• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2012 Discraft Ace Race Disc

The reason why the guy complained is because the td broke the rules about payout.

I completely understand why he complained but I just wouldn't have done it.
Even though the TD was wrong in splitting the Grand Prize, it's not enough to vilify him over, which is what happened when discraft raked him over the coals. The winner received a nice haul of plastic, bags and swag. As I said, I would never have split them up but it was done with good intentions. It's not like he kept the 8 discs for himself. Sounds like he ran a pretty nice ace race with that one exception and now he is probably fuming over the butt whipping he got from discraft to the point maybe he's not gonna do this again. I ask again, who won here by the guy crying to Discraft? Hopefully the TD runs the Ace Race again next year and learned a valuable lesson from this.

I run the Detroit Area Ace Race and this is what we do with profits:

---------------------------------------------------------------

(St. Clair Shores, Sat. Oct. 20th)

Bonus Prizes for OUR Brys Ace Race Only:

25 brand new discs (Z and ESP plastic) will be given away as bonus prizes, in addition to the grand prize for the winner (A bag and 8 new discs for most aces, metal hits to break a tie.)

Like last year, for bonus prizes: 20 will be given one at a time for randomly drawn holes afterwards. Whoever got the best score (ace or metal) on that hole wins the disc of their choice, like a draft. A closest to the pin contest will break ties.

The grand prize winner will not be eligible to win any bonus discs.
(he or she already won 8 in the grand prize!!)

The other 5 discs left over will be randomly given out to the loser's pool (those with no aces or metal hits will turn their cards in)

That way, everyone gets a chance to win something!!

---------------------------------------------------------

Better turnouts each year will help us give out more prizes. Last year, we only had 10 "bonus discs" and 66 people. I'm hoping for 100 this year, so 25 bonus discs will be given out. As the event grows, so will the prizes.

Last edited:
I run the Detroit Area Ace Race and this is what I do with profits:

---------------------------------------------------------------

(St. Clair Shores, Sat. Oct. 20th)

Bonus Prizes for OUR Brys Ace Race Only:

25 brand new discs (Z and ESP plastic) will be given away as bonus prizes, in addition to the grand prize for the winner (A bag and 8 new discs for most aces, metal hits to break a tie.)

Like last year, for bonus prizes: 20 will be given one at a time for randomly drawn holes afterwards. Whoever got the best score (ace or metal) on that hole wins the disc of their choice, like a draft. A closest to the pin contest will break ties.

The grand prize winner will not be eligible to win any bonus discs.
(he or she already won 8 in the grand prize!!)

The other 5 discs left over will be randomly given out to the loser's pool (those with no aces or metal hits will turn their cards in)

That way, everyone gets a chance to win something!!

Well done Sir.

What do you other Ace Race TD's think of allowing players to throw both discs per hole both rounds? Is there a downside to this?

The only downside I've heard is that some like to keep one disc pristine as a wall hanger. Otherwise, I've been a big fan of using both discs.

One disc per hole keeps a player from zeroing in on the second disc shot. I think two discs per hole favors the more skilled player. I like the new players having a chance to get lucky when everyone is just getting the one disc per hole. A skilled player should have an advantage either way.

Any player can make adjustments, and it's definitely a more fun event with more aces in my opinion.

What do you other Ace Race TD's think of allowing players to throw both discs per hole both rounds? Is there a downside to this?

We had a total of 26 baskets, so we did not have time to play two rounds because the course itself was too large. We had side games, lunch, awards, and whatnot that would have made for a really long afternoon if we had played two rounds. There were several groups there who play sparingly and are not used to a tournament atmosphere. We would have definitely lost them if they believed they would be there for over five hours.

We had every person throw both of their discs on every hole, making for a total of 52 shots. I personally would have liked to have done more, but with everything we did, the tournament ended up being four hours long. That ended up being a perfect time. Players who WANTED to keep a proto pristine were not allowed to play a second round, nor were they allowed to run up and grab their first disc so they could throw that again. If they decided not to throw their second disc because they wanted it fresh (either for keepsake or because they intended to sell it later), they forfeited their second shot and had to settle for 26 shots instead of 52. We did not have a single player who did this, and I congratulate all of our players coming out with the spirit of playing and not being a collector.

Since we were hosted by our amateur league, we still had more portable baskets to spare. Maybe next year we will bump it up to 30 baskets since we still had a little land to play with. Plus, we used the same layout for two years in a row; we are due for a little course shakeup. With it then being our third year running it, with the returning players knowing what to expect we can definitely make it a bigger atmosphere, but I still think pushing anything over five hours is going to scare people away.

I do hate to see someone get raked over the coals after spending their own time and even some of their own money to put on the event for many people. However, this is a Discraft sponsored event and they specifically tell everyone on their website the rules, player packs and prizes. In a way the TD's are representing Discraft locally, so they should honor that relationship by following the prize guidelines.

This was my first Ace Race, and before signing up I checked the Discraft website to see what I was getting into. If something happened and my player pack was lacking things I had paid for and expected, I would be upset. Likewise, if I won this local event and found out my bag and 8 discs were going to be split up among 7-8 other people I would not be happy. Whatever is advertised needs to be delivered and match up correctly, otherwise you risk having problems.

Vice versa, there was no mention of donuts, pizza, pop, water, gatorade, etc... in the ad. Our TD opted to do this on his own, which I greatly appreciate. However if none of this was provided, that would be okay to as it was never the expectation. I have no problems with some minor tweaking to hole guidelines, short holes, longer holes, throw 1 disc, throw 2 disc, play 18 holes, play 24 holes, whatever. But IMO, the player packs and winner pack should not be altered and Discraft has a right to be upset when they are.

Another downside is if a player loses a disc during the round. I have had Ace Races where players throw into the lake and were then down to only one disc.

This year was our first year to do two throws per hole and only 1 round. I liked it better. Faster, less walking, and you get to zero in on the disc better.

I do hate to see someone get raked over the coals after spending their own time and even some of their own money to put on the event for many people. However, this is a Discraft sponsored event and they specifically tell everyone on their website the rules, player packs and prizes. In a way the TD's are representing Discraft locally, so they should honor that relationship by following the prize guidelines.

This was my first Ace Race, and before signing up I checked the Discraft website to see what I was getting into. If something happened and my player pack was lacking things I had paid for and expected, I would be upset. Likewise, if I won this local event and found out my bag and 8 discs were going to be split up among 7-8 other people I would not be happy. Whatever is advertised needs to be delivered and match up correctly, otherwise you risk having problems.

Vice versa, there was no mention of donuts, pizza, pop, water, gatorade, etc... in the ad. Our TD opted to do this on his own, which I greatly appreciate. However if none of this was provided, that would be okay to as it was never the expectation. I have no problems with some minor tweaking to hole guidelines, short holes, longer holes, throw 1 disc, throw 2 disc, play 18 holes, play 24 holes, whatever. But IMO, the player packs and winner pack should not be altered and Discraft has a right to be upset when they are.

Understood. Just a thought; What if the TD had announced it beforehand, do you think the winner would have agreed or asked for a refund and not played? Just a hypothetical since I have no idea if it was announced. I do think that the prizes and players packs should be on a different level than the playing order/layout (i.e. throwing both discs, one round vs two, different point values, etc.), and therefore shouldn't be changed. I just don't think it was something I would have went to Discraft over and possibly alienated this TD and caused a possible loss of an Ace Race down the road.

Another downside is if a player loses a disc during the round. I have had Ace Races where players throw into the lake and were then down to only one disc.

This year was our first year to do two throws per hole and only 1 round. I liked it better. Faster, less walking, and you get to zero in on the disc better.

Agreed. We don't have water in play on our holes so I hadn't thought about that. I still think that both throws and two 18 hole rounds would be a major incentive. I'd travel a bit farther for that type of layout.

The TD was off his rocker. First place gets all discs and the bag. All TD's follow this rule. Thats great he bought pizzas. What does this have to do with winning the ace race. What a jack ass. The ace race I played in the TD had a handful of extra discs to give away. Thanks Scott. It was a great ace race.

The TD was off his rocker. First place gets all discs and the bag. All TD's follow this rule.

Apparently not.

I think this can/should go 1 of 2 ways:
Discraft cracks down and enforces/clarifies all current rules about format and all phases of the event
or
Discraft makes some rules (enforced), then some guidelines about how an event should be run

Right now a lot of the rules/guidelines are routinely broken (people playing different # of holes, different # of throws, different prizes) while other rules are followed - ticking off some people involved (also known as 'the whiners')

Communication would go a long way from both Discraft and the TDs

Understood. Just a thought; What if the TD had announced it beforehand, do you think the winner would have agreed or asked for a refund and not played? Just a hypothetical since I have no idea if it was announced. I do think that the prizes and players packs should be on a different level than the playing order/layout (i.e. throwing both discs, one round vs two, different point values, etc.), and therefore shouldn't be changed. I just don't think it was something I would have went to Discraft over and possibly alienated this TD and caused a possible loss of an Ace Race down the road.

Likewise, I have no idea how this was handled at all, so I simply have my opinion on how I would feel personally. Not to mention this was my 1st Ace Race and winning never crossed my mind. :D

With that said, I still dont think I would be happy if this was announced the day of the event. I would want to know at the time of registration or pre-registration so I could decide if I want to play by those rules before driving (possibly) many miles to the tournament. During my pre-registration nothing was ever mentioned besides the 24 holes (vs 18). So I had to rely on the Discraft site telling me what was in the Player packs and what the winner would receive (1 bag, 8 discs). With that said, I would have talked to the TD personally and expressed my disappointment face to face. Not take my frustration to Discraft and cause a scene.

And I agree on better communication from Discraft to TD's on which are rock solid rules (ie: player packs, Winner's prize) and which ones are more or less guidelines (ie: # of holes, # of throws per hole, length of tees, etc..). IMO, I thought it was pretty clear on what the winners would receive.

It seems that a lot of TD's set up their ace races in different ways and I really like that. I absolutely love the idea that some guys get to throw BOTH discs per hole. That leads to more aces/metal hits and more fun all around. As far as the TD in Hickory, I'm not crazy about the grand prize being split up but I mean come on, the winner paid $25. He received two Z plastic ace race discs, sweet water bottle, cheesy glasses, stickers, a new bag and a sweet super color disc. The td may or may not have even been able to play in HIS OWN TOURNEY. He spent days out there marking and moving baskets etc. Probably with very little help. He bought pizza? Man! and I would be willing to bet a dollar to a donut that if you saw the expenses he had vs the very small amount of $$$ left over after buying the packs that he lost money. And he gets to be chewed out by Discraft because the winner wanted more? I will say I wouldn't have split the discs up but tried to find other ways to have 2nd, 3rd and 4th place win something. But you gotta look at the big picture, he did a lot of good last weekend for the sport and ended up getting ripped a new one. What if he says "screw it, i'm never doing this again?" who wins then?.......................jb

So basically you are saying it is fine to advertise $5000 for first place in Open but only pay $2500 because the TD did a lot of work? If you advertise something......which this was....you need to stick to it.

I played a tournament with a Guaranteed payout of 10k............not even close.......and everyone was pissed.

To bad for all the people looking info on the "2012 discraft ace race disc"
Page after page of off topic nonsense...

Played a course that I play 1x per week with only my AR12 and a putter, ended up +2 over my best round (which is a not very good -1 course par). IMO this disc sits between my river and buzzz, both in how straight it flies and how long it travels.

And I agree on better communication from Discraft to TD's on which are rock solid rules (ie: player packs, Winner's prize) and which ones are more or less guidelines (ie: # of holes, # of throws per hole, length of tees, etc..). IMO, I thought it was pretty clear on what the winners would receive.

Agreed.

/threadjack

So how are people liking the discs? What seems to be a good distance for tees?

To bad for all the people looking info on the "2012 discraft ace race disc"
Page after page of off topic

but if someone were to start another thread about these other ace race topics, you would be the same guy crying there are to many ace race threads...

but if someone were to start another thread about these other ace race topics, you would be the same guy crying there are to many ace race threads...

Nope... Wrong guy.
I hate reading 75 page threads looking for info just like I hate reading forum fanboys comment on everything.

(post 11 in 11 months)

Last edited: