• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

15 times champion

I'm not saying eliminate FPO, I'm saying give the old men and women of the Masters division their due.
No one has ever called Diana Taurasi or Lisa Leslie the greatest basketball player alive. FPO and MPM are what they are: protected. They are world champions, with an exception. It isn't age discrimination it isn't gender discrimination. In reality: they are women's world championships and masters world championships... and in the company of people that know what the specifics are they are referred to, for brevity, as "World Championships."

No one thinks that Val is a 4x best player in the world, just like no one thinks Cheryl Miller was the most skilled basketball player of her generation, just like no one thinks Climo is the best in the world at the moment if he tacks on another Masters World Championship.

No one has ever called Diana Taurasi or Lisa Leslie the greatest basketball player alive. FPO and MPM are what they are: protected. They are world champions, with an exception. It isn't age discrimination it isn't gender discrimination. In reality: they are women's world championships and masters world championships... and in the company of people that know what the specifics are they are referred to, for brevity, as "World Championships."

No one thinks that Val is a 4x best player in the world, just like no one thinks Cheryl Miller was the most skilled basketball player of her generation, just like no one thinks Climo is the best in the world at the moment if he tacks on another Masters World Championship.

Just like Climo or Jordan will never be the greatest breastfeeders of all time. So let's downgrade their parenting.

Every other sport thinks it makes sense to separate men and women due to inherent physiological differences. But maybe everyone else is wrong and you are right. Weirder things have happened, I guess.

Auto racing, equestrian sports, mixed doubles tennis...American Ninja Warrior:D

Just calling Climo "The Champ" is good enough for me.

*thrembo: 0 world championships.

BUT... and this is a big BUT... there were only 11,000 PDGA members at that time. we are now on the cusp of 100,000. 10x as many people are playing competitively now. More people means a larger skill pool.
There's a bigger pool now, but I wouldn't say 10x as many. Probably more than half of those 100,000 PDGA numbers, including my own, are not current.

I ran Cross Country for 25 years. In my mid 20s I ran a race in New England where the top American Female runner showed up. At two miles I was in third and she was way back. Felt awesome. At four miles I was in fifth and running smooth. I was beating entire college teams. That's when she blew by me like I was standing still. I came in fifth, she won.

I'm quite happy to call out top females world champions. I even watch the videos of them playing. That Paige Pierce rocks.

Among other things, being old, I have the benefit of knowing that I once had my opportunity to be young.

And I see now that our fault is having never given the female players a chance to be male players---to have the same bone and muscle structure, hormones, and the rest, to compete for the One World Championship. Which is a shame, because if we had, then after time reverted them back to female, we could relegate FPOs to being lesser championships. After all, they would have had their opportunity to compete at the highest human level.

are you inferring that because there were 10 rounds to play that it took much more skill to stay on top for 10 rounds? i agree, but only partially. yes, it does take a lot of skill to do that... BUT... and this is a big BUT... there were only 11,000 PDGA members at that time. we are now on the cusp of 100,000. 10x as many people are playing competitively now. More people means a larger skill pool. If anything, winning a world's now is much more impressive as there is more and better competition. okay, so you won your city's billiards tournament... think you can still be #1 if it becomes a billiards tournament for the entire state?

I'm not saying today's player's are better or worse. I'm inferring that when the worlds was a 10 round tournament it happened only once a year. A four round tournament like this years worlds is played almost every other week only the name of the tournament is different. Climo showed up for 10 rounds each year to prove who was king dick.

Now that's impressive.

I love how people think that Climo had it easy or had no competition. Horse huckey. If anything his accomplishments should be held in higher regard. He won in an era where Cyclone type discs were considered long range drivers.

I love how people think that Climo had it easy or had no competition. Horse huckey. If anything his accomplishments should be held in higher regard. He won in an era where Cyclone type discs were considered long range drivers.

Well, those are the discs everybody used so I don't see the relation. His accomplishments are held in higher regard because of the longevity.

My son is reading a book entitled Baby Boomers, letting psychopaths run the world. I get beaten up a dinner every night. Sigh.

Boomers bought their kids books when they were small. This is where that sort of thing leads.

Latest posts