• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

100ft from the basket. What do you do?

What do you do when you're 100ft from the basket?

• Throw a putter straight at it to lay up

Votes: 106 32.9%
  • Throw a midrange straight at it to lay up

Votes: 27 8.4%
  • Go for it with your putter

Votes: 119 37.0%
  • Go for it with your midrange

Votes: 27 8.4%
  • Go for it hard with a driver

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Take a big hyzer line with your putter

Votes: 40 12.4%

• Total voters
I do the Ken Climo approach technique which is deadly accurate at that distance. There's a video on youtube of me making one of these but I can't post a link due to workblock. You stand at 90 degrees to the basket. Aim with your right shoulder. The key is to keep your wrist slightly higher than your elbow which puts a tiny bit of anhyzer on your throw. Aim straight at the heart of the chains. Don't try to accelerate or follow through but focus on being real smooth and really aiming the disc. The tiny amount of anhyzer compensates for the natural fade of the disc.

Where is the option "pick it up b/c it's a gimmie?"

;) :rolleyes:

I do the Ken Climo approach technique which is deadly accurate at that distance. There's a video on youtube of me making one of these but I can't post a link due to workblock. You stand at 90 degrees to the basket. Aim with your right shoulder. The key is to keep your wrist slightly higher than your elbow which puts a tiny bit of anhyzer on your throw. Aim straight at the heart of the chains. Don't try to accelerate or follow through but focus on being real smooth and really aiming the disc. The tiny amount of anhyzer compensates for the natural fade of the disc.

i didnt see this as an option above.

simple...
"Always 'try' to make the shot, but be smart and consider what happens if you miss." - In this range i might consider a Rhyno, Buzzz or my regular putter.

- You cant ace (or put it in the basket) if you cant throw the disc farther than the basket.
- Even if i am going to take a "3" i want to hit the cage and make my shots dramatic. I want everyone to take a deep breath, get wide eyed, and think (atleast for a second) that my shot will go in. * you seem better than you really are. <smile>

A lot of it depends on what the terrain is behind the basket, but usually I throw an anny-stall shot (slight anhyzer nose-up release) with a Rhyno. If it doesn't go in, it's usually sitting right under the bucket.

100 feet out is a range where my jump putt (push putt) gets iffy because I'm trying so hard to put extra mustard on it. I can throw it accidentally high and have it hyzer out to nearly 30 feet to the left or I can accidentally nose down it and end up way short. I find I have just as much chance throwing an approach to hit chains as I do a jump putt, so prefer the approach as I'll always be closer if I miss.

I usually throw a putter inside 180 feet or so. For me, the most consistent line is a slight RHBH hyzer with a Wizard, landing right of the basket and sliding in. Wooded courses dictate the shot more times than not, though, so I often RHFH a Wizard or toss a Magic if there is a straight gap to hit.

I will go for it when safe (uphill slope behind basket, etc.), when playing doubles, or if my approaches and putting are particularly "on" that day. Jump putting has been on the fritz lately, so I'll probably toss a nose-up stall or a soft flex shot.

I throw what I call the lay-up putt. Put a bit of air under it with the nose up so that it will fade right at the basket. If it goes in, cool. If not, I have a drop in left. If there is any wind, this shot gets dangerous, so I will probably just put it under the basket and move on to the next hole.

I used to jump putt these, but lately ive been throwing a putter with some nose up from a standstill. Its a fun shot to throw and gives it a chance without going too far past, and much easier to pull off in a headwind than a jumper.

I have a 180g star Mako that is pretty good for these shots - flys straight and lands flat. I also like the Dart in this situation.

pending on the green, ill either throw it in with an aviar, or i might jump putt it in. there could be plenty of obstacles from 100ft out that may cause me to break out a firebird and throw a trick shot of sorts

It depends on the lay of the land for me. If I won't get in big trouble going past the goal, I like to go at it with a slight anhyzer. Otherwise I play it a little safer with a straight shot that I want to fade when it gets to the goal. I have only just started using the anhyzer putt this year and I really like it from about 80 to 120 feet. I didn't know exactly what to vote from the selection, but I am going with 'go for it with a putter'.

As long as there's nothing bad behind the basket, I'll go for it. I'll have something 20 feet or less if I miss, so why not? If I don't want to be behind the basket for some reason (i.e. creek), I'll lay up.

That's about right at my cut off for choosing either and Open handed putt, or a gentle backhand midrange toss.

This is a perfect roc situation for me. I just have gotten really comfortable using it and other midranges for shots like this, it'd be hard to imagine making this shot with a putter.

Open: Star Gator
Wooded: Ion

The Ion I know I can but it right by the basket. The Gator I feel just as confident but with a better chance of it going in.

Latest posts