Last edited:
I remember the days of walking into the disc shop and being presented with an array of XDs, which were my favorite touch and approach disc. I should have bought them all!

Now I use a thrashed lightweight Omega SS to carve anny upshots. The XD should have never been discontinued. Nothing Innova has released like it with has matched the feel and flight IMO.

I forget did the XD have a bead at all? If so the Lighting Upshot #2 in base plastic is what you might be looking for in flight and feel.

I forget did the XD have a bead at all? If so the Lighting Upshot #2 in base plastic is what you might be looking for in flight and feel.

The XD was shallow and beadless, very similar to a Classic Roc without the bead. I threw the Lat 64 Spike for a while, but kind of gave up on the shallow putters.

Yeah it is not oop but a very similar disc in flight is the TL just a speed faster and not quite as flippy to the right. My brother in 2011 or so had to use the DX mold of Gazelle again used before Road Runner. In 2011-2013 the Road Runner his main flippy disc was hard to find at the time and he did not want to lose his only disc.

Gazelles are stable.
Not flippy.

Thought it would be cool to have a thread for people to reminisce about their favorite molds they had to give up for whatever reason (cost, availability, etc). Did you ever find a suitable replacement and so forth?

I love the Discraft 2008 Ace Race disc, the Nebula. Discraft never ran it into production except for some Limited Edition runs in Z. Fortunately, I had the foresight to stockpile these and should be good for awhile but 2008 is nearly 11 years ago and nothing lasts forever. I think the best replacement I've tried is the Verdict, b/c they start out decently beefy and still fly fairly straight after beatings. No bead and a little faster feeling too, which I like about the Nebula.

What OOP molds are y'all yearning for?

I also have a fairly good stash of Nebs (hit me up if you need some; I like Zones just as much). Are the Verdicsts also small diameter?

I had a Talon that was epically straight. I use Eagles now, but haven't got one that flies like that.

*Edit: Just saw the Flash and Crush were OOP. Neither has made my bag much, but the Wraith is my Flash replacement. I guess an Orc might replace a Crush. My buddy throws Flashes a lot. I think he's going slower with Eagles or something to replace them.

Last edited:
I also have a fairly good stash of Nebs (hit me up if you need some; I like Zones just as much). Are the Verdicsts also small diameter?

Unfortunately not. That's the hardest thing about finding a Nebula replacement, small diameter mids with fresh Z Buzzz type stability is a dead zone. The Verdict at least feels a little smaller in the hands so seems similar. But the flight/speed seems fairly ballpark. :\

Discraft Z Crush

I wouldn't call it my #1 favorite but it got a lot of use. Feels great for my FH grip, not too fast (speed 11) & plenty OS. I guess it didn't sell very well but it was such a good mold.

I'm using FD3's & Thunderbirds appropriately for that OS driver spot. Speed 9 is my preference.

Discraft Z Crush

I wouldn't call it my #1 favorite but it got a lot of use. Feels great for my FH grip, not too fast (speed 11) & plenty OS. I guess it didn't sell very well but it was such a good mold.

I'm using FD3's & Thunderbirds appropriately for that OS driver spot. Speed 9 is my preference.

Have you tried a Pulse? The Pulse might be a hair faster than a Crush, but they feel and fly pretty much the same. I thought the Pulse did everything the Crush did, but better.

Latest posts