• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
holy balls, bigman.

that's ridiculous.

i'mma file that bamboo tip away for later; i have to do another dye with feathering and that sort of shading since i lost the original disc it was on. this time it'll probably turn out better if i do that instead of trying to cut out the little lines.

edit -

bigman, what do you paint with when you do your details? detergent or acetone?

Last edited:
Acetone for all that shading stuff. If I want to fill an area with a flat color/black I use detergent.

Just when I think I did something pretty cool I see one like that yoda from bigman.

This is for my nephew's birthday:

photo+(6).JPG

You guys are awesome, Im new to the disc golf world but I love me some arts and crafts and after 1000 pages of Dyed disk and 15 youtube how to videos im already hooked. Iv got my vinyl on the way.

I would love to read a tutorial on the painting technique DTP & the rest of the guild members are using. I can never seem to get a consistent mix of dye, detergent, acetone/alcohol, etc, and can only assume I'm mixing incorrectly. I also know DTP uses acetone to 'remove' some dye for shading purposes - cotton swab, q-tip, do you let the dye soak in, then rinse, then remove, etc?

You guys are getting some absolutely awesome colors & detail, and I just don't feel I'm getting the same results...not that it's keeping me from trying! :)

FWIW....'remove' may be a bit strong. Anyone who has experimented with acetone painting knows that it sets almost instantly. That being said, when I am painting I always keep clean acetone, q tips and cotton balls handy. Great for picking up stray drops or quickly 'lightening' a shade that layed down too dark. A much better approach to getting specific colors/intensity is to go with the detergent paint. It may take a few tries to get the color you want but you can slowly build it up with a lot of control. Straight acetone painting is very much like watercolor painting and while you can lighten some stuff, for the most part what you put down is what you are stuck with. It would be a much easier process if there were a way to truly 'remove' all unintended dye.

It amazes me how much the artistry has changed over the years.
:clap:

That's what I was just thinking. I remember disc dyes as being super simple and kinda cheap looking. After looking through just a few of theses pages its clear that these guys have turned it into a true art form. Simply amazing.

A few dyes I did a while back for my girls for Easter. The UEFA one didn't quite turn out - I was trying to do an ambigram, and also had a few bleeds. The other's turned out well.
9159985273_57bcc7a29f_z.jpg

8631682782_94f9971c4d_z.jpg

8630574731_70f214d25d_z.jpg

Love this disc but I wish I would have done the background colors a bit differently because it kind of blends into the woods.

Attachments

• IMG_20130312_232917.jpg
    IMG_20130312_232917.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 108
DG Junkie Dyes

Here are a couple of my Junked Up Dyes. New technique I'm experimenting with.

Attachments

• Junked Up Amp.jpg
    Junked Up Amp.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Junked Up Dye.jpg
    Junked Up Dye.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Rainbow Sperm.jpg
    Rainbow Sperm.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 141
Okay, Okay, last one

Here is another one I finished last night.

Attachments

• Junked Up Zombee.jpg
    Junked Up Zombee.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 142
Status
Not open for further replies.