• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Zone Replacement

Powered down Whippet is closer to the Zone than a Pig isn't it? And it is very easy to power down accurately if you actually take the time to learn it.

I used a Whippet on all of my approach shots for a while until I switched to a Sinus in order to get rid of the skip.

I've been finding Pigs in stiff R Pro that feels really nice and is taking tree hits very well.

Unless the OP is sponsored by Innova, I don't understand this thread.
Why replace something you like with something else?
Call me silly, but I'll never understand the "I'm looking for a replacement for my ________. What else flies similiar to it?"

3 reasons why a Pig is better than a Zone.

1. The Pig doesn't skip 800ft when it lands, it sticks which makes it a far superior approach disc.
2. The Pig doesn't feel like **** in your hand, it's got a nice beefy rim with a thumbtrac that feels great.
3. If you throw Pigs you're not just another DC fanboy spouting a bunch of nonsense about how Innova sucks and everything DC is amazing.

3 reasons the zone is better than the pig
1. The zone has a nice predictable skip allowing you to get further around those hyzer obstacles and closer to the pin.
2. The zone doesn't feel like **** in your hand, it's got a nice narrow rim that's easy to grip and no annoying thumbtrack.
3. If you throw zones you're not just another innova fanboy spouting a bunch of nonsense about how DC sucks and everything innova is amazing.

Best two back to back post I think ever

it is the be all end all!! zone for the win!!!! I love Lamp
I also love lamp.

Rhyno is the best if you want the disc to sit when it lands.

Zones skip.

Pigs roll away.

The older Whippets were a nice overstable driver. The current X mold Whippets are so overstable that they seem to be only useful for what you would use a Zone for. I don't play the skip often enough to take up a spot in my bag with an approach disc that skips. I usually just power down my Firebird or 11x Eagle-X, but I probably only use that shot maybe once a month.

Once you go Zone, you don't go back.

But, if you did, I'd say the Pig is a fine substitute. Maybe even a Gummy Champ Rhyno.

prob not what you want to hear but the esp zone is the most unique and dependable disc i have ever thrown.. i will ALWAYS carry a Zone. I guess if you just really really want to switch it up i would try the Pig but i just prefer the zone for many reasons but everyone is different :eek:

I heard a VP is similar. If you're into that kind of thing.

I vote Pig. I will always vote Pig. or Rhyno...heck, I carry both. But there's a lot of options really. Everyone is going to have their faves...but if you love Zones, why switch?

The blunt nosed gator, like the glow run of gator, are the closest in stability and flight although they are a hair longer. The champ plastic is a little firmer/slicker than the run of Z used for the Z Zone very close to the glo Z zones.

I find the premium Jokeri and Z zone nearly identical in every way even the dimensions are only like .02 or .2 mm off on ... rim depth ... I think it was but all others were the same very similar discs.

The pig feels nothing like the zone in hand in shape plastic or anything, the gummier Rhynos are close in plastic feel but shape is nothing like it. The big bead on the blunt nosed gators isn't as obtrusive as you'd think and is the closest feeling to the zone in shape as the bead "feels" like the edge of the lopsided "V" edge of the zone in your hand.

There are quite a few discs that can achieve the flight path of a Zone, the problem is that the Zone's rim is pretty unique in hand and that most other discs won't feel like that, for better or worse. As my best comparison, my best friend carries a Zone, while I carry a Rhyno. We use them in the EXACT same areas basically. Their purposes are the same, even if their shape is different. I don't like the Zone's rim, but to each his own. It it saves you strokes, it is impossible to dispute. Main discs I'd recommend if you are looking to duplicate that Zone flight path, but from Innova are (not all putters necessarily):

Roc - Seriously, this disc powered down will fly quite similarly and can be used for other roles as well.
Bulldog - OOP mid that flies dead straight with a hard late fate, much like a Zone.
Pig - I'm a fan of the Thumbtrac. Its not for everyone. Disc flies great and R-Pro plastic stops on a dime.
Rhyno - Basically a slow Pig, and the Pig is a slow Zone to me. My favorite and only OS putter.
Gator - Greater distance potential, but still a straight flight followed by that same dependable fade a Zone boasts.
Cro - The Cro is a straighter Gator to me. Far more laser straight, with a touch of fade after it has really dropped off speed.

Those are about your only options from Innova to fill this role. Any of them can do it, its more about what other uses would you want it for and what feel more sure in hand. For me, it's the Rhyno, but I don't FH my Rhyno. A non-Thumbtrac putter seems easier to grip, and a mid range may fit a FH grip even better still.

GATOR is a bit faster but it is the most suitable replacement for a Zone from the Innova line imo. Pig would work for approaches but if you want the skip shot get the Gator.

I actually switched away from the old Champ Gators to Cryztal/Z Zones to save $$. So I'll argue the Gator/Zone bit all day. Gator is slightly faster and even more OS though.

Latest posts