• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2012 Ace Race?

jubuttib said:
money 21 said:
supposed to be between a stalker and a buzz.
That's not a big gap, stability or distance wise.
Discrafts statement not mine.

I have a friendwho is running an ace race in another state who has thrown them his statement was about the same stablity as a buzz ss. a little slower then a stalker but seem to have better glide so he felt its was a little longer then a stalker. From his description to me it sounds alot like a storm, he said glide os.

played the ace race to day had a good time but am having a hard time with a description of the disc, a hornet ss maybe. thrown flat the disc will turn and come back late. power down and you cane throw it very straight with a late hard but forward penitrating fade with a lot of glide. the disc is domey and the clear z plastic is gummy. it is the same speed as the hornet. on joes chart 4 distance -2 HSS 2.5 LSS 2 pwr.

went out and threw it next 2 a couple proline squalls, very similar flight the squall stands up a little quicker and has less fade. the hss is about the same for most of the flight. i the it would better bediscribed as between the comet and cyclone.

JHern said:
money 21 said:
JHern said:
money 21 said:
any guesses? Just for fun and a shot in the dark the hole i see in the discraft line up would be between the preditor and the hornet. a stalker os :D

They have one of these, it's called the Cyclone, and it's the best-selling disc of all time.

Speaking of which, we should start a movement to have them run the X-Clone again, in rigid ESP plastic.
the x-clone was great and would fit the bill. the regular cyclone is nowhere near overstable as i am thinking of.

Then you probably haven't tried the flat ESP Cyclones...much faster and over-stable than the old variety.
Those may be the worst Cyclones ever produced.

Jesse B 707 said:
JHern said:
money 21 said:
JHern said:
money 21 said:
any guesses? Just for fun and a shot in the dark the hole i see in the discraft line up would be between the preditor and the hornet. a stalker os :D

They have one of these, it's called the Cyclone, and it's the best-selling disc of all time.

Speaking of which, we should start a movement to have them run the X-Clone again, in rigid ESP plastic.
the x-clone was great and would fit the bill. the regular cyclone is nowhere near overstable as i am thinking of.

Then you probably haven't tried the flat ESP Cyclones...much faster and over-stable than the old variety.
Those may be the worst Cyclones ever produced.
tried a flat clone the other day it was ok fh but hated it bh.

I threw one of the Ace Race protos today. Reminds me of a bastard child of a Buzzz and Stalker. Great idea for an Ace Race, not sure about production. RHBH in a decent wind from the right, it was going further on hyzers than a Buzzz, but anny and straight shots they were neck and neck. It really could be great for some players, but it won't be going in my bag. I do like that it came out in Z plastic, and I hope it is well received.
KP

really liking this disc. it helps with form because you don't want to musle it and it doesn't fly well at all if your release is not clean. How ever if you get a smooth clean release this disc is amazing flies the line you tell it to and has just sick glide.

Did the yearly ace race today and really like the disc, might put it in my bag at least for now to compliment my mids.

Indeed, a pretty excellent disc. Easy to throw, can handle power, glides really well and can go quite far, nice stability, just overall a great disc. Can't really think of anything I really dislike about it.

BIF13 said:
I think it flies like a more stable XL, just me though.
interesting... thought it was more like a less stable XL. Mine turns pretty easy, I guess sort of like an XL after some use but most new XLs I've thrown don't turn as easy as this. Not a horrible disc though... I've been comparing it's flight to my used dx eagle.

money 21 said:
played the ace race to day had a good time but am having a hard time with a description of the disc, a hornet ss maybe. thrown flat the disc will turn and come back late. power down and you cane throw it very straight with a late hard but forward penitrating fade with a lot of glide.
money 21 said:
really liking this disc. it helps with form because you don't want to musle it and it doesn't fly well at all if your release is not clean. How ever if you get a smooth clean release this disc is amazing flies the line you tell it to and has just sick glide.
I agree with both of these.

I attended an Ace Race yesterday. The problem with the Ace Race that I attended was that it previously stuck to holes that were 180-220' long or whatever the guidelines state, but we played every hole between 100 and 180' or so. I threw pretty well all day but many of the players found it difficult to deliver a clean line while underpowering the disc enough.

I had a heck of a time (admittedly my form likely still sucks, but I didn't have a lot of wobble and mostly hit my lines within a reasonable margin) getting the disc to do anything but gently turn. I missed 95% of my throws just to the right and couldn't quite adjust my lines to start it left enough, particularly seeing how the discs reacted in the hands of people who were (stupidly, IMO) throwing them up on big hyzer lines through the trees. The five aces hit at my Race (two aces, one metal for the two who tied for first) were all similar to my throws - straight, little curve, and right at them with low height.

The downhill holes (we had two sharp downhill holes) were particularly difficult with this disc. The longer one topped out at about 140' and the shorter one was probably not even quite 100'.

The disc seems like a good mid or approach, or a good driver for shorter holes that put a good demand on accuracy or have a tunnel, but the holes we played (nine holes, played four times) didn't seem to suit the disc at my Ace Race, and that was mildly disappointing.

I was surprised at how well this thing handled power, I was able to push it out to 350' with hardly any turn, just a nice straight flight. I wasn't getting it to turn at all at distances ~200 but this is probably because I'm at 5000 ft altitude. I don't think this is going to be able to stick in my bag, it's too close to my axis and stalker. There already is not a huge gap there.

money 21 said:
just held it side by side with a squall and can't tell the difference.

Yep, I was just working with one of these, and I can also testify that it looks, feels, and flies like a Squall (note that Discraft molds the Squall for DGA). If there is a difference, I couldn't see it. Any differences in flight fell within the usual variation in flights from one plastic to another plastic for the same mold. As Discraft said, the Squall is a tad longer than a Buzzz because it will turn over a tick more and hold its angle through the glidey portion of the flight a bit longer, and is a tad slower than a Stalker. The Squall is better than either the Buzzz or Stalker for working various lines, it really shines in the hyzer-flip and turnover categories. Like the Buzzz, the Squall rim is very nice for gripping.

Note that I absolutely love the Squall, especially the SP (sparkle) Squall. But I'm not sure I understand why Discraft would begin marketing the same disc in their own line-up. I'll ask around and see what's up with that.

JHern said:
money 21 said:
just held it side by side with a squall and can't tell the difference.

Yep, I was just working with one of these, and I can also testify that it looks, feels, and flies like a Squall (note that Discraft molds the Squall for DGA). If there is a difference, I couldn't see it. Any differences in flight fell within the usual variation in flights from one plastic to another plastic for the same mold. As Discraft said, the Squall is a tad longer than a Buzzz because it will turn over a tick more and hold its angle through the glidey portion of the flight a bit longer, and is a tad slower than a Stalker. The Squall is better than either the Buzzz or Stalker for working various lines, it really shines in the hyzer-flip and turnover categories. Like the Buzzz, the Squall rim is very nice for gripping.

Note that I absolutely love the Squall, especially the SP (sparkle) Squall. But I'm not sure I understand why Discraft would begin marketing the same disc in their own line-up. I'll ask around and see what's up with that.
as a big squall fan myself i agree almost all of what you said but IMO the ar12 has a bit more glide and is getting out about 10'-15' farther for me. the ar12 seems to have more dome so i bet they did just a little tweak like a nose spacer. Eveything else you stated i agree with. The squall is one of the most over looked disc on the market. picked up a couple new proline squalls the other day and the feel and look like the old opague z plastic that the storms came in as well as the first run flick. they have a touch more HSS and hold lines great.

Side note after the 2010 and 2012 ace races locally the used bins around the area were flooded with discs. this year i have yet to see one.