• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Zone vs Rat

brian j

Double Eagle Member
I'm a long time Zone thrower who also throws mostly Innova. Has anyone throw both of these discs? Inflight makes it look like they're almost identical.

Attachments

• E2FD9505-8CF2-4BFB-A69B-29806DBFC191.jpg
    E2FD9505-8CF2-4BFB-A69B-29806DBFC191.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 93
Rat is noticeably less stable. Flight chart shows them to be a lot closer than they actually are. Zone feels better to me and flies better. Zone and Harp are extremely close, Zone and Rat not so much. I too throw mostly Innova and thought the zone would give me a full Innova lineup, but it cant replace the Zone or Harp in my mind.

I bag both. Depends what you like the Zone for. I like my Zones concave and as OS as possible, for a utility purposes.

The Rat does not quite fit that spot, at least not for long. When brand new the Rat is as high-speed stable as a Zone, but that Rat beats in to show a little bit of flip pretty quickly. Similar speed and [lack of glide], but I think the Rat goes farther because the fade is not as severe and not as sudden.

If you like Zones that flip a little bit and don't fade so hard, Rat might be very similar.

Grip feels extremely similar for me between Zone and Rat.

There's a thread for the Rat, some good information in there, as well as comparisons to the Zone:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130160

Last edited:
Rat is a great driving putter. Almost like a shorter teebird. Straight with a solid and accurate fade.

I'm a long time Zone thrower who also throws mostly Innova. Has anyone throw both of these discs? Inflight makes it look like they're almost identical.

I own both and have thrown both a bit. IMHO these molds do, and are meant to do, different things. The Zone is very overstable, even when thrown with power; while the Rat is less overstable, straight with fade when thrown with power. I'd say the Inflight chart of the Rat that you posted is a bit skewed to the OS side.

P.S. Both are excellent discs for their intended purposes.

Rat flies like a proD zone, just straight with a hair of fade.

AKA the zones no one but me like

Rat flies like a proD zone, just straight with a hair of fade.

AKA the zones no one but me like

I too bag a D or X-Soft for that dead straight flight with a smidge of fade.

Rat feels a tiny bit smaller in the hand to me, but if I wasn't getting the flight out of my base plastic Zones, I'd definitely pair the two.

So the Rat is advertised as "the most overstable beadless putter from Innova." And people here are generally saying that non base plastic Zones are definitely more overstable than the Rat.

So how would the Rat compare to a Star Big Bead Aviar Driver? (Looking for opinions here and not just trusting what the inflight guide says.)

I bag an ESP Zone and Star BB Aviar. I'm not looking for new molds, but the Rat could be interesting. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'd say the Pig is probably "the most overstable beadless putter from Innova." It has a thumbtrack, but no bead. I haven't thrown a Rat, but judging from other people's comments on here, it doesn't seem nearly as overstable as a Pig.

So the Rat is advertised as "the most overstable beadless putter from Innova." And people here are generally saying that non base plastic Zones are definitely more overstable than the Rat.

So how would the Rat compare to a Star Big Bead Aviar Driver? (Looking for opinions here and not just trusting what the inflight guide says.)

I bag an ESP Zone and Star BB Aviar. I'm not looking for new molds, but the Rat could be interesting. Thanks.

I thought it was the AviarX3 that was advertised as the most overstable beadless putter from Innova. The Rat is more of a mid, as well. I agree with those that say the Zone is more OS than the Rat.

I have a Star BB Aviar, but I haven't thrown it in a long time. I'll have to dig it out and make comparison throws with the Rat and see how they do...

Edited to add: I haven't thrown a Pig, but from what I've read, I'd agree with hugheshilton that the Pig is more overstable than the Rat.

Last edited:
I thought it was the AviarX3 that was advertised as the most overstable beadless putter from Innova. The Rat is more of a mid, as well. I agree with those that say the Zone is more OS than the Rat.

I have a Star BB Aviar, but I haven't thrown it in a long time. I'll have to dig it out and make comparison throws with the Rat and see how they do...

Edited to add: I haven't thrown a Pig, but from what I've read, I'd agree with hugheshilton that the Pig is more overstable than the Rat.

Pig is as overstable as a Zone or fairly close to it but slower. The newer runs of Champion Rhyno on the other hand might not be as overstable but it is a better wind fighter then a R-Pro or Pro Pig simply due to having a pronounced lack of glide to the DX or R-Pro/Pro Rhyno. I do not know how the Star and G Star Rhyno fly so I can't comment on those models.

Last edited:
I've been throwing a GStar Aviar Driver(big bead mold) since I started playing disc golf. I wouldn't call it overstable. The fade is pretty mild, and it will turn a little- or a lot into a headwind. The Pig is a good step up in stability. I'd call it a slower Mortar- maybe a little less overstable, but that might just be because it's slower? I really like the Pig, and would probably own one if they were available in anything other than R-Pro without paying the shipping from the factory store. The only Zone I've thrown was a Jawbreaker, which wasn't really all that overstable- and it was brand new. I'd say it was similar to the Pig/Mortar.

Haven't thrown a Rat, but they feel nice. My guess would be similar to the Pig. I'd be shocked if it weren't noticeably beefier than a big bead Aviar.

Pig is as overstable as a Zone or fairly close to it but slower. The newer runs of Champion Rhyno on the other hand might not be as overstable but it is a better wind fighter then a R-Pro or Pro Pig simply due to having a pronounced lack of glide to the DX or R-Pro/Pro Rhyno. I do not know how the Star and G Star Rhyno fly so I can't comment on those models.

I've never tried a Pig, and maybe I should just to see what all the fun is about. I have a Champ Rhyno. It's a good mold, pretty accurate on approaches, and fairly overstable though not as much as I originally expected it to be. I settled on the Polecat as my approach disc, but the Rhyno gets use in my alternate bag on a short wooded course in my home county.

So many good discs, so little time...

I've never tried a Pig, and maybe I should just to see what all the fun is about. I have a Champ Rhyno. It's a good mold, pretty accurate on approaches, and fairly overstable though not as much as I originally expected it to be. I settled on the Polecat as my approach disc, but the Rhyno gets use in my alternate bag on a short wooded course in my home county.

So many good discs, so little time...

I don't think you need to waste your time on the Pig honestly, SD86. I love Pigs, but I also love baseline plastic and don't mind buying from the Innova Factory Store occasionally to get stiff Pro Pigs. Given that you don't like baseline or the Factory Store, I don't think the Pig is the mold for you. There are plenty of good overstable approach putters in premium plastic out there. I've tried the Blizzard Champion Pigs as well, and they really are not the same disc. I know there are a few people who like them, but they just feel and fly differently enough that they're not going to really give you an idea of why people love regular Pigs.

To me, one of the big virtues of the Pig (vs say a Zone, Mortar, Gator, etc.) is that they tend to hit and stick more. You don't have to play for a big skip like you do with a Zone (and hope that wet grass or a tree root don't eat your skip). I'd guess that is mainly due to the Pig's baseline plastic; other than that, it flies similarly to a Zone, although maybe a tad slower.

Oops! Thanks.

Guess I need to watch more dg videos to quote the Innova ads properly.

Thanks, everyone.

The newer runs of Champion Rhyno on the other hand might not be as overstable but it is a better wind fighter then a R-Pro or Pro Pig simply due to having a pronounced lack of glide to the DX or R-Pro/Pro Rhyno.
:confused::\:wall:
Utter nonsense, allow me to paraphrase "the champ has less glide than the pro in a Rhyno therefore its better than a Pig". This is horribly flawed logic. Pigs are just fine as wind fighters... back to Rats and Zones please

Last edited:
I don't think you need to waste your time on the Pig honestly, SD86. I love Pigs, but I also love baseline plastic and don't mind buying from the Innova Factory Store occasionally to get stiff Pro Pigs. Given that you don't like baseline or the Factory Store, I don't think the Pig is the mold for you. There are plenty of good overstable approach putters in premium plastic out there. I've tried the Blizzard Champion Pigs as well, and they really are not the same disc. I know there are a few people who like them, but they just feel and fly differently enough that they're not going to really give you an idea of why people love regular Pigs.

To me, one of the big virtues of the Pig (vs say a Zone, Mortar, Gator, etc.) is that they tend to hit and stick more. You don't have to play for a big skip like you do with a Zone (and hope that wet grass or a tree root don't eat your skip). I'd guess that is mainly due to the Pig's baseline plastic; other than that, it flies similarly to a Zone, although maybe a tad slower.

In fairness, I don't dislike base plastics, I just prefer premium plastic in all but my putting putters. I'd throw DX Polecats if the Champ ones didn't exist.

Having said that, you're probably right that I would not bag a Pig, as I'm pretty happy with what I'm using now (especially if the Deputy works out). But I might still try a Pig to see what all the talk is about. After all, I tried the Polecat based on discussions on these boards, so we'll what happens.

Latest posts