• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2012 Discraft Ace Race Disc

complain complain complain... yet i still see thread after thread on the Tbird, TL, Eagle and Leopard. then you throw in the banshee which is massively overlooked and the FD which is getting rave reviews and that's a hell of a lineup.

most people can't even name more than couple DC fairways, and all of the mold changing bs is going on in the distance category, not really with the fairways with the exception of the + rim ****.
Discraft already had a good fairway driver line-up. A bunch of those discs (Cyclone 2, X2, Xtra) are OOP because they didn't sell. Others like the XL, XS and Xpress are completely overlooked. I'm not sure how you can convince a company they need a TeeBird copy when they already had arguably the best TeeBird-equivalent disc (X2) that didn't sell.

Keep in mind that to Discraft, the Ace Race is not about generating as many aces as possible. It's about introducing a new prototype that may go into regular production. It's a publicity stunt that generates buzz and gets people talking about a new disc. So whatever the disc is this year, it will certainly try to address a gap in their lineup.

The biggest weakness right now is in the fairway drivers. The Stalker just doesn't stand up to the leo, river, etc. So I expect to see a stable (neutral), glidey fairway driver.

Who cares what the disc is, Ace Race is the shiznit more than Popeyes chicken! Like the hornet, wasn't a fan of the Zepplin, but had a blast. Run the chains baby! Hell they could give me a rubber chicken to throw and I would be happy!

Discraft's fairway drivers are fine discs but the single number stability rating, coupled with the confusing categorization as "Extra Long Range Drivers" doesn't sell them very well.

It's difficult to tell what the hell the difference is between an XL, XS, Cyclone, Stalker, or Tracker is by looking at that number. It's just a difference of 1.0-1.8 so like, how do you choose? There's no theme to Discraft's line up either. Innova has the animal names, Discmania has the ugly stamps, Latitude has pretty plastic, Discraft has a clunky line-up of good discs that are poorly marketed.

As for the ace race disc, there aren't a ton of gaps left in their line-up so it almost has to be something a little redundant.

Last edited:
Discraft's fairway drivers are fine discs but the single number stability rating, coupled with the confusing categorization as "Extra Long Range Drivers" doesn't sell them very well.

That's a good point. I bet Stalker sales would rise if they recategorize it as a "Control Driver."

Some kind of Firebird'ish super-over-stable-fairway-driver-utility-disc would be awesome! The courses could all be set up for 150 to 250 skip shots. Nothing cooler than a skip ace started way out right as you watch it track the basket and hop up and in!!!

I think its going to be a short midrange (like a zone or something). I've heard that for the two discs you'll be getting for the ace race, one will be esp and one in pro-d.

I'm expecting something safe for Discraft. Three of the past four years have been...not so impressive. The Nebula never made it to production (though I know it has its fans), the Focus is the shining point of the last four years, the Hornet is a great midrange but a terrible Ace Race disc (I remember everyone at my tournament getting frustrated because all they could do was hyzer it at the basket. None of them were far enough to really get some power on them.) and the Zeppelin had a pretty lukewarm reception.

If I had to wager, my money would be on an understable (slightly faster) midrange capable of shaping some fun lines at lower speeds. Being the 10th Anniversary, they're going to want to put something out that people will enjoy throwing. If I were to make a slightly riskier wager, I'd be thinking along the same lines as a Warship/Fuse type midrange. The second those discs draw a comparison to a Discraft Ace Race disc, the trendy euro-flavor will take over and people will be even more interested to try it out.

I thought the Zeppelin was an awesome Ace Race choice...
but I'm biased... I love that disc...

I think they should make a superclass disc...
just sayin'...

I've said for a couple years now that a superclass disc would be fun, though I had a great time with the zeppelin and it's lid like flight.

yeah i'm not sure why everybody was bitching/continues to bitch about the zeppelin... it was a great ace race disc and not a bad disc in itself. i'd like to see an understable mid.

Who cares what the disc is, Ace Race is the shiznit more than Popeyes chicken! Like the hornet, wasn't a fan of the Zepplin, but had a blast. Run the chains baby! Hell they could give me a rubber chicken to throw and I would be happy!

My disc company (That I'm just now hypothetically making up) is working on getting rubber chickens PDGA approved...