• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania

Went for a walk around some nature trails and a small golf course today, brought my 3 year old P-P1 (R-Pro Aviar) with me on a whim. This thing has seen countless treeshots, has been banged on rocks, pavement, gravel, thorns and even occasionally in the chains. On the way I drove with it in tunnels, hit posts on playgrounds, played spike hyzers over and around trees in sharp corners, lots of tunnel shots and gap hitting with both BH of FH and finally a round at the golf course where I could put some mustard on it, and on the way back I stopped by a football field (not handegg mind you) to throw some more. I now remember why I used this for almost two years and only stopped when I got into IONs. It still flies the same as the day I bought it (essentially no structure to break, so it lasts for a long long while) and with just a small hyzerflip you can seriously rip these things. I threw some 360 drives at the golf course, flat they turned into nice glidey turnovers, with a small hyzer they just flipped flat and went straight and with a bit more they held a great true hyzer line.

I know a lot of guys hate the feel of these discs, but when I get a good rip on these it almost gives me the feeling of shooting rubber bands. And the softness seems to absorb OAT pretty nicely, it never wobbles for long. Totally underrated disc.

steezo said:
Any word on P P2's ?
I asked them a while a go, response was along the lines of "not yet, we want to give the C-Line all the attention it can get".

But all of the stories I've heard of them have made me drool.

I need a P P2 really bad. The D's are nice but beat in just a tad too quick and I didn't like the S P2's very much. A C P2 would be the beez kneezcaps

Only have a couple of Discmania discs but I've seemed to like them alright. The P-PD2 is a good overstable driver, but is extremely domey so not so great in to a strong Oklahoma headwind. Just the slightest bit of nose up and it becomes a boomerang. I've been throwing a C-Line MD2 quite a bit and I think it's my favorite so far. The other is a P-Line DD (Hysteria) which honestly I haven't thrown much at all.

I recommend a C-PD2 for the Oklahoma winds. Its a meathook.

C-MD2 = <3, tho I still prefer my P-MD2s

And P-DD, think of it as a slightly faster Pro Wraith. Very nice disc for the looong ones. :)

Loop said:
I recommend a C-PD2 for the Oklahoma winds. Its a meathook.

C-MD2 = <3, tho I still prefer my P-MD2s

And P-DD, think of it as a slightly faster Pro Wraith. Very nice disc for the looong ones. :)
I wouldn't call it faster, but it is more overstable.

My discmania family...

photo-4.jpg

Does anyone throw a GM? If so, what can you tell me about it? What mids/fairway driver would you compare it to, and what would you use in the mid and fairway slots to cover your other shots?

GM is a Gremlin although to the purists the GM seems to turn a little more and feel a little different. GM is fast and fades in the end so it ends up as not being as long as the speed would indicate. It is a curving disc so a straight controllable disc would be needed for compliment as a mid. The speed difference suggests a Roc. Broken in to straighter than new one perhaps. Again a straight FW driver like a Leo would be good as a compliment. And because Leo flies well on annies and doesn't fight back hard like the GM will they are different enough to not overlap that much. I'd say that a powered down Leo fades too much to start overlapping with the GM. So a Roc Leo combo would be better if you also have a new KC Roc. Well the beefiest MD2 should work too in most cases.

JR said:
It is a curving disc...

When you say "curving," do you mean an s-curve from a flat throw? Or just...a relatively neutral disc that will hold torqued curves?

Funny, for me my beat in GMs (S-Line) have been very straight and hold pretty much any line I put them on. The sort of fly like my good MD2s, though the speed and glide properties are different so both have a reason being in the bag. The GM is definitely faster and has very little glide. My D-GM started out like a beat in S-GM, but it ends up as an understable mid, great one at that.

A new S-GM has a definite fade, and some freak individuals have been really overstable (think almost Drone level).

Fast, but with little glide...I'm interested, at least. At what distance do you reach for one?

Same as all my other mids, between my putters and drivers (so something like 270-330', could be lower of higher depending on a lot of conditions). Basically I use my beat S-GMs for the same sort of shots I'd use my MD2s, but don't want the disc to glide as much. I usually try to throw the MD2 pretty low and let it fly, the GM likes more height and will come down faster. Sometimes that's a plus.

I've found that my GM are definately more stable than my Wasps or Warriors are, for me the GM is slower version of a star teebird. Nice and workable with a very predictable fade. I find that it compliments my Buzzz very well, but it is definately more of a tweener disc not a full blown mid. Very good disc.

I reach for my GM on shots that are under 300' and need a good bit of fade. I also will reach for it on approach shots (<200') that need to get around one obstacle or flex around two obstacles (released high anhyzer for 1st tree, flexing back hyzer for 2nd tree). At less than full power, it holds a really straight line before fading dependably.

And it's a great compliment to the MD2. I have 2 MD2's and a GM i my bag for the mid slots. After working all of them in, this has served me well.