• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

So thanks everyone I asked awhile ago how to improve my game being new to this. I tried everything I thought. One suggestion was to get lighter discs. I didn't want to spend more. I figured out what my problem was I was angling the disc too high so it was pretty much just going skyward then fading hard. I then even lost my lace. I then found out about the bonapane grip. This grip did it. Yesterday using my ascent I was placing drives around 250. The big thing for me was I was placing them and had awesome control. Today I bought another lace and right after work went out to play. On the 18th I drove it 433 feet. I got that measurement from an app on my phone so accuracy could be wrong. All in all though I was driving to the basket or at least giving me realistic birdie shots. I threw my buddies katana and teen to see the diff. I love the vibram lace. The way it stays lows and glides an consistently give you that amazing S. I won't throw another disc other then vibram. Thanks again everyone.

Does anyone else get funky results from overhand shots with Vibram discs? I've been thumbing my medium Trak and Ascent, when necessary, and they seem to bounce and roll and whole lot. Previously, I'd overhand primarily with a Golf Line Trident, and that thing would just plop where it landed.

I'm not surprised by this, given that they're rubber, but was just curious about the experience of other folks. I'd rather not carry an overhand-specific disc, but I'm starting to wonder if I should.

I throw a ton of overhand. High shots, distance, low shots to skip through a tunnel w/ a shallow ceiling. Sometimes a Thumber, Or tomahawk will roll away, sometimes it skips, sometimes it sticks. It has less to do w/ the type of disc than it does the throw and how you get it to turn over, mostly what area of the disc is making contact w/ the ground when it lands.

If anything I would imagine the gripiness of vibram would cause discs to stick, more than roll or move from landing than a z/champ plastic.

If you want a good disc for thumbers or OH get a super flat, 175g Flick, or Firebird. Z/Champ Plastic. A flat champ boss, or even my star tee-rex works well for OH throws. they just don't have the distance.

Vibram is not the answer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, but for what I need out of OH shots, any disc will do....I could (and have) thumb a Leopard and it'll accomplish what I want out of those shots. I was just curious if anyone who has thrown thumbers with something like a medium Trak or Ascent has seen the same bounces/rolls that I have.

P.S. - Brodysseus, I know you read this thread....would you please respond to my PMs? I got the Summit from you fine, but now it seems like you're ducking me about the Ridge I paid you for. I'm just asking what's going on with it.

Last edited:
Wish my shoulder could handle the thumber.

Second. Always ends bad for me...both the trajectory and the soreness. My buddy can pick a spot on the course and the damn disc hits it just about every time, it amazes me.

I throw a lot of overhead shots. I used to use my Ascent from time to time for the shorter shots but it just isn't the same. Mine tend to stick more than my other molds or roll the way I am least expecting them to roll. I also threw some overhead shots with a Trak at the Vibram Birdie Bash last year and brand new, it works. Ultimately I still prefer my other molds for overhead shots. I am waiting for all the super overstable molds to come out from Vibram, then I will likely switch over.

Had a great weekend this last weekend throwing a lot of Vibram. Shot my first 1000+ rated round, mostly because my Summit could not miss. It just wanted to go into the chains. Love it. And of course, won advanced! Thanks Vibram!

Latest posts