• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still wish they would provide the weight of the core and the total weight. This would allow more precision when picking out backups and starting rotations.

I still wish they would provide the weight of the core and the total weight. This would allow more precision when picking out backups and starting rotations.

My bet is they use a proprietary ratio between the two parts and don't want to give that information away.

I've been wondering about this. The 'metallic' blend, the thought that newer N has a more pliable feel. My thought (hope, actually) is that they're trying to differentiate N and P a little more, since early on, the only real difference between N and P was the opaque/translucent thing, for the most part, some slight feel difference maybe.

Personally, I'd love to see N become a bit less durable, i.e. more suited to seasoning/cycling not to mention grippier. Not that it needs to be DX-like, but a little less P-like.

I like the grippier N as well, an really hope it is a standard going forward. It does give it a unique feel compared to the P. I've always been under the impression the Neutron was an opaque proton as well and that the additive to make it opaque is what gave it a little more grip overall than Proton. Wet or damp Proton was always super slippery whereas Neutron seemed to still have a little grip to it, which is why I suspect many of us just stocked up on the N discs since it was more of a 4 seasons disc for the molds they offer in both.

That being said, I'd still like to see the Servo, at the very least, in Proton at some point.

My bet is they use a proprietary ratio between the two parts and don't want to give that information away.

I believe they said that very thing in the Q&A Answers thread.

Personally, I'd love to see N become a bit less durable, i.e. more suited to seasoning/cycling not to mention grippier. Not that it needs to be DX-like, but a little less P-like.

Any way to add grip is always good. Besides that though, I think the way MVP has laid out molds in triads of tiered stability, yet still sharing speed and glide characteristics with one another has made much cycling obsolete.

To those of you who have switched to a lot of MVP from other brands...Are you cycling less now than you used to? The only major cycling happening in my bag now is with my understables...No new MVP discs have significant turn at the distances/angles I throw them for.

To those of you who have switched to a lot of MVP from other brands...Are you cycling less now than you used to? The only major cycling happening in my bag now is with my understables...No new MVP discs have significant turn at the distances/angles I throw them for.

yeah the only "cycling" I ever did was with some select DX discs much before MVP days. I still use my first volt I ever bought when they came out as my go to driver, rocking the same soft N ion since DD had the rainbow stamps, and I don't see a need for replacing them out anytime soon being the oldest discs in my bag.

I find many of the molds to be very workable that it also takes out needing to have more than 1 which fly differently. I like being able to buy a disc and throw it. Also with the fact that some of the models share cores its really less of a issue to have to cycle based on feel alone. The new slower speed classes have really made this easier also.

Last edited:
I cycled the Axis before the Tangent came out. I had a pair of eclipses I beat in to lose their lss and develop a touch of high speed turn.

I cycle Volts. Have a FR that's about on par with an Amp, plenty seasoned to dead straight, and some fresh with fade.

Lost my most seasoned Anode and Ion, two eclipses that I had beat up pretty good. The Ion was dead neutral and thrown flat the Anode would do a gentle track right the whole flight. Miss them both.

I don't cycle MVP very much because they're so durable and like you said Discspeed very smart about the molds they release. I'd imagine down the road I'll be cycling Resistors, Servos, Envy's and a few other molds, but we'll see.

I cycle Vectors, one fresh Vector (0 HSS 3 LSS) for over-stable slot and i always swap between a couple older beat eclipse vectors (0 HSS 2 LSS and -1 HSS 1.5 LSS) that are straight and one has developed a slight turn over. I can rip on a beat vector and it will go laser straight all the way to the end with a very mild forward fade finnish without worrying about turn/burn or much movement off of the line i put it on. The Vectors are the staple of my bag, i use them on most drives up to 300', a lot of longer approaches and when i need something i can trust on a tight line through the woods.

I cycle Volts also, Right now i have a beefy first run proton (0 HSS 3 LSS closer to a Shock than a first run), a broken in neutron (0 HSS 2 LSS), and a first run (-1.5 HSS, 2 LSS) that's beat up, turns over but always comes back still.

The tangent is a disc i had to beat in enough before it had the turn over for a place in my bag, otherwise it overlapped with my real beat vector for a while because of how straight to slightly under-stable it was at first.

MVP is hard to cycle though because they beat in very slowly, the main reason i have beat eclipse vectors and volt is because i bought them the day they were released and have thrown them almost every day since.

I've heard that same line as well. I still think it would benefit the end user but it's not my call. I bet they would sell less discs if you could pick out an exact match the first time, every time.

I've found it takes 3-6 months with a lot of play to really beat my MVP stuff into where I want it to be. The ones I'm starting to cycle are my Vector and my Volt. They get the most use.

I don't really use the more overstable, newer versions. I just want to have backups if I ever lose one and I don't want to start with a brand new disc.

I've found it takes 3-6 months with a lot of play to really beat my MVP stuff into where I want it to be. The ones I'm starting to cycle are my Vector and my Volt. They get the most use.

I don't really use the more overstable, newer versions. I just want to have backups if I ever lose one and I don't want to start with a brand new disc.
Got any seasoned Servos yet?

Regarding cycling MVP I have an ion i believe from the first production run. Its dead straight on a hyzerflip and will naturally track right if thrown slight hyzer or flat. I carry a new(er) one as well. The newer one is at least two years old and still fades predictably. It will be difficult if I lose the go to ion, it will leave a missing spot in my bag.

Got any seasoned Servos yet?

For my 320-350 arm it's still pretty overstable just like my Volt was when I first got it. I wasn't crazy about the Volt when I first got it because of that and didn't see what all the hype was about.

But magically after a few months it lost that stiffness and is now butter.

Servo is still in the stiffish stage. Now as bad as when I first got it but it still needs a few trees which I can easily do for it.

This picture sucks for several reasons...

13001744354_687f134c39.jpg

1. 265' into some wind, and this beautiful Skullboy rainbow-stamped Ice Blue Eclipse Volt fades left, slams into the chains.... and then falls.... teeters on the edge of the basket rim.... and finally drops over the side in epically slow-motion.
  2. Would have been my second Ace ever... less than a week after getting the first.
  3. At a different course later in the day (today), I slip on an icy teepad, and this disc hits a tree, ricochets, and is gone to a snowy tomb somewhere in the woods.
  4. I fear that disc is too damn gorgeous for anyone in their right mind to call the name and number on the inside rim. But I hold out hope that it presents itself to an honest disc golfer in the very near future.

Sooooo...... if anyone knows where there's a stock of more of these Volts to be had, I'm interested. Loved that disc. Thank goodness for backups!

Oh no! Sorry about you losing that sweet disc, man. I hope that one of the good guys finds it and calls you.

Oh no! Sorry about you losing that sweet disc, man. I hope that one of the good guys finds it and calls you.

Thanks... yeah it really bummed me out. I hit metal on my drive on a shorter hole two holes after losing it and was just like... Meh...

Oh well...

Btw, congrats on your field work improvements I saw in the other thread! That's awesome and has to be invigorating, especially right before the DD releases start. Nice job!

What did you hit on?

What did I do differently? I added a sort of crude X-step. It's nowhere near good form. But I'm happy with the results after several throws.

I was also working on some FH with my E Volt. That thing flies beautiful, low FH drives. The Resistor also made its way back into my bag. I never realized how much skip that thing has!

It's like I'm falling in love with my MVP discs all over again. :D

What did I do differently? I added a sort of crude X-step. It's nowhere near good form. But I'm happy with the results after several throws.

I was also working on some FH with my E Volt. That thing flies beautiful, low FH drives. The Resistor also made its way back into my bag. I never realized how much skip that thing has!

It's like I'm falling in love with my MVP discs all over again. :D

I use my resistor for hyzer lines and I have not noticed any big skips, for the most part it sits right where it lands. Are you throwing it on low flat lines? It all depends on how you use the disc, you can control how much it skips.

Status
Not open for further replies.