• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Discraft Ace Race

I agree, I hit a perfect spike hyzer almost ace, lol, on hole 4 out there which spit out of the chains. I think it would have stuck at any other course. How did you like the homemade baskets out there?

I thought I would be a fan of the shorter holes, but came closer on the longer ones with this disc.

Am I mistaken, or did Discraft change the hole layout description? I could have sworn it originally said holes would be between 50-250 ft. And now says between 180-250 ft.

As homemade baskets go, they're not too bad. What it came down to was the Hill College welding peeps making the baskets without a lot of input from the disc golf people. So they had a number of flaws that never got weeded out, and since it was a class thing with a lot of students making them consistency was not very good. I can't really blame the welding guys because they didn't have a lot of input from anyone and just kinda made it up as they went along.

For the course at the Hillsboro campus a lot more care was taken to get them right. All 18 look nearly identical. Those look a lot like the instep baskets with a second set of chains, as well as a bit heavier metal on them. They really catch nice there. I wish that something could be done at Cleburne to help those baskets out.

Someone from our club suggested that people be given 2 throws during each round (throwing both of the discs in your players pack). Has anyone heard of that or done that? I don't think it would add substantially to the time of the event, and would increase the chance of people hitting aces and metal by virtue of doubling their opportunities and because people would likely make an adjustment on their second shot if taken immediately after the first (kind of like how when you miss a putt and then throw another disc from the same spot, it always goes in, even if throwing your driver :))

I wouldn't be opposed to that. It would increase the number of aces, which is important for having competition. It would also take less time to run it, as you're only walking around the course once. I know some TD's run other events after the ace race, it would definitely help on that count.

It does bring up a problem if someone loses a disc.

I tried to play a few short holes with this disc tonight and th results were so so at best. It is certainly over stable for me....

Not a fan, thus far.

I wouldn't be opposed to that. It would increase the number of aces, which is important for having competition. It would also take less time to run it, as you're only walking around the course once. I know some TD's run other events after the ace race, it would definitely help on that count.

It does bring up a problem if someone loses a disc.

One TD bought a couple packs himself, and loaned those out to players if they did lose one, certainly not something I would expect from any TD but it was a nice touch.

As homemade baskets go, they're not too bad. What it came down to was the Hill College welding peeps making the baskets without a lot of input from the disc golf people. So they had a number of flaws that never got weeded out, and since it was a class thing with a lot of students making them consistency was not very good. I can't really blame the welding guys because they didn't have a lot of input from anyone and just kinda made it up as they went along.

For the course at the Hillsboro campus a lot more care was taken to get them right. All 18 look nearly identical. Those look a lot like the instep baskets with a second set of chains, as well as a bit heavier metal on them. They really catch nice there. I wish that something could be done at Cleburne to help those baskets out.

I wish I could have stuck around for the course tourney, I loved the layout.

Td question

Just came off of my ace race and will be running one in 6 weeks. As players do you prefer to follow a shorten course or have the td try to create a new course? I have thought about both and wanted to get players input.

Just came off of my ace race and will be running one in 6 weeks. As players do you prefer to follow a shorten course or have the td try to create a new course? I have thought about both and wanted to get players input.

Both - shorten up the tees on the permanent baskets, add extras in the middle, and add a loop of specially designed temps for the ace race. That's what we are doing.

Someone from our club suggested that people be given 2 throws during each round (throwing both of the discs in your players pack). Has anyone heard of that or done that? I don't think it would add substantially to the time of the event, and would increase the chance of people hitting aces and metal by virtue of doubling their opportunities and because people would likely make an adjustment on their second shot if taken immediately after the first (kind of like how when you miss a putt and then throw another disc from the same spot, it always goes in, even if throwing your driver :))

Thanks for the input all. I'm leaning toward doing 2 rounds of being able to throw both of our discs on each hole. I think it will increase the chances of aces/metal hits, which I think increases the fun. My philosophy also is that Ace Races are casual events that are all about the fun factor.

I was thinking the same thing about some people wanting to keep one disc new and unused so as to sell later so they may not like the idea of throwing both discs per hole. I don't think there will be a lot of those folks though and I guess they can choose to throw only one disc per hole if they want :). Again, if more chances equals more fun and people enjoying the event more, that's worth a few folks grumbling about not being able to walk away with a new unused disc.

Recieved my set of 30 packs today, unfortunately I am disappointed with the colors and weights. I have 25 purple(all 164-166g) 25 green(173-176g) 5 red(174-176) and 5 blue(174-176). I wish I could have gotten some of the middle weights and why did they have to give me 25 grass colored discs in WV. Those will be the hardest discs to sell. I have put labels on the back for people to write there names on so those that don't like them can resell if they choose. The layout we have this year will be 70-100 ft holes with 1 throw for the first round and 125-200ft holes with 2 throws for the second round. Hopefully most of the people will enjoy it. The grand prize is to sweet and the discs seem to fly like the icon legacy rivals imo. Anyone else play in a tourney that had different rules for each round?

I think I'll be playing my first Ace Race at LTC Cleveland in October...can't wait!

Any tips for a first timer?

I think I'll be playing my first Ace Race at LTC Cleveland in October...can't wait!

Any tips for a first timer?

If you have the opportunity to toss the discs around a little bit before the AR starts... take advantage of the time. And since it's a new disc, not really intended for the probable length of the AR holes, don't be afraid to throw it "abnormally." Just do what it takes to get it close, even if you wouldn't throw it that way during a normal round! And most of all, enjoy it! I've played two and had a blast both times!

I have noticed a surprising low number of 2013 Ace Race discs for sale in the DGCR marketplace. I wonder if that is because a high percentage of people like the disc and are keeping it.

Played my AR yesterday. Had a blast. Didnt hit nothing but still fun. The baskets where set at 127 feet and there were only 3 aces for the day. After the AR I took the disc to my throwing fields aka soccer fields and let it loose. Love teh disc and get huge distance from it. Its not a good AR disc in my opinion but can see keeping one int eh bag for drives. I get a huge s turn from it without delay everytime it goes int he air. I heard people comparing the feel to a firebird. I dont own a firebird. It feels close to a teebird to me. A little wider rim and domier than my teebirds. I got a purpleish color high 160s and a green in the mid 170s. I like the purple better but may have to dye a orange strip or something on the green.

Planning on doing an AR in the next month. Can you register the day of the event, or is it pre-register only? How many player slots are generally reserved? I know the Birdie Bash only has 40 player slots open.

Also does discraft check or care if you play in more than one a year?

Can you register the day of the event, or is it pre-register only?

It's up to the TD. With mine, I typically require pre-reg and will only order a few (like 3 or 4) extra player packs. Some clubs will order a bunch and allow walk-ups, but I personally don't have that kind of budget.

How many player slots are generally reserved? I know the Birdie Bash only has 40 player slots open.

Again, up to the TD. Really depends on the budget and anticipated turnout, but I've never had more than 60 players while some events get upwards of 200.

Also does discraft check or care if you play in more than one a year?

As I discussed way earlier in this thread, I used to allow players who'd already played in one to enter my event with their used Ace Race discs for like $10...but, this year Discraft reworded the rule so that EVERY player who competes for the official grand prize has both paid $25 AND uses the new discs. HOWEVER, you can still play my event with used discs for $10, but will compete against other players in this division for a different (but similar) grand prize. So in other words there will still be a field of people all using the same discs, but anyone who's using "seasoned" AR discs will be playing for a different prize. Fair for everyone.

Does anyone not count aces during Ace Races on their lifetime ace list? We had a discussion in my group yesterday on this after I brought it up and everyone stated they counted them.

Never done an AR but it sounds like there are alot of temporary shortened holes. Some courses just have easy short holes, why not count them?

Latest posts