• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the update, Throwa. Jet sounds interesting, I just wish Streamline offered discs in the 150s (more often? ever?).

Trace would also sound interesting, if it was available at paper plate weights.

I've never seen a streamline under 167g. The trace is alright, reminds me of a surge. Next time I play an open course I may take it along with a mayhem.

Pretty fired up about cosmic electron softenvy's but I tripped across 2 yellow e soft at the gas station and I just ordered another yellow (best color btw) with some glow in the dark disc dice because my fridge broke and they gave me a $50prepaid card I was trying to burn up. I really just need to order that 167 uplink instead that I want :D

Just proving that all decisions are temporary, disc golf is cyclical, and resistance is futile...

I snagged some Fission Photons and Cosmic Neutron Waves, in the hope of once again trying to shrink the gap between "normal" Photons and Waves. Last time I tried this I gave up on gyro drivers entirely, eventually settling for a couple years on a Trespass cycle. The problem is that I throw Waves better than any other distance driver, and Waves obliterate the cycle since they sit right in the middle stability rather than on a bookend. So alas, in 2022 I have decided to again try the gyro route for drivers with the Wave as my anchor point. Lineup under consideration:

Cosmic Neutron Photon
Fizz Photon and/or CN Wave
Fizz Wave
Renegade (until I can get my hands on a domey Plasma Vanish)

I also have a max weight PDx for serious beef, which only gets put in the bag on the windiest of days (apx. 5% of my rounds). Since I use it so rarely, I don't feel the need to snag a Thrill or Phase as a replacement OS bookend just yet.

Well that Cosmic Neutron Wave sure is something special. Way higher PLH than my other Waves and flies on a rope before the fade kicks in. To use the worst phrase in disc golf (although it actually fits in this situation), it's a longer Teebird for me. 11/4.5/0/2. Completely different disc from any other Wave I've ever thrown.

Finally found the Photon to "normal" Wave gap filler :thmbup:

I've never seen a streamline under 167g. The trace is alright, reminds me of a surge. Next time I play an open course I may take it along with a mayhem.

Yes I checked the Streamline website and they list 165 as the lowest weight for Jet, Trace, and Lift. I can't be tossing such heavy drivers. ;)

So unless they change their minds about lightweight discs, no Streamline for me. :(

I did find Plasma Insanity in light weights. Should arrive today. Hoping they are on the understable side.

Mornin folks!

New releases:
Jet 11 5 -3 2 from streamline
Fission octane which is going to be available as low as 155g
Fission Crave

Wow, so we are getting a Streamline Vanish. I have about six Vanishes now and bag three of them. Their understability and my (lack of) arm speed seems to be a match made in heaven.

What can I expect out of a Fission Crave? I love my Hokom's (straight), Plasma (slightly more OS) and Proton (more OS again).

Wow, so we are getting a Streamline Vanish. I have about six Vanishes now and bag three of them. Their understability and my (lack of) arm speed seems to be a match made in heaven.

What can I expect out of a Fission Crave? I love my Hokom's (straight), Plasma (slightly more OS) and Proton (more OS again).

Myprediction is the lighter weights will be flippy. :D

The max weight heavy ones might be real straight/stable stretching the line straight longer with a more defined fade.

I dunno. Seems like serious relay overlap

Gyroscopic mail call: 162 Defy (everything you loved about 174 but with less FH pain) and a Fission Reactor that might even out-Hex the Hex. Breezy this evening but initial impressions are in that direction.

Attachments

• B36F556F-10E4-4DE6-8CEC-FAADDFF8C32F.jpg
    B36F556F-10E4-4DE6-8CEC-FAADDFF8C32F.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 22
Gyroscopic mail call: 162 Defy (everything you loved about 174 but with less FH pain) and a Fission Reactor that might even out-Hex the Hex. Breezy this evening but initial impressions are in that direction.

What weight was your reactor?

What weight was your reactor?

170 or 171. A little lighter for a mid but not crazy. As mentioned above, it's quite breezy this evening, but a couple throws from the front to the back yard had it moving a lot straighter than my standard CN Reactor and more in line with the Hex (although still a little more predictable. I'm envisioning those two and the Runway covering the straight/stable/over bases.

For those who know the course, the Defy was money on White Oak no. 8 (and then again on 10) on Saturday. Through the gap cleanly and then pushed hard right. Was just inside the treeline maybe 20-25 short, but that's more on me than the disc. I think it'll push into the open if I can keep the nose down.

I did find Plasma Insanity in light weights. Should arrive today. Hoping they are on the understable side.

Yeah might be, there's a beat in period though, don't get discouraged ootb that being said very happy with my new 155 plaz inertia. It's a nice "beat in" neutron. Needs to have the edges beat off and stretched out but it's the nicest ootb inertia I ever had.

Tell me more about your 165 uplinks :D

Last edited:
Yeah might be, there's a beat in period though, don't get discouraged ootb that being said very happy with my new 155 plaz inertia. It's a nice "beat in" neutron. Needs to have the edges beat off and stretched out but it's the nicest ootb inertia I ever had.

My favorite plaz Insanity had a partly-attached gouge in the rim. Gave me that perfect controllably understable flight until I trimmed off the flap, at which point it went back to being an S-curve disc. :(

Neutron Inertia served as my workhorse driver for quite a spell, so if Plasma is a slightly more "beat in" version that sounds tasty.

Tell me more about your 165 uplinks :D

Not much new. Weather has been cruddy or super windy lately, so not much work with the Uplink. I should play a midrange-putter round to really get it dialed in, and to figure out if that is what I want in the understable mid slot.

I do appreciate that the Uplink has a black rim, and the Hex a brightly colored rim, which keeps me from grabbing the wrong mid (happens more than it should). :rolleyes:

Been tossing Electron Envy around the yard and working on form lately. I like that I can just hammer on the Envy without having to be super careful about angles. Hex is similar for me, very forgiving. Uplink needs a bit more delicacy.

Neutron Inertia served as my workhorse driver for quite a spell, so if Plasma is a slightly more "beat in" version that sounds tasty.

Been tossing Electron Envy around the yard and working on form lately. I like that I can just hammer on the Envy without having to be super careful about angles. Hex is similar for me, very forgiving. Uplink needs a bit more delicacy.

Sorry about the crap weather. Hope you get out soon. Glad the yard envy's are working out! :)

Yeah the plasma is nice, I was sorry I stalled too long and missed out on a bright yellow plasma tesla (from 2 different sellers haha) all the others are something between dirt brown, clay red, and dead leaf dark green.

I was stalling wondering about wind discs I will never use :D

Still thinking about a light uplink but man I'd hate for it to get too touchy. The 178's are a far cry from a 169 hex, they really do well at that weight, heavy and understable goes very far. I always wanted something 180g I could still throw without noticing the weight.

Well, after actually playing a round with the Pilot it isn't going to make my bag. Probably just too used to my Envy/Pig combo but I struggled with the Pilot this evening. On short shots where I wanted a really straight flight it had a little too much fade that I struggled to account for and in longer shots I was anticipating the finish but didn't get it and ended up right more than I wanted. It's still a good disc but it just didn't click with my game.

In other MVP news, I think I'm going to stick a couple of Craves back in the bag.

I don't know if you got the OG blend fission (soft, solid color) or the newer (fibreglass streaky, firm)... or the newest fission which reportedly sound like they're more like the SE Hachiman wave or the original runs. I just locked down a 152 streaky fission tesla on FB.

Brief throwback to update on current run of F Teslas.

With a big small sample size caveat (and different wear), I am finding the new F Teslas more OS than the ratings I gave for my older ones. The PLH is much higher and the profile looks much closer to how my other Teslas look. Before F vs. N flew like different molds, now I would say they have the same DNA and flight pattern, with the F being glidier and mellower as expected.

I have been throwing 168-170 L2's from the older, second-gen fission run. (Domey and streaky, kinda stiff). So far a fresh 152g is arriving at the same landing spots, coming out slightly faster but biting harder at the end. The new 168g I got as a backup is flying closer to plasma, but expecting some beat in. Maybe I will drop down in weight a little for my go-to.

165 plasma is really growing on me. Flies "exactly as advertised." Glidy but OS and wind resitent, longer eagle. Fissions are for when I want to throw as far as an OLS/Valk (or almost an insanity) but do on a straight rope instead of hyzerflip or S.

Was able to throw the terra and fission reactors today. Conditions were not optimal. The wind was swirling and had some decent gusts so of the good conditions I was pleasantly surprised. I am not sure I could tell all that much difference between the 161 and 171 but I will need to get out when it's a little calmer to get a better read on the reactors. The terra is the one that really surprised me. When I first heard about the release of this disc I wasn't all that impressed. But I also really have not been enjoying my eagle too much so I gave the terra a shot. It is really a nice disc and fills the OS fairway slot nicely. I'm excited to give this one more throws over the coming months.

Well, after actually playing a round with the Pilot it isn't going to make my bag. Probably just too used to my Envy/Pig combo but I struggled with the Pilot this evening. On short shots where I wanted a really straight flight it had a little too much fade that I struggled to account for and in longer shots I was anticipating the finish but didn't get it and ended up right more than I wanted. It's still a good disc but it just didn't click with my game.

In other MVP news, I think I'm going to stick a couple of Craves back in the bag.

That's why I like the Pilot--it has enough stability to be straight and not squirrelly. Not sure what plastic you got, but Electron will get to that point where there is little to no fade.

That's why I like the Pilot--it has enough stability to be straight and not squirrelly. Not sure what plastic you got, but Electron will get to that point where there is little to no fade.

Thanks. I actually picked up a sweet looking Proton. Kind of a dark teal blue with sparkles.

I am not really looking to mix up my putters right now anyways but I just always like trying things that I haven't tried. You know, in case there's something out there that just might work better than what I'm currently throwing.

Brief throwback to update on current run of F Teslas.

With a big small sample size caveat (and different wear), I am finding the new F Teslas more OS than the ratings I gave for my older ones. The PLH is much higher and the profile looks much closer to how my other Teslas look. Before F vs. N flew like different molds, now I would say they have the same DNA and flight pattern, with the F being glidier and mellower as expected.

I have been throwing 168-170 L2's from the older, second-gen fission run. (Domey and streaky, kinda stiff). So far a fresh 152g is arriving at the same landing spots, coming out slightly faster but biting harder at the end. The new 168g I got as a backup is flying closer to plasma, but expecting some beat in. Maybe I will drop down in weight a little for my go-to.

165 plasma is really growing on me. Flies "exactly as advertised." Glidy but OS and wind resitent, longer eagle. Fissions are for when I want to throw as far as an OLS/Valk (or almost an insanity) but do on a straight rope instead of hyzerflip or S.

Much appreciated, so I guess when I back up my 155 OG fission I should probably get a 150g .... And a 155 to be safe :D.

I'm alright with a hard fade on the new ones, I will just hope a lighter one or more some beating on a fresh fission will get it where I want. Might be better to cycle (is what I will tell myself).

Curious about the plasmas, I guess I need one of those too haha. I'm hoping they are still the middle stability.

For me the tesla is the envy of drivers. There's a lot of similar characteristics. The OS to dump straight laser, the resistant S flight, or the ability to really crank an anny (when you get it far enough over)... the surprising distance, the need for nose down and to throw it with some oomph or at least purpose. Just a good all round utility disc.

My 152 streaky arrived today... Might try that tonight. Definitely more dome on these newer fission teslas.

Last edited:
Much appreciated, so I guess when I back up my 155 OG fission I should probably get a 150g .... And a 155 to be safe :D.

Definitely! Its the only way to account for the potential variability between technique and mold variations. I really dig teslas and have been buying a lot recently, but I wouldn't say my ratings are expert by any means…. So more discs!

For now I stand by Plasma being in between heavy fission and N

Status
Not open for further replies.