• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania

RoomTenONine said:
So the consensus here on the PD is that it is NOT a Z Pred replacement, but just a tad more stable than a 1.1 OLF?? This sounds to me as if it is right there with a 1.2 SOLF/QOLF depending on weight/plastic.

I REALLY want a Z Pred replacement with a smaller rim/wing. I love the disc for what it does, but I never feel comfortable throwing it.
you might look into a XXX, they are supposed to be a lot like a pred, and the PD is more overstable than a 1.2 OLF

Donkeypuncher said:
I was told the PD is similar to the starfire, with just a tad more glide on it...
You were told wrong, unless of course your Starfires are freak stable. I always found Starfires to be less stable than a TB. The PD to me is a longer/more stable TB.

ferretdance03 said:
Donkeypuncher said:
I was told the PD is similar to the starfire, with just a tad more glide on it...
You were told wrong, unless of course your Starfires are freak stable. I always found Starfires to be less stable than a TB. The PD to me is a longer/more stable TB.
All of my Starfires (Star and Champ) are a lot more stable than any TeeBird I've thrown. And I'd think that the Starfire comparison is quite accurate, you can even tell that by only looking at the numbers.

RoomTenONine said:
I REALLY want a Z Pred replacement with a smaller rim/wing. I love the disc for what it does, but I never feel comfortable throwing it.

That would make it a bit slower. A Blaze is like a Pred with a smaller wing.

Fullbag said:
...you can even tell that by only looking at the numbers.
Cause the numbers are always accurate. :D

I guess it's been a while since I threw Starfires, but I never liked them. Not long enough to replace a distance driver, not stable enough to replace a stable control driver. Meh. I like the Power Driver though. A lot.

Furthur said:
RoomTenONine said:

Yeah I just want something super wind stable, long and predictable like the Z Pred, but easier to grip. Not sure if that really exists without such a pronounced wing or making some other compromise like speed.

So you are saying a Blaze would be better than a XXX or just offering an additional suggestion?

RoomTenONine said:
Furthur said:
RoomTenONine said:

Yeah I just want something super wind stable, long and predictable like the Z Pred, but easier to grip. Not sure if that really exists without such a pronounced wing or making some other compromise like speed.

So you are saying a Blaze would be better than a XXX or just offering an additional suggestion?

I'm saying a Blaze would be very good in a headwind. Similar to a Whippet or XTreme. Not very fast, but very overstable, and very predictable in the wind. The very overstable fairway driver doesn't fit into the typical DGR minimalist approach, but I find it quite useful.

I did some reading on the "ask dave" thread to find out what the scoop is on the PD and DD, found some good info. A beat in PD sounds like it should be a nice disc.

For the PD:

Dave_D said:
The bottom looks like a Firebird or TeeBird. It flies in between these two for characteristic, but longer than both. I used the TeeBird for shots between 280 and 350 when I needed to maintain a line in a breezy situation. I think the PD has a slightly higher fade than a TeeBird, but less than a Firebird. The TeeBird has more carry and less speed than the PD. The PD is a much better side arm disc for me, so it was a no brainer to have the PD for the short drive, long approach hyzers. I use it as a TeeBird, Starfire, and Firebird.

Dave_D said:
The PD is not quite as long as the Starfire, but holds up better in winds. The PD also has more torque resistance. The PD holds the angle you throw until the fade. The fade is similar to a Starfire.

And for the DD:

Dave_D said:
The Distance Driver is more or less between a TeeRex and a Wraith. It has about the same high speed stability as a TeeRex, but less low speed fade, which makes it easier to hit long fairways.

The PD does feel and fly like a longer more stable Teebird. I've only thrown the PD in the field and on the course the past two days. I'm a Predator and a Teebird thrower and I would say it is also not unlike a broken in Z Predator. It is nice that it can be mentioned in the same group with two of the best discs ever made.

chainsmoker said:
The PD does feel and fly like a longer more stable Teebird. I've only thrown the PD in the field and on the course the past two days. I'm a Predator and a Teebird thrower and I would say it is also not unlike a broken in Z Predator. It is nice that it can be mentioned in the same group with two of the best discs ever made.
I throw both of those discs, the predator and the teebird. They are my two most used drivers. Do you think this disc has a spot in the bag along with these?

TeamTollandDG said:
chainsmoker said:
I throw both of those discs, the predator and the teebird. They are my two most used drivers. Do you think this disc has a spot in the bag along with these?
i throw one in between my pred and eagles, ive always loved having a slot for a longer fairway type disc though (SOLF,Avenger,Orc,PD) this slot is usually (depending on the course) my most used driver slot in the bag

I got my CDs out on a very calm weather Sun, and like them. Too early to tell if they are going to be the calm day option to the stronger 1.2 SOLF, or a windy day option to the 1.2 SOLS. But they (S and D line) seem to be very much right between the 1.2 S Orions in stability, with a touch more glide in trade for a touch less speed.

Jesse B 707 said:
TeamTollandDG said:
chainsmoker said:
i throw one in between my pred and eagles, ive always loved having a slot for a longer fairway type disc though (SOLF,Avenger,Orc,PD) this slot is usually (depending on the course) my most used driver slot in the bag

Can you...or anyone else post a pic of what the pd and dd wings look like?

Would you consider just throwing the pd and the cd along with a very oversatable driver?

The CD looks like a Valk Bottom and TeeWrecks top. It had a pretty blunt nose, which makes it great for rolling, while getting good glide in the air. It's very easy to throttle down on the disc for some 50% control shots too.

The CD is a Firebird bottom with a top that's unknown to me. It feels beefy in the hand. Basicly, it feels like a teebird as far as it's height, but has the firebird core, which makes the rim a little wider. It seems to have more dome than a Starfire as well.

As far as your question about throwing the CD and PD, here's my current driver setup. I would probably put my Pred back in and add a big D driver once I gain a full understanding of how the PD flies. It does hold up pretty well into a headwind. I can pretty much throw most of the shots I need with this driver setup.

Sabre
Blaze

CD
PD

Furthur said:
The CD looks like a Valk Bottom and TeeWrecks top. It had a pretty blunt nose, which makes it great for rolling, while getting good glide in the air. It's very easy to throttle down on the disc for some 50% control shots too.

The CD is a Firebird bottom with a top that's unknown to me. It feels beefy in the hand. Basicly, it feels like a teebird as far as it's height, but has the firebird core, which makes the rim a little wider. It seems to have more dome than a Starfire as well.

As far as your question about throwing the CD and PD, here's my current driver setup. I would probably put my Pred back in and add a big D driver once I gain a full understanding of how the PD flies. It does hold up pretty well into a headwind. I can pretty much throw most of the shots I need with this driver setup.

Sabre
Blaze

CD
PD

Thanks. They have a great view of the cd on the website and that's what I thought as well (the valk bottom). I want to try em all. CD, DD and PD.

TeamTollandDG said:
Furthur said:

Sabre
Blaze

CD
PD

Thanks. They have a great view of the cd on the website and that's what I thought as well (the valk bottom). I want to try em all. CD, DD and PD.

I have an unthrown DD at home, and it feels good in the hand. I just wish it had more dome.

Furthur said:
TeamTollandDG said:
Furthur said:

Sabre
Blaze

CD
PD

I have an unthrown DD at home, and it feels good in the hand. I just wish it had more dome.

Want to trade it? http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8736

TeamTollandDG said:
chainsmoker said:

I carry 2Preds and 2Teebirds. Depending on my mood I also carry a broken in Z Pred or a brand new Champion Teebird to bridge between the Teebird and Predators. That is the slot the PD fits in new. I think with some use it could move into the Teebird slot but the PD does not have the overstability to compete with new or slightly seasoned Predators. If the PD breaks in slow enough it might just stay in that middle spot.

PD = Longer TB.........However its not significant. I found I can get my TB out just as far just not on a low line. The only reason I really ever threw my PDs were if I needed more distance than my TBs on a lower line or if I needed a lil more of a flex shot.

It will not handle a FB/Pred headwind but it will hold up to a milid headwind pretty nicely.

Out of all the Discmania I have thrown which is the CD, PD and DD the PD was the most useful.

DD = super sweet plastic. Its very similar in HSS (just a tad less) to the Teerex but less LSS. It truly is right in between the Teerex and Wraith. I could always throw my DD longer han any Teerex but they were never as long as my Wraiths.

The only reason the DD never found a true spot in my bag was because it is on the flatter side. I like my distance drivers to be DOMEY.

CD = I cant really comment too much. It never really wowed me. I do think it would be an excellent roller due to the blunt nose. It didnt impress me enough to remove my TBs. It just comes down to preference.

Just my .02

I replaced my Valk with a CD. Since newer big D drivers have come out, I wanted to have a controllable distance driver with as much LSS with less HSS.