• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Your thoughts on the Innova Gator?

Gator?

• Yay!

Votes: 244 59.2%
  • Nay!

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • Never tried it.

Votes: 132 32.0%

• Total voters
This thread has me about to dive into AJ to get my cfr back err this cold weather glad to learn the dx is more stable than star for my next purchase.

Complete Yay from me - I've thrown that thing for about 40 percent of my shots this windy winter. Totally reliable in the wind and makes a reliable wind putter too - I have a star model and it's fantastic.

I got a Star Gator over the holidays and finally got a chance to use it and holy crap. Everything I've read in this thread is no lie:

Overstable? Yar.
Will it punish you if your form/snap is "off"? Yesh.
Has as much glide as a chunk of concrete? You betcha.
Great for tricky shots and approaches. Yuppers.

I certainly didn't do a good job of throwing the Gator, but I could tell from the first time I used it that it would have a place in my bag. As for a place in my heart, it's going to have to buy me dinner first.

Crazy love for the Gator! I did vote "never tried it" but looking at these responses, might have to pick one up.

I have a dx gator and I don't really think it's that overstable. I think of it as a blank canvas, like the most generic disc possible. As soon as the disc leaves my hand I know what it will do, whether it be good or bad. The appeal of this disc is it's simplicity. Even though I can't think of a bad thing about this disc, for some reason I don't really use it alot. Some rounds it won't get used at all, but usually when I whip it out it performs.

I have a Star X Out Gator (well had, just lost, er, misplaced it). Quite overstable but deadly accurate and predictable, especially into the wind. It can be turned over slightly if necessary, but at the turnover point I would be throwing it 150 ft and thats about fairway driver length for me... I just picked up an Opto Line Core and it reminds me of the Gator with its tendency to be slightly overstable but with great glide. It's going to be a competition between the 2 to see who stays in the bag.

One of the things I like most about it is the skip I get at the end of the shot, it tends to be 10-20 feet and rolls out nicely without getting away too much. Reminds me of what the wraith does if it hits bare ground on a long shot.

Innova suggests it's for power players trying to control their arm. When its gotta fade... gator

I HAD a DX Gator, loved it, lost it. Got a star one, didn't like the beadless beasty, didn't like the almost rounded rim on the inside top it felt slippy, traded a buddy for his ESP Zone which I think feels more like the DX one so its filled the slot. Just like throwing a plate.. made of concrete.

Star Gator is very overstable, good control but not much glide.

DX gator I used to have was awesome and went a little straighter, I don't know if they make them anymore?

I have a CFR Gator and it has a permanent place in my bag! Sweet, sweet, sweet overstable midrange that has saved me on more than one occassion!

get a CFR or champ gator

The CFR/Champ Gator is truly the best of the bunch. That is probably why they are always in high demand when it comes to those who truly love gators. The gummy ones truly are amazing and are second to none. The star and dx are just way different. If you are looking for one or aren't sure which one to get.........LOOK FOR THE CFR's!

Great utility disc. I use it for midrange right to left holes (fades in hard and skips nicely). I also throw it into a headwind where I need a lot of control, cannot go right no matter what, and don't need all that much distance. It is also handy as a forearm if you need a nice straight disc. I haven't tried it yet as an overhand, I'll have to do that next time out. I don't throw it often, but when I need it no other disc will do.

Recently picked up a Star max weight and I like it a lot. Tons of hyzer with no glide or skip. Great disc for laying up. Threw a blind spike-hyzer with it the other day that nearly smashed the basket.

I know this thread is ancient, but I stumbled onto reading about the gator recently and curiosity got the best of me, so I ordered a glow gator from the factory store. I hope I like it.

Latest posts