• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

You should be able to immediately feel the difference between the two. I will double check all of my glow Ascents, but I thought they were all the newer more overstable mold.

I'm going to assume they are all the same as they feel and look identical. Haven't had a chance to throw the newest one which is the only one I have that has the 1 tooled into the back.

Still wondering if there is a consistent method to determine this other than feel alone (ie. the tooling mark). Maybe the 'new' mold is a few years old and all the newer Ascents are the beefy variety and the 1 tooling is just a new machine and/or a duplicate mold (of the OS variety) to increase production. Hopefully they don't have 2 different molds that are still in production and the less OS one's are simply old stock that are still finding there way out onto the course.

On the old mold the bottom of the mold isn't as tall as the new, thus giving new molds a higher parting line(like they used a spacer or something), that being said I've still found even higher parting lines among the new "1" tooled mold. Something I noticed the rubber blends changed slightly and it seems around that time the ascent tweak was made. All of the old molds I had, medium or firm, were of a slicker run of rubber (the old stuff) and all my new beefies are 1 tooled and of the newer rubber blend.

I love Vibram, especially Soles and Traks, definitely my 2 favorite molds. I started off last year putting exclusively with soft Soles, but after playing through some windy rounds ditched them for mediums, and I keep a firm in my bag for putter drives.

Anyways, I figured I would post the 2 dyes I just did on my medium Soles. They are now my 'Butters Putters'. the Trust the Butters one has alot of bleeding on it, and the Chaos one was an experiment - the letters and fire are a blue and black detergent dye - didn't take super well, but hey, I'm no perfectionist (thankfully).

About to start on my firm one - probably gnna do General Disarray.

Attachments

• 0118141854.jpg
    0118141854.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 0126141406c.jpg
    0126141406c.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 36
Just got my M172 O-Lace from disc golf center the other day to pair up with my Lace and Unlace. I got a few throws in with it that I usually use my firebird for. Snowy conditions and windy and took wind on like a champ. Flies similar to my seasoned star firebird but gives me that extra distance I need. I'm very happy with it even though I only have tossed it a few times.

1st pic:pink 175 firm tweaked mold?(large number flight ratings) vs 175 glow ascent (large number flight ratings)
2nd pic:yellow medium old mold 17? Ascent(small flight numbers) vs glow ascent
3rd pic:red 174 firm new mold with 1 tooling (small flight numbers) vs yellow medium

Attachments

• IMG_20140126_153404_461.jpg
    IMG_20140126_153404_461.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20140126_153147_609.jpg
    IMG_20140126_153147_609.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20140126_152741_516.jpg
    IMG_20140126_152741_516.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 22
1st pic: pink firm ascent from before vs yellow medium.
2nd pic: pink firm vs red firm

You can see the subtle variations from each of the molds: with the large number newer runs having a slightly different slope to the wing and high parting line, the 1 tooled obex have high parting line with the bottom wing being more similar to old molds with low parting line.

Attachments

• IMG_20140126_152552_419.jpg
    IMG_20140126_152552_419.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20140126_152354_755.jpg
    IMG_20140126_152354_755.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
This thread gets a little more travel from the Vibram guys, so I'll also ask here: Thinking of picking up an unLace again after passing my other one off to my dad. How are the firms beating in? Are they becoming fliptastic, or holding a sweet spot? If the firms are too flippy I can go medium again, just wanted to check in and see what the consensus was. Thanks.

The only Unlace I have is firm. It is by far the flippiest disc I own and its not beat in at all. I mainly use it on shorter drives, never really air it out because it would never come back.

HIasianguy, Thanks for those comparison pics.

Seconded

All mine have similar PLH's, wing design, and depth. Stockpiling a few so just checking in. I guess I haven't had one of the old mold style.

1 tooling and small offset/slightly crooked flight #'s must be a second machine and/or die set of the newer more OS mold.

Thanks for the help.
:clap:

About Ascent mold question, if you hold an old one and a new one, you really will feel it instantly. On the new one, the rim feels much deeper than the old. I really don't care for it, it feels uncomfortable to me.

This thread gets a little more travel from the Vibram guys, so I'll also ask here: Thinking of picking up an unLace again after passing my other one off to my dad. How are the firms beating in? Are they becoming fliptastic, or holding a sweet spot? If the firms are too flippy I can go medium again, just wanted to check in and see what the consensus was. Thanks.
If you're definitely going to get an unLace, get a medium.

I only throw Mediums, but I have learned the fine art of throwing the UnLace with a tail or right to left wind and found awesomeness in a disc. I also throw rollers with my Medium and tend to get the best rolls I have ever gotten. Just because I only throw Medium doesn't mean that the firms aren't great. That being said, I would trust Dana's opinion.

I roll with a medium Trak too, I just feel that sometimes you lose a little when the M initially hits the ground? I could be wrong. I definitely plan on testing the M and F unLace against each other during some Memorial practice rounds.

I roll with a medium Trak too, I just feel that sometimes you lose a little when the M initially hits the ground? I could be wrong. I definitely plan on testing the M and F unLace against each other during some Memorial practice rounds.

I tried the M Trak for rollers but ended up sticking with the Avenger SS. Now that the UnLace is in my bag I took the Avenger SS out of the bag. I tend to not like the feel of the firm as much so I stick to Medium but I do not notice the medium loosing any umph when it hits the ground.

What does it mean when the flight plate has the speed, fade, box but no numbers. The slots where there should be a number are empty. Disc in question is an Ascent.

thanks

What does it mean when the flight plate has the speed, fade, box but no numbers. The slots where there should be a number are empty. Disc in question is an Ascent.

thanks

That means the disc is typically a first run or proto version.