• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

rooneytunes said:
bill said:
rooneytunes said:
Can someone compare the C-TD to a Quantum OLS? Does the TD have a lower cruising speed or about the same?

i'm throwing the C-TD at least 30' farther. i put the qols down and replaced it with a river. the qols was very straight for me but didn't have the glide the river or C-TD has.

The river is my go to fairway driver in lighter winds and wooded courses. The river has crazy D potential for its speed, so maybe I don't need a TD cause it will overlap more than I want. It's just so hard to ignore the DGR hype machine :lol:

They wont make you throw better, if that helps. They fly really well for me, but lots of discs do. If you already like the River for a control driver that you can flip, just stick with it. They are similar enough that I don't think both would ever be necessary.

sunspot said:
Will I miss the PD if I use the TD and Pred instead?

The PD is more disc than those two put together. I like the TD because it imitates my year-seasoned champystar SPD and is easier to replace. Otherwise, it doesn't do anything a variation of the PD can't.

I disagree that a PD can fly like a Predator. I've been messing around with the TD and Predator combo, and I don't feel anything missing at all. I wouldn't hesitate to at least try it.

I like the C-TD so far because it fits neatly between P and S-PDs due the characteristics that also make it a longer disc for me. It's more HSS and LSS than the P, especially the stiffer Ps there I prefer to throw (I actually couldn't really properly compare the softer P-PDs to stuff any longer because it has been quite a while since I have thrown one and my throw is better than it was back then) while being less stable in both ways than the S-PD.

Fresh P-PD: Turns too hard and too fast with a fair amount of anhyzer and doesn't fight back enough, requiring more height and left-to-right room for extra distance
Fresh S-PD: Too stable in general, fights out of the anhyzer too fast and fades harder
Seasoned S-PD: Similar to the C-TD like Mike mentioned, I used to have a seasoned champystar one just like the one he has and it was indeed good for the TDesque flight. I did feel like it was a little easier to flip too far though

I can throw the TD with a fair amount of anhyzer and have it still reliably take a slow-turning flight and come back at the end without needing a ton of left-right room to do so. I *can* do the same thing with PDs but less reliably; just a guess but I'd say that if I could get that max distance line just right with a PD 2/10 times I could do it 5/10 with the TD.

discspeed said:
sunspot said:

The PD is more disc than those two put together. I like the TD because it imitates my year-seasoned champystar SPD and is easier to replace. Otherwise, it doesn't do anything a variation of the PD can't.

if you have a pd, if it's a S-PD, i don't know why you would ever drop it to try any other stable long range driver. i've had my favorite 172 neon yellow in the bag for close to a year and have played with it every round i've played and it's still my head wind driver and really my longest driver. in a head wind it's straight as can be and only flips over when i screw up.

discspeed, does your seasoned S-PD finish straight like a new C-TD, even if you power down or if there's no headwind?

When Discspeed and I were looking through the stack of C-TDs last week we noticed that the yellows were a lower PLH than the oranges and merlots we looked at (I bought a 172g orange). I went back the other day to pick out a lighter weight yellow so I'd also have a less stable one to throw but in doing so I noticed that all the lighter yellows (marked 168g) had the same PLH as the more stable TDs. While sifting through the stack and comparing PLHs I also found a bunch of domier oranges and merlots (mostly merlots I think) that had lower PLH so there doesn't seem to be any consistency among colors in this particular run. I ended up grabbing a lower PLH 172g yellow (oddly enough the less stable yellows seem to have the same dome as the normal TDs like the orange I previously bought) but I wonder if those domey ones with lower PLH might be even longer due to extra glide.

bill said:
discspeed said:
sunspot said:

if you have a pd, if it's a S-PD, i don't know why you would ever drop it to try any other stable long range driver. i've had my favorite 172 neon yellow in the bag for close to a year and have played with it every round i've played and it's still my head wind driver and really my longest driver. in a head wind it's straight as can be and only flips over when i screw up.

discspeed, does your seasoned S-PD finish straight like a new C-TD, even if you power down or if there's no headwind?

Yes, it does finish straight. It has a little less movement in it's flight than the CTD, but otherwise it's a very similar flight. The beat PD flips slower as well, which is why it has a straighter flightpath. It is a year old 175 red champystar SPD that had a little high speed turn out of the box. It is a little more understable than my CTD as well.

There is no way I'm taking that disc out of my bag (It's got a $100 ace on it as well :p ). I just live in a place where lost discs happen frequently, so I like having a CTD to throw on some of the risky shots. If I lose that SPD it will be a long time before I can get another PD to that spot. PPDs aren't the same either. The beat SPD has some turn and fade to work with, where the Ps are almost too straight.

As I throw the CTD some more I think I will start to notice more differences between it and my beat PDs and it will have it's own merit in my bag. It's only been the last year or so that I've not carried a driver with an "L" or convex bevel in my bag (I've used Sidewinders, Roadrunners, and OLSs). I miss them because they've got advantages over the concave bevel in a lot of situations...Particularly their ability to turn over and recover across speeds. Anyway, I think the CTD is going to stick where those others never did. Of the STDs I've thrown now, one was a whole step more stable than my CTDs and the other was a whole step less stable. All I've tried have been 175.

So ive been loving my tds alot lately,ive been turning lots of people to discmania stuff,mainly pds n tds. For now im carrying a ctd,beat std,beat spd, cpd. I love the 4 ,they all fly different enough to cover everything.

Im going to order some production ctds,how bad is the slanted inner rim? I coulda swore i read that it wasnt as bad as the tb + or roc + but i cant find that.

Booter said:
Im going to order some production ctds,how bad is the slanted inner rim? I coulda swore i read that it wasnt as bad as the tb + or roc + but i cant find that.

the one I have isn't bad. can't tell a difference between the release on my production C-TD and my S-TD.

At least my yellow one has a noticeable slant, but unless it's on the levels of those DKG discs (or was it some other manufacturer?) it's all in your head anyway.

I have not noticed that slightest difference in grip or release with my C-TDs, if nobody had told me they were slanted I doubt I would have ever noticed.

JimW said:
I have not noticed that slightest difference in grip or release with my C-TDs, if nobody had told me they were slanted I doubt I would have ever noticed.

I don't really notice it either. What we should be saying is "slightly more slanted" because the original core is not 90 degrees either.

Personally, when I learn any new mold there is an adjustment period in grip. When I throw I can feel when I'm connecting correctly on my release, and if I'm not then I making micro adjustments to how the disc is orientated exactly in my hand. Within a short time I can get used to almost anything. To me the feel of the slant is nowhere near as dramatic as the feel of a big bead vs. no bead, or even the feel of a convex rim (TD) vs. concave rim (PD). Going between discs like those takes more getting used to for me than the rim angle of any disc I've thrown.

Booter said:
Thx brandon. Discjunkie said the same.

Zj,are all yalls tds nasty slanted or only some?

I'll let ya know later today when I get to work. I only touched a few of them