• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
175g Neutron Switch:

S51I8TMl.jpg

enJnYyMl.jpg

Wow! I like everything about this.

Anyone else using Pa1/Pa4 + Tangent/Tensor combo as a putter and midrange setup? With my short experience with this it feels pretty nice and it's often pretty easy to know what disc to pick up for each shot.

no tensor love here and ION for Pa1 but between the 3 discs not much that cant be done. I find the tensor to over-lap a little so dropped it until they come out with a truly OS putter or mid with a vector stability/speed without the roc like bead.

Anyone else using Pa1/Pa4 + Tangent/Tensor combo as a putter and midrange setup? With my short experience with this it feels pretty nice and it's often pretty easy to know what disc to pick up for each shot.

Pretty close, i used this setup for a while..

Ion/PA4
Tensor/Vector/Tangent

I found myself finding it hard to decide between Tensor/Vector at times so i just dropped the Tensor and keep a fresh domey Vector in the bag for over-stable slot, beat vector for stable straight, beat tangent for US turnovers/anny lines.

I find moving up to a hgher speed like a Resistor for beefy OS midrange shots to work fine.

The PA4 is a great disc, but one of my old Ions got beat in enough to handle the flippy turnover lines and so i have only Ions now for putt/approach.

so now its just like 4x Ions, 2x Vectors, Tangent, and i can hit any line i need :)

It's a bit frustrating that I'm throwing the Axis only about the same distance as Anode (220-230 ft). At what distances there should be a noticeable difference? Now it's about 15 ft or so..

Last edited:
Difference in what? Axis/Vector are probably the furthest flying of the mids/putters but even past 325' there isn't a ton of max D difference. Ions/Anodes can bomb.. now much lower lines are possible at 250'+ with the axis/vector.

As far as flight goes the two discs are very similar. You wont get much difference in the line shaping within any range of distances. At 200-300' max d neither disc will be much futher than the other and even for people like myself and MikeC I don't think we find a ton of distance separation from the mold classes.

Last edited:
Haven't thrown Axis for a while, but from what i remember it bombs pretty far for a midrange, its also more touchy, put a little more air under it?

watch some videos, these always help me when i get rusty:

Good luck

Difference in distance.

Don't worry much about putters/mids/(slower fairways) being used at different distances. they all can and will be happy to fly 300'+ :D

Now, getting them to do it will take some of what In4d touched on.

For example, I use a Ion and Tangent for the same 300+' distances and even some which I would use a volt/resistor on given the situation it could be turned around where ill throw a resistor vs ION. I don't look at them as being longer/shorter but have unique lines/landing capability at different distances.

Last edited:
Never got used to Anode, but my Ion flew as far as my Axis, whereas Tangent and Tensor were maybe tad shorter. But I had to give lots of air for Ion to achieve that distance whereas I could laser beam Axis for those sub 300 distances. And my drivers doesn't fly that much farther but again, lines are bit different.

Same with my Tangent/Tensor + Pa4/Pa1 combo, Pa1 and Tensor fly similar distances but I can throw Tensor on much lower lines, and Tangent is easier to throw dead straight with flat release whereas Pa4 which usually finishes to right.

I don't look at them as being longer/shorter but have unique lines/landing capability at different distances.

This is how I've come to look at discs as well over the last 6-8 months. Has made a big difference. I'd add onto it by saying you need to find out what they do in YOUR hands instead of everyone else's.

In reference to some of the form stuff, for me, I figured out I was dropping my elbow prior to release creating OAT from not maintaining the same plain in the throw and follow through. Thumb placement and pressure also helped get a cleaner release from the hit as well.

For better or worse, I think I have adapted my throwing style - for drives at least - to MVP discs.

I just took a few test throws with the new Westside Hatchet and Dynamic Discs Witness - plus the Switch to compare with the Witness - and I was throwing the Switch so much better. It was easier to get cleaner releases with, and the glide on it seemed better than the famed Swedish glide.

I am sure some of this was due to having some experience with the Switch over the others, but the glide difference really threw me off. Maybe I am generating the spin required for MVP molds and it doesn't translate the same to other plastic? I'm not sure.

So, I may be ruined for other companies. On the other hand, it makes me even more pumped for the distance drivers.

^Ordered a Hatchet to test out, and expect I'll have a similar experience. There's just something about the MVP discs that makes them really gratifying to throw. Starts with the feel in the hand and just continues through the flight till they land.

I've tested several other discs this winter and they all pretty much end up in a bin in the basement. The only ones I've kept in the bag have been a Biofizion Escape and a Lucid Renegade. I'm expecting the DD's to give em the boot tho.

I've got a midrange battle going on in my bag.

My main weapon of choice is my 174 Vector. I use it more than any other disc in my bag. Laser line with a nice fade on the end.

Under that I'm liking a 180 Atlas. It's a lot slower and heavier so it sits down sooner and does fade quite as much as the Vector.

The next slot is the place where I can't decide. I was trying out a Comet and it's OK. I've got some great shots with it but I don't like how it feels and it's so big. I'm going back and forth between a heavy proton Tangent and a heavy Axis. I'm thinking of getting and trying an Alias too.

I throw a 169 tangent a lot in the woods but I need something in between the overstable Vector/Atlas and the understable light Tangent and a Fuse I love for really hard turnovers.

I think an alias is going to fall in between the vector and tangent. It's pretty straight, but can take more power than the tangent.

I think an alias is going to fall in between the vector and tangent. It's pretty straight, but can take more power than the tangent.

Agreed - It's going to be a very familiar feel to the Tangent as well. They complement each other nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.