• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have experience with the various plastics for the volt? Specifically I am wondering about fission. The terra has piqued my interest more than I expected and so I'd like to try and see what the volt is like along side it. I am thinking about a 172ish and 160ish weight fission. I currently have a second run bendy james but it's still pretty over stable as far as volts go.

I have a 174g fission volt. I throw it out to about 375' with ZERO turn, and a predictable, late fade. Probably flies like 8,4,0,1.5. Only other volt I've thrown lately is a very early run neutron that flies very similarly, but with a bit of high speed drift and a slightly earlier fade. Probably 8,4,-0.25,2. They're too similar to carry both, but the fission pushes further on a straight line before it fades without that drift (even into a headwind). Mine is second formulation fission, fwiw.

Can we get some white cores with white rims please. And more all black would be sick too.

Does anyone have experience with the various plastics for the volt? Specifically I am wondering about fission. The terra has piqued my interest more than I expected and so I'd like to try and see what the volt is like along side it. I am thinking about a 172ish and 160ish weight fission. I currently have a second run bendy james but it's still pretty over stable as far as volts go.

Hey bud, the Volt was made for neutron 170-175+g.. Good control driver, weirdly good wind resistance but not OS kinda reliability. The ratings change from 8 5 -0.5 2 neutron to 8 5 -1 2 fission. If you go below 170g I'd say it goes 8 5 -1.5 (kinda in the wind) 1. It's a good mold, either will be less stable than your bendy James.

If you like a crave it will battle the volt.. Volt won in my bag. The terra piqued my interest though, but not until it's under 170g.

Hey bud, the Volt was made for neutron 170-175+g.. Good control driver, weirdly good wind resistance but not OS kinda reliability. The ratings change from 8 5 -0.5 2 neutron to 8 5 -1 2 fission. If you go below 170g I'd say it goes 8 5 -1.5 (kinda in the wind) 1. It's a good mold, either will be less stable than your bendy James.

If you like a crave it will battle the volt.. Volt won in my bag. The terra piqued my interest though, but not until it's under 170g.

Honestly I think the crave is what pushed the volt out for me. What does a plasma volt fly like according to the numbers?

TRADE IN DAY:

Swapped out a handful including my first Defy for a lighter one (173 ish to 161) and a Fission Tesla. I've tried Teslas (Cosmic Neutron and Proton) twice. Third time's the charm either way.

Initial impressions of the Fission Tesla are quite favorable: it goes like a scalded bat and doesn't fade immediately out of the hand like my previous encounters. Happy Friday to all.

Who all do you know that scalds bats!?

Who boils owl sh_t?

"Its more slippery than boiled owl sh_t!"

Sez my dad haha. Glad the first tesla tosses were good!

Who all do you know that scalds bats!?

Who boils owl sh_t?

"Its more slippery than boiled owl sh_t!"

Sez my dad haha. Glad the first tesla tosses were good!

Doesn't everyone?

It was borderline shocking coming off my previous encounters: I've been working hard on the FH release this year, and I probably have better, cleaner rotation (but less angle control) FH than I do BH. The Tesla (155 or 6 I think, with a nod to you) handled both with considerable grace.

Initial impressions of the Fission Tesla are quite favorable: it goes like a scalded bat and doesn’t fade immediately out of the hand like my previous encounters. Happy Friday to all.

I'm curious about this and will so until a few more posts come in. My disappointment with them out of the box is how they don't feel like a Tesla, and the plastic has too much of a teflon quality to it.

My recent Fission Photon is smooth, medium soft, and slightly tacky, it's amazing plastic, performed super well this past winter, and I prefer it to Photon's in any other plastic.

I picked up a sample of the recent Tesla runs - Plasma (1x173g) Neutron (2x173g) Proton (2x173g 1x175g 1x168g), Fission (2x174g). 8 In total.

The new proton plastic is incredible, my favorite for this mold. Proton vs other plastics comparison is same for recent Teslas and Insanities: it's pliable yet durable, excellent tack and confidence inspiring grip due to slightly more shoulder which gives it a mild (and welcome) dome. The 168g is a pop-top and it crushes.

Recent Neutron runs feel like K1 or Royal Grand to my hands, it's like single color cosmic neutron but softer. Works in lower temps than the Proton.

Plasma is still too.. unrefined. The sheen doesn't give me confident grip, and it's pretty stiff, and it's not good in the cold. It's nothing like G*, reminds me most of stiff Discraft Ti. I prefer Neutron and Proton in every way.

I want to like Fission, but it's just been all over the place. In dome, in stability, and most annoyingly - grip. I prefer the softer and buffed smooth versions (most recent run of Photon), and greatly dislike the chalky / slick /stiffer / drier versions (prior run of Teslas). This recent run, like the recent run of Waves, is somewhere in between. Which is a problem since I want to be able to use the softer plastic in cold temps, and in cold temps the stiffer fission is impossible to grip. It's not as bad as the prior run of Teslas.. but I was disappointed they weren't closer to the Photon version of the plastic.

Also, of the 8 new Teslas the Fissions have a deepest rim, it's noticeable and the shoulder is flatter - they feel more like a Recoil or Anax than a Tesla. The two Fissions also have the highest PLH, where all of other premiums were basically the same.

YMMV but since fission plastic in any mold seems to be a crapshot (and on the latest runs I've been losing) it's likely that the pending Crave will be my last try at Fission.

I digress.

Doesn't everyone?

It was borderline shocking coming off my previous encounters: I've been working hard on the FH release this year, and I probably have better, cleaner rotation (but less angle control) FH than I do BH. The Tesla (155 or 6 I think, with a nod to you) handled both with considerable grace.

You playing at Deerfield for league tomorrow? Should be a good crowd.

You playing at Deerfield for league tomorrow? Should be a good crowd.

Planning on an early morning round at Oregon. Not familiar with the league but would welcome a link, either here or via PM. Saw Sam's announcement for the next Gatewood event and am clearing with domestic management (our youngest's birthday is the day before).

Couple of quality throws this morning at Perkerson. Hadn't been in a while, and while parts of the course are a mess (and we were greeted on arrival by a law enforcement conclave), I'm beginning to understand why folks feel strongly about it. The back third especially winds through some lovely mature hardwoods, and it's hard not to enjoy.

The 6.5 speeds are a special breed. Playing around with weights/plastics/molds has filled my fairway slots (with the addition of an Air Explorer), usually Neutron 153g-162g. They power up and down well. Sharp-edged skippy mid? Check. Long turnovers or straight to fade? Check.

Recently pulled a couple of 1st gen Fission Volts out of storage, and am digging the 162g. Dead straight, even into medium headwinds. More reliable than the Air Saint. For whatever reason the Trilogy plastic doesn't hold it's stability for very long.

One of the new MVP Black Hole Gravity baskets, hole #6, at the Central Assembly of God DGC. I played on the original version and these are actually the newly upgraded version with 30 galvanized chains. These should be awesome for over $1,000 savings vs some of the other high end basket options for the course.

picture.php

Status
Not open for further replies.