• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off season disc tryouts

himynameismatt said:
, So I'll be trying to find something to fill that 350-375 range accurately and reliably.

Why am I thinking a Cheetah here?

Have you tried the Rogue?

giving the roc, classic roc, and comet a shot, so far im liking what i see but gotta throw them around a bit more

dgfanatic7 said:
giving the roc, classic roc, and comet a shot, so far im liking what i see but gotta throw them around a bit more
I'm a big fan of the Comet, less so of the Roc, but I'm curious how the Classic compares to the standard. Both feel in hand and in flight. Any insights as you're playing with all three right now?

I'm trying out some super cliche disc combos this winter. I have been throwing z buzzzes and wasps for my mids for the last year and it has been working out pretty well. Except when in need a touch understable line or a turnover line from my mids. I have been covering this up by throwing classic rocs as my driving putter but i'm tired of not having an understable mid for line shaping at distances that the croc just isn't reliable. So rocs and buzzzes are being tried out. I'm also starting to reliably get my wraiths out over 400 ft so I am going to start playing with some z nukes and some nice destroyers that I have picked up and see if they do anything for me. And as a heads up to FrankD, this means i'm going to stop trading off sweet rocs for a while

Frank Delicious said:
Leopard (star/pro): I love ELs, love them a whole bunch. They are like longer leopards but it is hard to get one beat in to where it needs to be for a nice flippy driver since the DX is too flippy and the champ takes forever to break in. Star and pro leopards take much less time to break in and after losing my flippy EL early this year, it has been a struggle to find another EL that will fill that spot and I have mostly been using a powered down SOLF for this shot. That is a bit of a problem because while the SOLF powers down well, if I power it down too much to make the distance fit, it doesn't always flip properly.
Rly? I've noticed that the domey ELs aren't far from being Leo like from the get go. I go back and forth from Leos and ELs (and River) too though.

Personally, I might dabble in distance drivers since on days I can actually throw like I know what I'm doing, they're actually useful. Right now I'm trying out a Viking and and a Monarch but something tells me that the S-PD and P-PD are going to beat them out. The only thing I don't like about my P-PD is that it's 150. And it has some ugly DGR stamp on it. :lol:

I really like the stability of the Viking but it's too blunt, feels too slow. I'm very curious about the new CDs and might audition one.

I might try a Vector against my Pains one day since I'm throwing an Axis religiously but I hardly use that slot anyway. I'd like to try a 160s Ion against my little bead Ion for approaches. That's about it.

Dbuntu said:
dgfanatic7 said:
I'm a big fan of the Comet, less so of the Roc, but I'm curious how the Classic compares to the standard. Both feel in hand and in flight. Any insights as you're playing with all three right now?

not yet, going out and throwing today but will let you know, just got my new bag in as well

Dbuntu said:
dgfanatic7 said:

ok so far, hate the roc and not a fan of the buzz for my backhands so im trying out hornet, classic roc was great, very stable with good glide, but i traded it for a buzz ss, so still trying to find the perfect mid to compliment my comet. also comparing putters, focus, esp banger and ion for driving, off my wizard high, so picked up a soft focus for putting but may go with a pro d, or go back to challengers. more tests and results to come

dgfanatic7 said:
Dbuntu said:
dgfanatic7 said:

ok so far, hate the roc and not a fan of the buzz for my backhands so im trying out hornet, classic roc was great, very stable with good glide, but i traded it for a buzz ss, so still trying to find the perfect mid to compliment my comet. also comparing putters, focus, esp banger and ion for driving, off my wizard high, so picked up a soft focus for putting but may go with a pro d, or go back to challengers. more tests and results to come
give the gateway scout a try in e plastic.

Loving Omega APs but man the plastic of the one I have is super slick when it is cold out.

Also digging the RR, haven't really given it a fair try before but now that I have I am really digging it. It's a good replacement for my beat SOLF. Still a bit touchy but the learning new flippy drivers is one of the hardest things for me since it takes me a while to find their sweet spot.

Frank Delicious said:
Loving Omega APs but man the plastic of the one I have is super slick when it is cold out.

Also digging the RR, haven't really given it a fair try before but now that I have I am really digging it. It's a good replacement for my beat SOLF. Still a bit touchy but the learning new flippy drivers is one of the hardest things for me since it takes me a while to find their sweet spot.

I look at this kind of sweet spot as a question of speed or power. Not every disc will perform well at your normal power. So it is a matter of learning how much to dial back in order to get a useful flight from a disc. All of us have "tweener" distances and lines. On a 250 to 300 foot straight tunnel or gentle anhyzer it is longer than the range of my mids and shorter than my "full speed" drivers. The solution is a flippy driver but that takes a lot of practice to learn. Then the wind picks up and you have to learn how much to trust that flippy driver and when to abandon it in favor of a stronger disc.

Mark Ellis said:
I look at this kind of sweet spot as a question of speed or power. Not every disc will perform well at your normal power. So it is a matter of learning how much to dial back in order to get a useful flight from a disc. All of us have "tweener" distances and lines. On a 250 to 300 foot straight tunnel or gentle anhyzer it is longer than the range of my mids and shorter than my "full speed" drivers. The solution is a flippy driver but that takes a lot of practice to learn. Then the wind picks up and you have to learn how much to trust that flippy driver and when to abandon it in favor of a stronger disc.

Exactly. I know how much I need to dial back on my beat SOLFs but since it is the season to lose discs under mounds of leaves, they have come out of the bag for the fall. The RR has the same flight path for me but figuring out exactly how to finesse it and how it flies when I back off on it are the things causing me problems. The disc and I seem to be a good fit, the trick is to just learning it.

zj1002 said:
@Frank: RR over QOLS?

QOLS's always throw more like orcs or old mold beast to me than a beat up SOLF. Maybe it is b/c I have never beaten one in very far.

dgfanatic7 said:
Dbuntu said:
dgfanatic7 said:

How about trying a pain?

Mark Ellis said:
Frank Delicious said:

This is the spot in my bag that I go back and forth in my head with, and the only unsure area I have right now. For me the gap between my mids and preferred driver is from 300'-350' (for a low line shot). It seems like I have a tough time committing to either a flippy version(TD) of my preferred driver(PD) like Mark suggests, or shoving another mold in the middle (slow driver). Right now I'm practicing the first option, but I'm having some inconsistencies mostly with dialing back power and in the wind. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to keep working on it though, because I've not been able to keep any fairway driver on the market in my bag for very long because I just end up barely using it.

For me I learned how to throw mids a lot better this year. Which means last tourney I played I overthrew a lot of approaches the first day or two, and underthrew the last day. So my plan for the next 6 months is to throw putter and mid rounds only. My approach game has always been my bread and butter, so it is strange to not feel comfortable with it.

Tryouts are a stingray, coyote,shark and spider. Also will continue to work with the 3 rocs I already have and my champ cobra and rhyno. I believe I also have an mrv and another mid that I will try. Starting out with plastic I already have and going from there.

I am going to work with dart to try and beat some in to replace my wedges, and giving the cyclone another try against the xs.