• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be the best answer. The typical answer is that you need a very OS disc. But, I may just end up taking my whole bag and throwing it ALL overhand. I really need to work on that shot to get out of trouble at this new course I've been playing. Some of the lies are so poor that the only way out is up and over. If this shot becomes more serviceable, I'll try using it off tee, and for approaches too.

FWIW I cant throw OH's for any real distance nor do I even care to. I will use them downhill in tight wooded courses without any real line to the basket but mostly this shot is an approach so putters are great as they don't do much in the air or on the ground. If you watch OH dominate players you can see they use the different finishes of stability/speeds. Its crazy to see how much skip (Brian shweberger--SP?!) can get off those shots.

What do you guys use for thumbers/tomahawks? I need to learn that throw ASAP. I figured that the Resistor and Shock are the only two logical choices, right?
The Resistor is pretty good for me. The Shock and Volt didn't click with me, and I'm still up in the air about the Servo. To be honest, I prefer a Champ Teebird to just about everything for a reliable thumber, but my Resistor is the closet thing MVP offers. The main difference is that the Resistor moves further left during the barrel roll, and finishes further right and about 10 feet longer than my Teebird. The Teebird is great for ~200' controlled shots and I can get more distance if I am willing to sacrifice control.

But they're not all resistor flat and that's what I was asking. :p
I have experience with a few MVP and will say I've never seen a domey one. :thmbup:

Yes they are-- the shoulders are different height but no such thing as domey MVP drivers. You can literally pop the top on bosses etc when its domey vs flat. Never heard of a pop-top or domey MVP driver. Shoulder height is not the same as dome.

I seem to remember my volt(and the shock I had for a minute) having a slight rise. Where my resistors are board flat and slightly concave in the middle. :\

Yes they are-- the shoulders are different height but no such thing as domey MVP drivers. You can literally pop the top on bosses etc when its domey vs flat. Never heard of a pop-top or domey MVP driver. Shoulder height is not the same as dome.

I know I know I know. :p

:D

yes b/c the OM shoulder on resistor is even with the flight plate thus its FAF. the actual flight plates do not "dome" up though. The resistors PLH is just stupid high. really not anymore "flat" than a puddle top ION just like an ION isn't more domey than resistor hell they have negative dome lol.

Continued from the switch thread

lucky for you I am fiendish on shallow Magics and black putters. I prefer the medium whites, but Proto Magic is my jam.

I want an Envy core with a Magic/PA4 type wing in Soft Neutron, in black w/white, red, black, and neon green rim configs.
... until I can get it in base plastic. THEN put me down for 20 max-weight blackouts.

These interests of yours are in capable, relentless hands.

Why the envy core instead of an anode? I feel the anode is almost there from the ones I have handled. Is the envy shallower?

And I assume you are talking 20 max weight black-out anodes? If so than put me down for some as well.

Continued from the switch thread

Why the envy core instead of an anode? I feel the anode is almost there from the ones I have handled. Is the envy shallower?

And I assume you are talking 20 max weight black-out anodes? If so than put me down for some as well.
The Envy core vs Anode/Ion -- because I prefer a shallow feel. The Envy is shallower than Anode. Proto Magics are also more shallow/shorter overall than the production Magic. I don't like production Magics at all... it feels tall and clunky, whereas the Protos are compact.

Hey Geo, here's a pic of a black-dyed Proton Soft Ion with the stamp left on. They are very glassy looking when using a fresh, new one. Mine were originally the light pink shade they offer (my least fav) and the cool thing is, when you hold them up to a really bright light source (like the sun) it comes through as a super dark cherry red. I call it "demon filter"...just sounds cool, I guess... lol

Edit: Going to order a white rimmed proton envy tonight to see if the rim will dye on one of those. If not, should still look kinda cool anyways. And, if it doesn't, it'll be a nice test disc at the very least.

12005676803_f340ff43c7.jpg

^ Did you track down a decent write up on that?

I posted a thread up in the disc dying section asking if anyone ever dyed a Proton Ion all black and no one responded. So, I got some dye and grabbed a disc to see what would happen. Turned out awesome, I think. I've done about 5 this way now, and they all look great. Never any harm to the stamps, which must be an MVP thing, cause I dyed a white star roadrunner red via the same process (So I could throw it in the snow), and the stamp pretty much melted off the thing. Oh well, it still flies... lol.

Here's all I did:
1 - Got some black iDye Poly (make sure it's iDye POLY) at Joann Fabrics
2 - Put the black dye portion in a pot on the stove and let it simmer and dissolve the dye in about 3-4 pints of water. (Throw out the Intensifier that comes with it - it's not needed.)
3 - Washed and rinsed the disc with dish soap and warm water.
4 - Just before the dye starts to boil, I took the pot off the heat, and dropped the disc in top down and pushed it down so it was totally submerged.
5 - Let it sit for 20-30 minutes while the dye cools so it gets good and deep black.
6 - Take it out, wash it off, and presto - a Stealth Ion! I put the dye into a big Bell preservative jar to store, and have been able to just put it back in the pot and reheat and reuse anytime I've wanted to. So, pretty convenient that way.

I know this isn't a disc dye thread, so sorry people!

I'll get back on topic...

Buy MVP discs... "they bomb"

Has anyone ever noticed a difference in MVP discs in terms of stability based on the color? Maybe it's just been my luck but every blue one I have seems to be more overstable. Doesn't matter the shade, dark, medium, light.

Ok i made the design already:

8NqYief.png

All planned and good to go, no one has to get hurt :clap:

Last edited:
Thank you for your submission. Your mold has been ZDGA Approved as the Phlex by in4d disc sports

Your shipment of fanboys will arrive via FedEx in 5-10 business days. Please register and say peep on DGCR to receive your allotted haters. We enjoyed measuring your disc.

Sincerely the Zone Disc Genetic Appropriation Committee

second request for hyper stable glideless putter. in4d's design looks nice but top could be flatter to the edge. Super gummy soft center.

Thank you for your submission. Your mold has been ZDGA Approved as the Phlex by in4d disc sports

Your shipment of fanboys will arrive via FedEx in 5-10 business days. Please register and say peep on DGCR to receive your allotted haters. We enjoyed measuring your disc.

Sincerely the Zone Disc Genetic Appropriation Committee

Taken directly out of a love letter from in4d to Mike C. :D

Also, when I try and type "in4d" my auto correct wants to spit out "inadequate" :eek:
It takes a true baller to have an entire operating system hate you. :rolleyes: :p

Status
Not open for further replies.