• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Was that you bidding on the Super Firm Ridges last night Dana ?

The purple?
I believe a friend was bidding on my behalf.

It will look nice next to my pile of VO Super Firms.

Anyone have a VO Super Firm Sole? Thinking about trying em out for putting.

Steve mentioned something about VO olaces, were those something special that only people with the hookup had access to? The only reason I ask is my VO lace flies like a beefy destroyer.

On a side note, my main putting ridge has started to develop a sunken top and now is an insanely straight and long driving putter. Think I'm gonna retire it as a main putter so it keeps that nice flight as a driving putter. Only issue is picking out which ridge out of the stack to make the primary putter...first world problems.

I kept a broken in firm as a main putter, took some hot water and got the top flat again, it is so choice now. Retiring it for putting duties won't help or hurt the stability, the driving will turn it into a summit like disc eventually.

The purple?
I believe a friend was bidding on my behalf.

It will look nice next to my pile of VO Super Firms.

Anyone have a VO Super Firm Sole? Thinking about trying em out for putting.

Yep, I figured you would be all over the plum one.

Anyone have any idea why the UnLace is stil not available on the Inbounds online flight guide? Just curious.

Also, I know I've been cheating on my Vibrams with an all Innova bag, but my Vibrams are drawing me back in. I've played a couple rounds lately just carrying my favorite Vibrams (173F VP, 170M Ibex, 169M Ascent, 163M Proto UnLace) in my NutSac and have had a blast. And with the cold/wet weather rapidly approaching, I will want the superior grip of my Vibrams.

I have my last sanctioned tournament of the year on Saturday so I am going to stick my current loadout. But after, I am thinking I will probably make the switch back to Vibram. In fact, I am half-tempted to use my Vibram NutSac at the tournament, despite not really throwing my Vibrams for a couple of months. It would really put "it's the archer, not the arrow" to the test.

Anyone have any idea why the UnLace is stil not available on the Inbounds online flight guide? Just curious.

I'm pretty sure it was there last time I looked. I remember because I sorted them by distance, and it was in the top ten. It sure isn't there now though. Curious.

Just wanted to chime in with my $.02 on the unLace after taking it out for a round today for the first time.

My interest in this disc was first piqued by onemile's report that he was getting it out 25'+ farther than his other throws; results like that for a ~300' thrower are nothing to sneeze at. So I snagged it, curious to see if I would have the same results with it, and boy did I ever.

I regularly throw my fairways ~315' feet, maybe a bit more at times (I've been seeing an uptick recently as I've been cultivating more snap and starting to better feel the hit). I was getting the unLace out to 325'-350'+ easily, on long, booming turnovers. It was a beautiful thing. My home course's 425' par 3 went from being a challenging gauntlet to an easy par - after having parred it maybe once in my life, I got three consecutive 3s today, all thanks to drives that positioned me for an easy layup approach. This thing is going to open up so many lines and shot possibilities for me.

The first challenge I noticed to learning this disc for me was trusting how truly understable it is - it's more so than my Underworld (although the difference in speed between the two muddles things a bit). If I throw it flat at full power, it'll turn and burn every time (but into a beautiful roller: I rolled one out to well over 400' today, and part of that was uphill). Psychologically, I was having a hard time trusting the disc to turn over from a 30+ degree hyzer angle, but that's exactly what's required for me to make this thing soar.

Beyond that, it's just acclimating to seeing lines that far out: I've never before had to mentally envision the lines that I can put this disc on. In that sense, I actually see this disc as a great learning tool: it'll teach me to look for new, long distance lines and shapes. I'll assess longer open holes much differently than I have in the past.

Plus, the unLace's understability means that you get the good parts of throwing a distance driver (the extra distance) without the bad (OAT & other form issues). This thing will likely smooth out my form on higher release shots, which I don't presently throw too often.

Outside all of the above, it was just damn fun disc to throw. I got such a kick out of consistently throwing noticeably farther than I ever have before. It's just that simple.

I'm sure I'll have plenty more to say about this disc once I get more chances to work with it, learn its nuances, and explore its possibilities, but I just wanted to share my exuberant initial thoughts. Hats off to Mr. Steve Dodge and company for a winner!

Ack, double post!

I guess I'll just use this space to add that I love watching that multicolored rim rotate as it makes its way down that fairway....

well.

ridge and summit have secured their roles as my short driving ace run discs for good.

after the ace pot win with my summit on sunday, today i blew out the chains at oakwood with my medium ridge, hole 6. it juuuuuuust dropped off the back end of the basket but it tried so much harder to stay in than my opto pure.

i love the fact that i feel i can do ace runs now without worrying about how far i'm going to blow by the basket. the disc is either going to stick inside the basket or it's going to land very near the basket. end of story. really works well for me.

also for some reason i find that i like the feel of firm summits since they're nice and shallow . . . you get a good feel for angle and control on hyzerflipping and soft approaches. however, medium ridges are more my cup of tea. firm ridges i do not like.

random thought of the day.

Help a noob out. According to the chart above I can throw an unLace with less speed (and power?) than a Ibex and get the more distance etc. out of it? I think I am missing something.

You are not missing anything. The unLace will fly farther with less effort than the Ibex. Previous replies nailed it. The Ibex is a more versatile disc designed for shorter shots and is more forgiving. The unLace will give players with slower arm speed amazing distance, even at slower launch speeds.

Question for the group:
What are the tiny markings on the underside of some Vibrams?

Number 1: I assume this means first run?
Star: ?
Square: ?

Anyone see any markings besides the three above?

As previously stated, these marking identify which molds are being used in case there are ever any production issues.

Full color printed Vibram discs.

Couple questions to anyone that has thrown color printed Vibram discs;
Does the color printing fade or scratch off?
How slick does it make the rubber for grip?
Have you noticed same molds more over or under stable with the print?

In a nutshell, I'm wanting to order custom discs but for the wrong reason.

The main reason for picking them up will be for rubber consistency.
I currently have 2 2011 firm ridges, 1 2011 super firm, 2 2012 firm, 3 2013 firms. The more I throw them, the more I can tell the difference between the grip, firmness and release. Especially when practicing in my backyard. (8 discs thrown 5 times each, not including my summits.)

I'm "hoping" with the order of 10+ of a mold, they will be produced in the "same batch" and be so similar that I won't be able to tell the difference between them.

Am I silly for wanting this?

Need your input.
-Triz

da1fba06-00bc-457b-9a68-f0ab6fa03130.jpg

New custom discs I got for the brewery I work for. :clap:

I think everyone wants to know if you're highering. Discs AND beer? Wow :hfive:

Very nice artwork. That would look nice on any disc.

Although "highering" does seem appropriate, when I am hiring, I usually consider quality of grammar and spelling when reviewing qualifications. :p

I am very fortunate to get to have a job that I am passionate about, and occasionally get to tie that in with disc golf. We sponsored the Vibram Open this year, and will again next and we are also going to be doing some events with Steve Dodge and the folks at Maple Hill.

And my office wall is where my hanger discs reside. :D

I would love to see the bottles that fit under caps that size!

Tough to drink from though! ;)

Brody- You should def. check out a heavy FObex. Let us know if you see a difference in stability.

Finally picked up a 178 Firm Obex with some funny money at a local c-tier today. I'm excited to put it through the paces and see if the firm really does have that little extra overstability (over the medium) that I am hoping for. Also, now that I'm done with the tournaments for year, I'm excited to set the bag I've been rolling with to the side and get back to my Vibrams!

Latest posts