• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Your thoughts on the Innova Gator?

Gator?

• Yay!

Votes: 244 59.2%
  • Nay!

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • Never tried it.

Votes: 132 32.0%

• Total voters
Saw that, didn't know if there were tourny stamps out there as well.

After further testing today, the dx gator is pretty solid. I guess it's the massive dome but it is straight to fade out to 250 - 275. Almost a different flight than the champ which seems to slow and start fading after about 100ft. This is just my experience and may just be the run of gator I picked up. Depending on how it breaks in, I could really like it.

I got my first Gator about a month ago. I was looking for a very overstable roc type disc so I bought a Champ metal flake and I found what I was looking for.

imo if you want a beat in Gator buy a Roc.

I got my first Gator about a month ago. I was looking for a very overstable roc type disc so I bought a Champ metal flake and I found what I was looking for.

imo if you want a beat in Gator buy a Roc.

Not really on the quest for a beat Gator, just curious. I've bought a few Rocs over the years and never really had that "Wow" feeling with them. I know you are supposed to break them in before giving up on them, but never had the deisre to go that far with them. The wing on the Gator is so blunt and with the big bead, it just looks tough.

My buddy uses a DX Gator sometimes and it's the tits. Molded up exactly like our champs but starts out less stable and beats in nicely...better than pretty much any DX disc. The blunt nose and bead hold up so cleanly in DX and DX feels better than champ so it's just great. Just not quite the meathook that a champ or star is so it is what it is.

I know a lot of guys who always bag a gator for HW approaches & shorter utility shots. The gator may not get much fanfare but it's a workhorse for sure.

I use a zone for more of the shots that I see other folks throwing gators. I've been thinking about getting a gator for the inbetweensies range where I don't want to stretch the zone that far but a banshee is overkill.

I have a flat top Glo Champ Gator from the factory store that is one disc that never ever leaves my bag except when I throw it. And I throw it a lot on FH approach shots and of the tee forehand on shorter holes in the 180-230 foot range. I use a soft Harp for shots shorter than that but the Gator just handles power so much better when I need to crank on it to get it there. I also love it for powered down floating flex lines to get around trees and find the basket. It executes that slow floating flex line better than any disc I've ever thrown.

I rarely throw my Gator BH I usually throw a Verdict or Harp for BH OS shots.

I much prefer the big bead blunt nose configuration of the glo champs over the domey versions that are out there.

Mine is a tank. It's one of those discs that I may can't live without.

Not a fan of the DX flight plate, but the flight makes it a workhorse for sure. Handles torque and wind without blinking an eye. Nice straight line flight at full power out to 200-225 and then fades hard. Or flex it out as August said. I definitely would suggest a champ Gator to compare to a Zone, the DX just isn't that beefy, altough I've never thrown the Pro D version of the Zone.

Anyone with a gstar gator could you please post thoughts on the flight plate and beefiness. TIA.

If somebody snagged a bunch of those beadless metal flakes from dgu the other week PLEASE pm me I'll trade about anything I have. Easily my favorite approach and I've yet to get a beadless that reminds me of the one from my olden days.

Have you looked into a Hyzerbomb Mortar? Supposed to be the beadless gator. Have no experience with either, but that's how they advertise it.

Mine is a tank. It's one of those discs that I may can't live without.

I came to post this. Champ Gators are TANKS. That squared off blunt wing is the tits. It shrugs off abuse like nothing else. Of course you don't make comments like this after having a great round. But it would have been a lot worse without my pal Gator.

old school mold. stupid os. out of date so many other options. but the gurus still love this classic nothing wrong with that.

old school mold. stupid os. out of date so many other options. but the gurus still love this classic nothing wrong with that.

How is it "out of date?" There are plenty of other options but it does what it does very well. It's slow, wind resistant, overstable, and completely reliable. I haven't thrown anything else that does the same thing more reliably or better in any particular way. Not that there aren't other good options, but none of them are demonstrably "better."

I literally snorted in derision when I read Dr. Smooth calling a Gator "old school." Old school discs were NOT overstable, and of old discs that were the first truly OS discs, the Gator is the new kid on the block.

I have bagged Gators off and on throughout the years, but it's never found a permanent spot in my bag. It is very much a utility disc and honestly I dont use it enough when it is bagged. Long time Gator throwers can certainly work magic with theirs; Ive seen some amazing Gator shots before.

Also, I always preferred beadless Gators despite generally favoring beaded discs. I had the Mortar in the bag for a few months: it is 100% a beadless Gator and a fun, comfortable mold.

Latest posts