• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a love hate relationship with my amp. I throw my volts ~400-425' for a power comparison. With the amp I find that if I don't absolutely baby it it will turn incredibly fast to the point it is near impossible to judge. Granted I got it in a trade so I have no real idea how beat it is but has anyone else had similar issues?

I have a love hate relationship with my amp. I throw my volts ~400-425' for a power comparison. With the amp I find that if I don't absolutely baby it it will turn incredibly fast to the point it is near impossible to judge. Granted I got it in a trade so I have no real idea how beat it is but has anyone else had similar issues?

I have one Amp in the bag, its an old beat Amp that flips very quickly like your saying, its my favorite Amp for turnover shots because i can launch it at a high angle and get HUGE anny shots that go far right on a RHBH throw and holds a very predictable anny line for me.. something i find extremely valuable because im not a good Forehand thrower, i RHBH 99% of the time. If i lost this amp i would be missing a big part of my arsenal on holes that bend far right.

If you end up not wanting that Amp, i would be interested in a trade or buying it, i would love to have a backup at the same stage.

Of those I think an alias would come closest. What plastic is the comet you have thrown? I see in your sig you have a fuse, why is that not working for you?

The Fuse is a 170 and much faster than the Comet. If I throw the Comet hard and flat it's a laser. If I throw the Fuse hard and flat It's a laser for 200 feet then turns hard right. For me, the Fuse is for turning hard corners.

Up one slot is my Tangent which is close but the Comet will goes straight much easier and will hold the line with almost no fade. The tangent is a little more sensitive and likes to go in tight arcs sometimes or fade out some at the end. But it's very light which is why I have a heavy one on my list.

I want to try the Alias because I hear it's like a touch more stable Axis that's easier to throw. My Axis is great but can be sensitive also and has a tendency to track right.

I'm working on my straight mid-range disc slot. Here's the contestants.

176 N Axis
169 Tangent
178 Tangent
178 Alias
174 Comet

Basically I love the flight of the Comet but hate the way it feels. I don't have the heavy Alias or heavy Tangent. Thinking of buying them but thought I'd get some suggestions.

I vote lighter Tangent for long straight flip and slice shots and 178 Alias for shorter straight shots and hyzer releases to get good hooks. Axis is a hard disc to let go of though. I've recently been loving this disc after we came to an understanding (aka - I stopped OATing it). Comet was one I've tested out, and ultimately decided the Tangent was a little better for the slot. I could get more D from the Comet at the cost of some accuracy, but in those situations, I'd just disc up to a longer more controllable disc.

Edit: Get a bigger bag - it solves everything ;-)

My Axis is great but can be sensitive also and has a tendency to track right.

Maybe try a heavy E Axis. Mine was almost kinda beefy new, but with some wear (and tree hits) it's gotten to be pretty $. When I rip it like full reachback driver rip, I might get some minimal HS turn on it, and I can get some soft fade out of it if I throw it a bit nose up. But low and flat, it's pretty dead nutz.

Any truly staight flier/laser will be sensitive to release.

I'm working on my straight mid-range disc slot. Here's the contestants.

176 N Axis
169 Tangent
178 Tangent
178 Alias
174 Comet

Basically I love the flight of the Comet but hate the way it feels. I don't have the heavy Alias or heavy Tangent. Thinking of buying them but thought I'd get some suggestions.

The Alias and tangent work well together in the same bag. I think both are going to be a go to disc depending on hole shape, length or wind. I usually use the alias on longer straight tunnel shots and the tangent when I want to bend it a bit. Love both the discs.

only mid in my bag right now. 180g

crossing my fingers for a axiom vector like stability/speed mid but not such a prominent bead.

Alias might sneak in there too.

I've been on this mission to rebag/make myself fall in love with the Tangent, and I don't know if I'm going to get there. I'm just synched with the E Axis for some reason, I get fewer squirrelly releases, and can really make it do almost any shot aside from easy right-angle type shallow fades.

LOL, makes me feel like there's something wrong with me, like not really liking pizza or something.

crossing my fingers for a axiom vector like stability/speed mid but not such a prominent bead.

That would be nice! I was using a Sentinel for awhile cause the bead on the Vector was messin' with me. Got it worked out though, and the Vector is back in the bag. For some reason the bead just isn't as noticeable to me on the Proton Vector.

I haven't ordered an Alias yet because I want to find a purple neutron with a green rim if I can. I just haven't found a color combo that grabs me.

In mean time I've been throwing the 160 N Tangent, 176 N Axis, 174 glo Comet and the good ol' soft 174 Ion eclipse.

I'm finding the Tangent keeps getting better and better. It's getting easier to throw flat and it stays straight. I just can't put a lot of power on it which isn't a bad thing. It still goes 200-250 easy. I'm just saying it takes a little more touch to use well than I'd been doing. The tangent also does surprising well in a headwind (not so much in a crosswind)

The Comet is the same way except it's got a ton more glide and it's hard not to make it go straight. But I have to release it straight. It needs a certain smoothness. Does like wind or oat. Easier than the tangent to hyzer flip. My tangent doesn't really want to flip up, it wants to ride that line/angle of release.

The Ion is very good in all types of wind. It's like a little tank but the large rim makes it a bit harder to get consistent releases with so it's harder to throw compared to the Tangent. Then again the Ion can take some Oat without getting crazy. Also, when I get the Ion to high or too much air I get a huge, huge fade. This is something I never really realized before and can be very helpful when I want long left fades.

I still might try the heavy Tangent later on but I'm going to go with a heavy Alias first. (mostly because I've don't have one but have tried the tangent)

Today I got my first throws with a (171g) Servo. I'm going to try the Switch, hopefully it will be straighter for me. Switch should be much less stable? Not saying the Servo is a bad disc.. I like it but I have lots of work to do to make it do what I want. It's a bit more stable than I expected it to be.

Today I got my first throws with a (171g) Servo. I'm going to try the Switch, hopefully it will be straighter for me. Switch should be much less stable? Not saying the Servo is a bad disc.. I like it but I have lots of work to do to make it do what I want. It's a bit more stable than I expected it to be.

You should have some success with the Switch, it's got the most US flight of any MVP disc so far, IMO. Much less stable than the Servo.

The weight will be important, seems like guys at different power levels can get different amounts of stability based on 5-7 gram differences in weight.

The Servo is pretty straight for me through most of it's flight, so I may throw a bit longer than you. My Switch @ 168g is pretty flippy.

Its faster but similar stability. Servo has a little more of a dumpy fade like you see with the shock as well vs the FW fade in the volts.

TO make it easy think of them like:

Servo is like a slower volt
Switch is like a Slower Amp
Resistor is a slower shock on steroids.

:D

Last edited:
Its faster but similar stability. Servo has a little more of a dumpy fade like you see with the shock as well vs the FW fade in the volts.

TO make it easy think of them like:

Servo is like a slower volt
Switch is like a Slower Amp
Resistor is a slower shock on steroids.

:D

To add to this, then: If you're finding the Servo is more stable for you than expected, the Volt will be moreso due to the higher speed requirement.

Ok. I'll then just add a Switch to pair my Servo and work on my form until I can hit 300-325' with them consistently. Anode/Axis/Switch/Servo bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.