• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Your thoughts on the Innova Gator?

Gator?

• Yay!

Votes: 244 59.2%
  • Nay!

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • Never tried it.

Votes: 132 32.0%

• Total voters
I played in a doubles league last year with a guy who actually putted with a star gator. That thing was so old and abused, it was amazing the relationship he had with it. It was definitely a thing of beauty.

The gator-an out of date os type lid. So many great os mids that have been nearly perfected.

The gator is a very old school mold that is lacking any continuity in the flight plate. Just look at the dam thing it does not have a seamless transition whatsoever and it inferior compared to better disc molds.

But if you love it go for it.

Glad my Gators can't read this nonsense, they'd get a inferiority complex and stop getting me aces and sweet approaches. Damn near had my 4th Gator ace tonight (hit the pole).

Let's face it, Gators go where all other discs fear to tread, not scared of any headwind and one of the best timeless utility discs ever made.

Not even scared of my K-N-arly feet.

Attachments

• IMG_3322.jpg
    IMG_3322.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 93
Holy 7 year thread bump. Who throws the outdated useless gator anyways?!

I had the Gator out of my bag for 6 months or so, but I just put it back in. Man did I miss this disc. So many shots that I would have to power down my Firebird/FD3 just a little too much and the Gator nails those shots perfectly. Such a good disc. Ring of Gators FTW.

I don't know what I would do without my Champ Gator. It is my go to forehand approaches and get out of trouble hyzers and spike hyzers. It is great for a limited backhand driver. It is so overstable and glideless that I can put all the power I want and it will go no farther than 230'. Nice for shorter holes.
I lost it last year and it was horrible. Someone found it and got it back to me, but that experience scared me into buying some backups. At the time Champ Gators were hard to go by, so I picked up a Hyzerbomb Mortar(beadless Gator) to save in my car. I have since picked up an old MF Tourney Champ Gator and last week picked up the new MF Champ Gator forgetting I already had 2 backups.

My 2 GStar Gators are things of beauty. Fantastic utility discs for a variety of hard fade lines. Perfect for strong headwind upshots.

Necro Bump.

Read thru some of the Gator threads about cycling Gators and wanted to see what they broke in to. So I picked up a dx Gator and it definitely is a more workable flight than champs. My question is, is the flight plate on dx Gators always so soft and domey? All the dx Gators at the local PIAS were pretty domey and soft/flexible flight plate. I wish they felt more like a dx Thunderbird.

I don't think cycling gators makes a lot of sense. The only reason to throw a gator is to have a slow, not very glidey, very over stable midrange. A beat gator is just going to be a crappy, not very good at anything midrange. A lot of people can't even find room for one such disc in their mid lineup, much less several.

I've had two Gators, a beaded star and a DX. Not a disc that worked for me, never could find a valid use for it. finally traded the last one away last week. I prefer the Drone, but I don't use that much either.

A beat gator is just going to be a crappy, not very good at anything midrange.

True. However, I find the Gator makes a good putter when the wind is beating my face. My Gators are in Star plastic, but I would imagine that a beat DX Gator should still be a good headwind putter.

I like my first run glow gator. Its still super overstable and I really only use it for flick approaches and spike hyzers. But it works really well for those shots. Replaced my zone so I dont have to use discrap

DX gators have been soft, waxy, and domey for years now. Just terrible. You can still find old DX bar stamps, which were great. They have a mild dome (not poppy) like a good roc, and the plastic is the dense, tacky DX. The good stuff. I have one, which I don't bag regularly. It's a shame, because if I could get my hands on them, it would be a regular in my bag.

I just picked up a jawbreaker zone though, and I really like it a lot for what I would use DX gators for. Great grip, firmish, comfortable FH and BH, very workable but overstable flight.

I don't think cycling gators makes a lot of sense. The only reason to throw a gator is to have a slow, not very glidey, very over stable midrange. A beat gator is just going to be a crappy, not very good at anything midrange. A lot of people can't even find room for one such disc in their mid lineup, much less several.

If you read the threads on the gator where people bothered to try, this was not the impression given.

I do agree the dx gators are domey pos's. This is why I gave up cycling them.

Latest posts