• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I think the tesla isn't headwind resistant enough.. I'm still going to fill my bag with em though. As long as the wind is moderate I'm alright. I don't get enough wind and open courses in regular play to dial it in so I didn't expect my tesla to flip.

I am going to start packing the 168 entropy.

So you folks who play gyro and shy away from full weight what's my best bet? I'm barely at 300' clocked a bunch at 280' in the tourney... I'd like something a little flat/thumber friendly. I need more headwind resistance than a 163 fission tesla.

Should I get a light beefy disc? Looking at a 158-162 wrath or defy... start throwing a heavy volt or relay? Slow speed or max distance? 165g is kind of my max weight but I can make a heavy relay work alright..

The old fella (20yrs my senior) I played with was throwing a shryke I think, nice clean 250 ish and he made no mistakes and beat me by 7 strokes. He used the turn and fade beautifully.

I dunno how it compares in stability to the Tesla (some dude on the Wrath thread thought it was less stable) but current run wraths are coming out beautifully flat and I got one way down at 157. Really good disc for forehand. Slots right into the flat, lightweight thunderbird spot that I can't find in stores anymore.

So I think the tesla isn't headwind resistant enough.. I'm still going to fill my bag with em though. As long as the wind is moderate I'm alright. I don't get enough wind and open courses in regular play to dial it in so I didn't expect my tesla to flip.

So you folks who play gyro and shy away from full weight what's my best bet? I'm barely at 300' clocked a bunch at 280' in the tourney... I'd like something a little flat/thumber friendly. I need more headwind resistance than a 163 fission tesla.

Should I get a light beefy disc? Looking at a 158-162 wrath or defy... start throwing a heavy volt or relay? Slow speed or max distance? 165g is kind of my max weight but I can make a heavy relay work alright..

The old fella (20yrs my senior) I played with was throwing a shryke I think, nice clean 250 ish and he made no mistakes and beat me by 7 strokes. He used the turn and fade beautifully.

I throw a bit further, and waves are my standard distance driver. Into a decent headwind, I disc up to a Mayhem. Similar stability, just faster. I end up with a similar flight.

Well, I don't mean to burst your bubble or deny you the opportunity to purchase new plastic, but….

If you're playing the same course as the old dude throwing a Shryke and he isn't struggling with that disc in the wind then your stuff is either super flippy or you weren't playing the wind very well that day.

I'm an old guy but I don't really have any physical limitations that make throwing lighter discs a necessity yet so everything I bag is pretty close to max weight.

I usually opt for control over distance when its windy. For me, its usually a max weight lucid Felon. When the wind is under 20 mph I'll usually hit it flat and just let it ride. 20+ and I'll start it on hyzer and let it flip up and go.

Since you're an MVP guy, my wife uses a light weight Fireball and it handles the stupidest winds quite well for her. (Side note: she also recently discovered that she can throw it low and flat and count on a big flare skip when she needs it so she seems to break it out more and more lately.)

Thanks a bunch for all the input!!!

Yeah I read that wrath thing as well about being less stable.. Sounds like a decent disc.

I can totally see the mayhem being a longer wave, I've had good luck with it before in the wind. Little turn little fade, fairly easy to compensate for the fade with extra turn. It's the high speed driver I wish I could throw or that they'd make in a light weight.

I'm heavily encouraged by the fireball testimonials, I had one a while back at 166 and it was beefy. The description is "a more stable tesla", with a nice wind numbers 9 3.5 0 3

Glad to hear it works for a wife and a headwind. Could have some utility usefulness, I've heard its a more mellow or longer firebird.

Thanks a bunch for all the input!!!

Yeah I read that wrath thing as well about being less stable.. Sounds like a decent disc.

I can totally see the mayhem being a longer wave, I've had good luck with it before in the wind. Little turn little fade, fairly easy to compensate for the fade with extra turn. It's the high speed driver I wish I could throw or that they'd make in a light weight.

I'm heavily encouraged by the fireball testimonials, I had one a while back at 166 and it was beefy. The description is "a more stable tesla", with a nice wind numbers 9 3.5 0 3

Glad to hear it works for a wife and a headwind. Could have some utility usefulness, I've heard its a more mellow or longer firebird.
Can you find fireballs right now? I was kinda looking for them at one point and didn't have much luck. But then again that's kinda the story of any mold the last couple years.

Can you find fireballs right now? I was kinda looking for them at one point and didn't have much luck. But then again that's kinda the story of any mold the last couple years.

There were a bunch in Neutron and Proton at our local shop today (and a ton of linked retailers on trydiscs), so I'm thinking there's been a recent production run.

And FWIW, Ray's wife is apparently who I want to be when I grow up: huge admiration for her being able to deploy the Fireball effectively.

And FWIW, Ray's wife is apparently who I want to be when I grow up: huge admiration for her being able to deploy the Fireball effectively.

Lol. Thanks.

She only really started playing last summer but she's progressing nicely. Still has a lot of room to improve but she's getting better all the time.

The Fireball was a disc that she wanted because it was pretty and I couldn't explain it to her at the time that it was likely not going to be a good disc for her. When she found herself pinched off in a bad spot and didn't know what to do I would kind of instruct her on how to throw the Fireball to get back into a good spot. Basically, it only came out when I suggested that it was her best option. Now she is starting to figure out what it can and can't do for her and I see her starting to use it more and more. I think her favorite use for it is a low, flat shot that she knows is going to hit the ground and flare hard right. (She's a lefty. Me trying to tutor her as a lefty has its own set of challenges.)

Yeah I saw a couple 157's.. Kinda thinking that might be the way to go. At least that's the way I'm leaning, 9 3.5 0 3.5 sounds a little crazy but who knows at 158g it should be decent.

I'm kinda wondering about the defy still -1 turn at speed 11 is appealing. 11 5 -1 3 is also a natural step up. I still like wide rims even though it's out of my wheelhouse.

Haha I found a cute matched set actually. Reverse colors defy and fireball. Haha cute, haha ha. I can't erase it now... :D

I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Hex to slot between my beefy Z Buzzz and Meteor. Hoping to get out and throw it soon but I'm already loving the slimmer feel versus my Z Buzzz- more like the ESP I have.

Attachments

• EF23DACD-2DE7-4BE8-AAFE-D984D2730C4A.jpg
    EF23DACD-2DE7-4BE8-AAFE-D984D2730C4A.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 21
If you're a Buzzz guy you should really dig the hex, I don't know how well it will slot in between, more like competition for a well seasoned Buzzz.

So I've been obsessing way too much about a magic disc, I decided the purple swirly defy with the sexy yellow rim won't solve my problems.

There is no magic disc.. (But I will keep looking :D)

Fireball makes sense if I want to stray, good and beefy, I had a 166 proton I hated haha. Would 10g or a 30 mph headwind make a difference? Maybe.

What if I found a beefy neutron tesla? Maybe consider some 166g action. Or look for a 170? Stay familiar and go for a fuller weight?

Haha I've been obsessing so much I got a cart up to $100 and all I really wanted was a light uplink :) maybe a plasma tesla. Maybe some disc dice, maybe another soft electron envy... :) :)

I have been throwing a lot of teslas this year after tracking down some fissions. They are becoming my main drivers and all but replacing the 11 speeds and most of the 6.5 speed throws. Some quick data points on mine

N, 170g -- very flat and high plh: 9,4,0,3
Plas, 165 -- medium plh, closer to fission, medium shoulder but otherwise flat: 9,4,0,2 (fresh)
Fissions, ~168 -- low plh, large shoulder leads into some dome: 9,5+,-1,2

N and F teslas are different discs entirely to me. F is my main driver, N for headwinds and very accurate forehands. The N fades early and hard. Plasma is new to me, still testing it out, but it may replace the N if it holds up to wind. The plas is very thunderbird-ish, or a faster volt, its probably a good "normal" baseline tesla.

I also bag a fireball (usually firebird, but its in a pond, so trying the fireball). So I don't need my OS tesla to be very OS. There is still a big gap between the N tesla and a true OS fairway. The tesla might even fade as hard--fireball being dumpy, tesla being more flat and penetrating and moving farther horizontally. But the HSS is very different. Tesla will go straight for longer and pans if given a hard anny forehand. I want my OS fairway to fight anny early for woods scrambling, Tesla won't do that, its a straight to fade disc even though the fade is hard.

I haven't had this N tesla out in crazy winds yet. I do have high expectations, but can't give you a definitive answer there. But if you were worried about low 160's fissions not holding up, the neutron is a real step up. You may not need 170 either depending on how flat you can find.

The best headwind disc I have, by far, is a 158 CN photon. Its a freak with a very high wing and board flat--flatter than a fireball. Heavier ones are probably better, but unnecessary for me. In really heavy wind, OS discs seem to me to "fight" by constantly fading back into the wind. This photon just ignores wind, slicing through and just flying its line. Really fun in those conditions. So maybe your defy idea could work too?

The comparison, or discussion, between the Tesla and Wrath has got me thinking. I've played two very challenging courses yesterday and today and was able to give my wrath some good action. I don't think I have a noodle arm necessarily. I have thrown a 171g Zeus 430' and a 171g insanity 400'...That said, I have not seen any turn out of my two new Wrath's. They fly about 9 5 0 1.5 mayyyybee 9 5 0 2. But seriously just such a sweet disc and really gives a good gap between the motion/fireball and the Wrath.

Compared to the Tesla I see a lot of people saying it's more stable than even the Wrath and not by a small amount. I've not thrown a Tesla but it seems like the Teebird vs. Eagle at least to me. My Eagle (X) is significantly more stable than the teebird but is also easier to flex. But once it comes out of the flex it fades hard.

N, 170g -- very flat and high plh: 9,4,0,3
Plas, 165 -- medium plh, closer to fission, medium shoulder but otherwise flat: 9,4,0,2 (fresh)
Fissions, ~168 -- low plh, large shoulder leads into some dome: 9,5+,-1,2

N and F teslas are different discs entirely to me. F is my main driver, N for headwinds and very accurate forehands. The N fades early and hard. Plasma is new to me, still testing it out, but it may replace the N if it holds up to wind. The plas is very thunderbird-ish, or a faster volt, its probably a good "normal" baseline tesla.

I haven't had this N tesla out in crazy winds yet. I do have high expectations, but can't give you a definitive answer there. But if you were worried about low 160's fissions not holding up, the neutron is a real step up. You may not need 170 either depending on how flat you can find.

Wow!!!! thanks for the giant book of knowledge! Most helpful :D

Much of it is in line with what I've noticed, my only neutrons are the 158 SE, I wish I'd taken one for the tourney, but too pretty to throw near ponds and I got raped by them, the OB, and the sandtraps last time on that course.

I don't know if you got the OG blend fission (soft, solid color) or the newer (fibreglass streaky, firm)... or the newest fission which reportedly sound like they're more like the SE Hachiman wave or the original runs. I just locked down a 152 streaky fission tesla on FB.

Talked to a FB buddy about a fission defy he got out of his mystery box it didn't hold up to the wind, but it also wasn't neutron. I think I'm crossing that idea off the list, forget about other crap. I've got some fission photons they don't fare well in the wind at 150 haha.

Thanks for talking about the neutron tesla's in depth, currently in the cart I've got a 166 neutron (kinda my max happy weight) and 157 plasma tesla. If the neutron comes out flat it will be thumber friendly. Hoping they kind of back up my 155 and 163 old fissions, got a 162 newer fission I'm working on and it's more stable but not necessarily much more wind resistant. Erknjerk was saying the plasma was more inbetween and he was having some flips in a 25mph headwind... he used the fireball.. I have a 157 in the cart but it's not a disc I would throw a lot but I could use a stable bookend.

Tried my pfn 155 plasma tesla (freaky meathook) last few days in mild winds with the fresh 162 fission and a worn pfn sparkle proton, all about the same except the plasma is unwieldy stable if not powered up and does a flip to wander if I really cheat it anhyzer. The proton was more likely to turn. I played the wind like a champ when it doesn't matter for sh## and it's under 15mph.

I think if you find the neutron that different and the most stable, I'm encouraged to try the 166. Give up on the notion of a fireball for now. Maybe, once you start a box rather than single disc you might as well buy more to spread the shipping cost right? Haha

Yes, buy all the Fireballs. Completely ignore the superior disc made in the same factory…(more for me)

Yes, buy all the Fireballs. Completely ignore the superior disc made in the same factory…(more for me)

Are you rambling about the Flare again? Trying to trick people into buying Fireballs instead so you can find Flares in stock?

The Flare is definitely where the beef is at in the MVP family but us mere mortals are probably better served with the Fireball.

Question for you MVP nutjobs.

The TSA Animus is made by MVP isn't it?

I am curious how it compares to a Streamline Trace?

Anyone thrown both?

Are you rambling about the Flare again? Trying to trick people into buying Fireballs instead so you can find Flares in stock?

The Flare is definitely where the beef is at in the MVP family but us mere mortals are probably better served with the Fireball.

No idea what you are on about.

Status
Not open for further replies.