• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not let this thread turn into a pissing contest. Why not just be OK with people throwing whatever gets them to the hole? Throwing a mid or a driver doesn't necessarily make you better. Your score does.

Let's not let this thread turn into a pissing contest. Why not just be OK with people throwing whatever gets them to the hole? Throwing a mid or a driver doesn't necessarily make you better. Your score does.

Haha, thats not what it is at all, i was just comparing the style of courses in different ares of the US and saying how easy that is compared to what i have to deal with.. im sure others holes on the same course are very difficult.

And i havn't thrown my switch yet so i was wondering how much it turns over at that distance..

Sorry - as usual, i have to apologize because someones feelings get hurt.

I really like the switch. I threw it saturday in a tournament and it had a really nice s-turn. i need to work with it so i can rely on it for sweeping anny shots.

in4d > colorado
:hfive:
These are the 275' holes i have to deal with :eek:
oh, and the basket is elevated on a mound.
I can usually hit the gap 1 out of 3 with my beat vector..

yea yea, i played that hole too, parked it with my nano 9/10:p

on a serious note, im pretty pleased with the switch. not near as flippy as i anticipated at 173g. we'll see how it breaks in after a few more rounds though.

I really like the switch. I threw it saturday in a tournament and it had a really nice s-turn. i need to work with it so i can rely on it for sweeping anny shots.

That's what I'm having trouble with on it right now, but it's mostly because I haven't needed that shot lately. However, the shallow anny where is pans out at the end still? Money.

on a serious note, im pretty pleased with the switch. not near as flippy as i anticipated at 173g. we'll see how it breaks in after a few more rounds though.

This is how I feel too. My brand new 175 actually flies how I had hoped the Servo would fly. Hopefully they will break into that sweet "shorter Amp" spot though.

My brand new 175 actually flies how I had hoped the Servo would fly. Hopefully they will break into that sweet "shorter Amp" spot though.

This is exactly my experience as well - I was really disappointed with my 175g Switch after my first few test throws because it flew nothing like I expected it to. It does, however, fly exactly like I expected a Servo to fly, and now that I'm throwing it with that mindset I've actually come to like it quite a bit...

fwiw I'm a ~300ft thrower and I can rip on my Switch at full 100% power on a flat release and it won't turn over - It always finishes with a solid fade.

This is exactly my experience as well - I was really disappointed with my 175g Switch after my first few test throws because it flew nothing like I expected it to. It does, however, fly exactly like I expected a Servo to fly, and now that I'm throwing it with that mindset I've actually come to like it quite a bit...

fwiw I'm a ~300ft thrower and I can rip on my Switch at full 100% power on a flat release and it won't turn over - It always finishes with a solid fade.

I think there's flight paths in the flight charts you might be able to tap into with the range of weights that are offered in this line of Fairway driver. Whereas that 175g Switch gets you the "Servo-Like" flight, you can probably drop down to a 157-160g and find that you will get a flight pattern more like the right side (for RHBH, left side of chart for LHBH) of the Switch diagram on the chart.

If you like the feel of the Switch and get that Servo flight, it probably doesn't make sense to throw a Servo. But, a lighter Switch may open up some different lines if you wanted to carry two in the bag.

Something to consider if you feel like experimenting with another weight.

class_switch.png

I think there's flight paths in the flight charts you might be able to tap into with the range of weights that are offered in this line of Fairway driver. Whereas that 175g Switch gets you the "Servo-Like" flight, you can probably drop down to a 157-160g and find that you will get a flight pattern more like the right side (for RHBH, left side of chart for LHBH) of the Switch diagram on the chart.

If you like the feel of the Switch and get that Servo flight, it probably doesn't make sense to throw a Servo. But, a lighter Switch may open up some different lines if you wanted to carry two in the bag.

Something to consider if you feel like experimenting with another weight.

class_switch.png

This. I get more turn out of my 162 Switch than my 168 in the same power range. Both turn, though.

I would argue keeping the Servo for wind purposes, though, as it is designed to withstand wind a little better than the Switch (unless you're bagging something more overstable).

This. I get more turn out of my 162 Switch than my 168 in the same power range. Both turn, though.

I would argue keeping the Servo for wind purposes, though, as it is designed to withstand wind a little better than the Switch (unless you're bagging something more overstable).

I agree with this. I have a 167 gr switch that is a hyzer flip machine. The servo is more of a lazer line with a sharp dive off the end. I'm using the servo for long mid shots that have winds involved. That extremely flat profile just knifes through the wind.

I have 158g and 172g Servos and 167g and 175g Switches. I don't see huge differences in the Servos, but I do not throw them that often to be sure (I tend to use my beat 169g Amp for my neutral driver duties, and Pa1 and Tensor gets most of big hyzer work or when I don't want to accidentally end up on right). For my weak low ceiling forehand shots the lighter one is bit more controllable, whereas the heavier one fades bit harder. For backhand shots both are quite overstable, I usually like to throw the heavier one as I want to play the fade. With slight anny release I did get some turn before fading back, but wouldn't count on that on course. With hyzer release the don't flip at all but fade very predictable. For big headwinds I throw my 172g Resistor which then acts quite similar as Servo when calm. In summary, Servos are quite close to my Tensor in sense of backhand flight paths, with added benefit of wind resistance and especially forehand shots (90% of my forehand shots are with lighter Servo, rest are random short flicks with putter or skip shots with Resistor).

As for Switch, first few trainings sessions with lighter Switch gave me impression that it flips over very easily from quite steep hyzer angle, whereas the heavier one is quite close to my beat Amp but just tad shorter. But two of my last rounds in the courses and my latest training session seem to imply that with clean release lighter Switch is just flips flat and fades back when given good hyzer, goes very straight if given just slight hyzer, and makes nice S-curve with flat release. For anhyzer angles this thing bombs, I just got one new birdie hole today with this. Slight high anhyzer release and it just floats to right very nicely. The color of copper Switch is bit bad for nearbly wooded courses, so not much experience with that on actual holes. But I could see it being something like the Crave is supposed to be, straighter, beat up Servo. Definitely going to test that one also.

And as a reference, I throw slightly under 300 feet from standstill with Amp which is my fastest driver, if not counting D5 proto which is not understable at all. Going to trade it away as soon as somebody wants it...

Last edited:
Went to Park City with my Switch and Servo today. Both of these discs fit my game so well, and they seem to be getting longer for me. It's definitely got me itchy for the Inertia to be released.

I threw my Switch, Servo and Alias today alongside my Amp, Volt, Axis and Tangent. I'm totally confused as to what to put in my bag at this point.

I like the new fairway drivers, but they just seem shorter than the Amp + Volt and not particularly any more controllable for me.

The Alias flies very similar to the Axis, the only difference being it's more colorful.

Those who bag mostly MVP, how are these new discs fitting in your bag? What's staying and what's going. I need to trim down the overlap.

I threw my Switch, Servo and Alias today alongside my Amp, Volt, Axis and Tangent. I'm totally confused as to what to put in my bag at this point.

I like the new fairway drivers, but they just seem shorter than the Amp + Volt and not particularly any more controllable for me.

The Alias flies very similar to the Axis, the only difference being it's more colorful.

Those who bag mostly MVP, how are these new discs fitting in your bag? What's staying and what's going. I need to trim down the overlap.

I initially bagged the Amp and Volt, but the Servo kicked out the Volt because it fits my power level better (the Volt was always tougher to get up to speed for me).

Once the Switch came out, I kept it over the Amp because I wasn't seeing a huge distance gap, and I found the Switch easier to control. The Amp can also be a bit tough to find consistent PLHs on, so putting in the Switch cut that part out of the equation.

Since I was bagging the speed 7 discs, I decided to put the Alias in over the Axis because I found the Axis to be faster and closer to fairway speed overlap than I wanted it to be. I also had more success powering down the Alias.

Now, I have a nice gap in speeds and coverage between the Alias and the Switch/Servo, then plan on adding one of the new speed 10 drivers (one of the two understable ones) for the max D slot. I'm hoping this will give me more of a distance difference over the Switch/Servo than the Amp/Volt would.

Hope this helps a little!

My bag is:

E Volt
Amp
Resistor
Switch
Tangent
Tensor
Axis
Ion.

If I added anything else there would be too much overlap. I plan on beating in the Switch so I can have a longer turnover disc.

Edit...

I don't know how much extra D the distance drivers will give me. I can imagine bagging the Inertia and Impulse.

I find I can easily get my Shock/Volt/Amp(350 open field/300 golf lines) combo about 50 feet further out than my Resistor/Servo/Switch (300 open field/250 golf lines).

Shock - Never turns over. Never. Biggest fade.
Resistor - Utility disc. Short sidearm disc. So easy to range.

Volt - Very beat in. Goes far. Little bit of high speed turn. Little bit of fade. So much control. Distance/control sidearm.
Servo - Very, very straight HSS. Very dependable fade. Can get nice "s" curves with angles. Great sidearm.

Amp - Laser beam. Favorite disc. Like a tighter version of my Volt was just as much control.
Switch - Shorter amp.

I also bag a 159 Leopard but I'll probably try a 159 Switch to replace it. I just love the feel of MVP and how it comes off my hand. My present Switch is 174 and is only slightly understable.

Well so far i have a switch, servo, and volt to try out as soon as some of the snow melts. Then again it is supposed to be almost 50 here Thursday. Snow or not I may go get some field work in. Thanks to Aim for the Chains for a great deal on the switch. Very excited to try these new fairways and the Volt. Also very excited to try the Inertia when it is released.

Well so far i have a switch, servo, and volt to try out as soon as some of the snow melts. Then again it is supposed to be almost 50 here Thursday. Snow or not I may go get some field work in. Thanks to Aim for the Chains for a great deal on the switch. Very excited to try these new fairways and the Volt. Also very excited to try the Inertia when it is released.

:hfive: Snow still deep there? This week has done some good work melting hopefully its gone sooner than later but still probably a good 10' in areas. Cant wait to throw these new molds!

I'm working on my straight mid-range disc slot. Here's the contestants.

176 N Axis
169 Tangent
178 Tangent
178 Alias
174 Comet

Basically I love the flight of the Comet but hate the way it feels. I don't have the heavy Alias or heavy Tangent. Thinking of buying them but thought I'd get some suggestions.

Of those I think an alias would come closest. What plastic is the comet you have thrown? I see in your sig you have a fuse, why is that not working for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.