• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Only issue I have is I like the grip better on a Medium. I'd love a slightly more overstable Medium for woods. I really like the control an Ascent gives when I need more effective tight distance.

My glow Ascent is very beefy and I believe that others have noted that as well. Maybe try hunting one of those down.

The Glows are the new (overstable) mold.

Does this hold true for all Vibram glow molds? I know that traditionally, the glow version of any given disc is thought to be more (over)stable than its non-glow counterpart, but I was wondering.

While I carry (and LOVE) the Ridge, Obex, and unLace, I am most concerned with the difference (stablility-wise) between a Medium Glow Lace and a just a regular ol' Medium Lace.

...sorry if this question has been answered before. I did a fair amount of searching and can only find a somewhat definitive "yes, the glow is a lot more beefy than the non-glow" when it comes to the Ascent.

Thanks in advance everyone!
-Bubs :p

The only mold tweak, to my knowledge, was to the Ascent.

I wouldn't worry too much about the stability difference in glow to regular XL. Unless it is an O-Lace, the glow O's are much more overstable (and of course the tweaked Ascent).

I have 4 Ascents, 2 of them are glows and 2 I've had for a year or two each. None have the 1 tooled into them.

I just got a 'new' Ascent that has the 1 tooled into it.

So now I am more confused ..... is the glow the new tooling? Is the 1 tooling less beefy? Someone straighten me out here please.

:doh:

# 1 tooling

according to vibram the number 1 is just a mold number. I have an unlace with 1 tooled. the guy at vibram said that its just a difference in the grip and softness/firmness. that's just what he told me.

As I understand it, the different markings on the bottom of the discs just indicate which specific machine the disc came from. At least that was the case with the star (and some other symbols I can't recall at the moment) you find on the bottom of Vibrams.

are the prototype obexs more valuable than the production runs? just curious. not lookin to get rid of it, just like the knowledge.
Thrown or unthrown?

A Vibram collector would pay a little extra for it, but only a few bucks more than a production run probably. And as with any disc, an unthrown disc will be more valuable than one that has been used.

I also noticed the Ascent with the 1 tooling has a different size tooling for the flight numbers. They are also offset. Different die/mold?

I have 4 Ascents, 2 of them are glows and 2 I've had for a year or two each. None have the 1 tooled into them.

I just got a 'new' Ascent that has the 1 tooled into it.

So now I am more confused ..... is the glow the new tooling? Is the 1 tooling less beefy? Someone straighten me out here please.

:doh:

You should be able to immediately feel the difference between the two. I will double check all of my glow Ascents, but I thought they were all the newer more overstable mold.

Well, I thought I lost my first Vibram disc earlier this winter season. Then a little over a week ago I got a phone call. Someone found it. I finally got it back yesterday and wow. It had clearly been sitting in the sun most of the time it was gone because the colors on top were clearly faded. I haven't thrown my firend yet as he was due to retire anyways, but I am now curious to see if this refound Lace will act more like an UnLace now. I have yet to loose a Vibram disc.