• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Texas State Championships NT

Having seen McBeth's comments over the last year, it seems like something about Prodigy rubbed him the wrong way, though I'm not sure what. He did something similar when Will beat him at the memorial last year, pointing out that Will "threw his firebird" better than Paul did.

I also saw an interview with him last year where he said one of his big goals was to beat Prodigy guys.

So I'm not sure what happened behind the scenes, but it seems there is some overarching issue. It could just be that McBeth feels loyalty to Innova and isn't happy that people left. Or it could be something more personal dealing with the Prodigy guys.

you're probably write. but... a little story/quote from the weekend

my wife: who are the guys you've been hanging out with this weekend?
me: greg barsby and jared roan
my wife: i thought you said they're touring pros?
me: they are
my wife: then why are they actually cool ppl and everyone else pretentious douches.

we're the same age as these guys, you all may like them bc they're cool to you as spectators, but most of them are snobby dicks when you're they're peers no matter what companies you choose to support

Having seen McBeth's comments over the last year, it seems like something about Prodigy rubbed him the wrong way, though I'm not sure what. He did something similar when Will beat him at the memorial last year, pointing out that Will "threw his firebird" better than Paul did.

I also saw an interview with him last year where he said one of his big goals was to beat Prodigy guys.

So I'm not sure what happened behind the scenes, but it seems there is some overarching issue. It could just be that McBeth feels loyalty to Innova and isn't happy that people left. Or it could be something more personal dealing with the Prodigy guys.

It wasn't loyalty, he was entertaining an offer from Prodigy and had been given test discs. You'll see them on FB occassionally. His reason for not leaving:

they offered me a contract that couldn't compete with innovas and i truly dont think i would switch for 2 discs at the current moment

Worked out well for him. by far the top player at innova, multiple sig discs, etc.

It wasn't loyalty, he was entertaining an offer from Prodigy and had been given test discs. You'll see them on FB occassionally. His reason for not leaving:

Worked out well for him. by far the top player at innova, multiple sig discs, etc.

No doubt it was a good choice for him, but his comments indicate some animosity might be there. If you are entertaining offers and decide Innova over Prodigy, then you shouldn't feel any negative feelings for Prodigy. That would be like interviewing with company A and company B and getting offers from both. You decide to take company B's offer because it's better. In that circumstances, you wouldn't hold any grudges for company A unless something else occurred.

This is pure speculation anyway. I like both those players and they both seem like good guys. I'm just curious what the real motivation might be.

I think both of these examples are not so much him digging on Prodigy as him having a chance to compliment his sponsor even when losing. Neither of these say anything negative at all, they both, maybe not in the most forward way, congratulate the guy who beat him and go on to point out they used his sponsor's plastic.

I think both of these examples are not so much him digging on Prodigy as him having a chance to compliment his sponsor even when losing. Neither of these say anything negative at all, they both, maybe not in the most forward way, congratulate the guy who beat him and go on to point out they used his sponsor's plastic.

Maybe you're right. His comment that I heard from him (wish I could remember where) where he indicated he specifically wanted to beat the prodigy guys, is what makes me think maybe it's more.

Of course, it could just be competitive nature. He knows that most of his top-notch competition has gone to that team and they're being touted as the "best team" and he wants to prove he's better.

No doubt it was a good choice for him, but his comments indicate some animosity might be there. If you are entertaining offers and decide Innova over Prodigy, then you shouldn't feel any negative feelings for Prodigy. That would be like interviewing with company A and company B and getting offers from both. You decide to take company B's offer because it's better. In that circumstances, you wouldn't hold any grudges for company A unless something else occurred.

This is pure speculation anyway. I like both those players and they both seem like good guys. I'm just curious what the real motivation might be.

Did you see the first memorial with team prodigy? The cheering at the final throw off, the "team gots my back" and just the in general doucheness of them all. If I was Paul I would be 100% dedicated to stomping them week in and week out.

I used to like paul before this. I can't respect someone that can't be straight forward about what point they are trying to make. Or someone who belittles and posts insulting references towards competitors via Facebook.

At least prodigy players will talk and interact with casual/lesser pros. Hell, they even hold clinics and have chosen young players to mentor. Do you know what McBeth does? Refuses to teach other players because he is still a "student of the game".

Btw, I only throw Innova because that's what works for me. Not a prodigy fan boy, but no longer a fan of Paul's. Seen him act like a little b on the course as well, throwing temper tantrums when he is losing. For a professional, he needs to learn how to act like one beyond his scorecard.

I used to like paul before this. I can't respect someone that can't be straight forward about what point they are trying to make. Or someone who belittles and posts insulting references towards competitors via Facebook.

At least prodigy players will talk and interact with casual/lesser pros. Hell, they even hold clinics and have chosen young players to mentor. Do you know what McBeth does? Refuses to teach other players because he is still a "student of the game".

Btw, I only throw Innova because that's what works for me. Not a prodigy fan boy, but no longer a fan of Paul's. Seen him act like a little b on the course as well, throwing temper tantrums when he is losing. For a professional, he needs to learn how to act like one beyond his scorecard.

Ummmm, didn't Paul McBeth recently launch the Innova Junior Team?
http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/617-paul-mcbeth-launches-innova-junior-team.html

"Starting this spring a select group of young disc golfers, which currently stands at seven, will represent Innova and be mentored by McBeth."

Didn't know that. Good on him to do that. I reserve my judgement on how genuine that is though.

I know he had an entirely different mindset just months prior to this by his own actions and words.

Didn't know that. Good on him to do that. I reserve my judgement on how genuine that is though.

I know he had an entirely different mindset just months prior to this by his own actions and words.

It was in reaction to prodigy's program.

I've personally witnessed McBeth mentoring a 10 y/o that pretty much idolized him.. That kid is now only 13 and won am worlds in his division. He is a member of that team. It's not just for show.

Nice try Phil Arthur!

Well i've seen him twice in real life and a ton of vids. Seems like an ok cat but he could be a total jerk. The passive aggressive call out probably wasn't the best way to draw attention but it sure as hell was effective.

Also, gotta remember that Paul came on this board for 6 months. With the trolls and aholes that we all are and answered the dumbest questions 4 to 5 times over and over and did it promptly! That in itself makes Paul > then the others who just come on here now and again and sell a frisbee, or rant and cuss people out.

hindsight is 20/20, and everyone on this forum has made a remark on the internet and regretted it.

paul is the best disc golfer on the planet and is allowed to talk any kind of **** he wants. this game is all about score and he has achieved the highest round rating and then the highest pdga rating if i remember correctly...

this is one of those situations where if you cant beat the other guy you cant talk about it. the whole internet scene misleads people into thinking they know something, when they really don't. who could be a disc golf fan and trash the world champ? you suck and thats the only fact in the equation. paul isnt a super hero or school teacher, he plays disc golf every weekend trying to make a living.

also..
if someone is paid to throw prodigy and uses another brands' discs why the hell would i ever pay for a prodigy disc? people that dont understand that are beyond reason. rick is a standup guy. i took 4 days off work to watch him (kill it) at the mn majestic last summer, and he sat out because of an injury. i showed up early to the final round and he putted with a kid in a wheelchair for like 3 hours. i think hes a great disc golfer but if hes going to use kc pro aviars to win a tourny that says a ton about prodigy discs...

At the Am Doubles at Winthrop last year, Him and Jared were shagging fly balls between 6 and 7s fairways. A couple of my D-runk friends joined them and he was super friendly even to loud stupid "OMG it Paul McBeth lets go join them"... So yeah hes cool and will chat and interact with randoms. You cant fault someone for no being a "teacher". Some people can explain how to do things and others cant.

Dont get me Wrong btw, Im good friends with Koling and hes awesome. Absolutely Ridiculous
Ha but awesome. Some people are real social others arent..

Last edited:
It's not on youtube (yet). PDGA tweeted a photo of the lie here. PDGALive posted a short video of her throw from the lie here.

While I was watching Terry Miller's video of the MPO final round, I noticed you can see this vehicle in the background still parked in the same spot. There is parking lot between it and the tee and the basket. Cat's throw crossed over OB to land there. My assumption is that no one expected anyone to land there, so parking was allowed, then a freak wind-aided shot landed there and by the technicalities of how the OB was described for the hole (probably "pavement is OB" or something like that), it was determined she was in bounds.

thanks jc. your alright.

cant believe cat threw outta that. i thought for sure she woulda flicked but im still not entirely sure where the basket was. that was a pretty tight jam, kinda crazy the odds of that happening

It was in reaction to prodigy's program.

I heard of Innovas from a jr team member far before I heard about prodigy's. Id out it the other way around.

Prodigy announced they were doing it before innova released actual team details. 2 months after Innova released their team, prodigy announced a couple kids names. If prodigy was the originator, why didn't they have their members announced first?

Nice try Phil Arthur!

Well i've seen him twice in real life and a ton of vids. Seems like an ok cat but he could be a total jerk. The passive aggressive call out probably wasn't the best way to draw attention but it sure as hell was effective.

Wish I was Phil =p

But yeah I understand this is a competitive sport. And jerkiness will show whether it's intended or not. Especially from the players competing at the very top. I am sure more of this goes on behind the scenes, not in public view on Facebook. Which your right, was a very effective way to spice things up.

I've personally witnessed McBeth mentoring a 10 y/o that pretty much idolized him.. That kid is now only 13 and won am worlds in his division. He is a member of that team. It's not just for show.

Things like this is what I would like to see more. I've seen the opposite, put a bad taste in my mouth that the top pro in our sport couldn't be bothered to stay to watch others get their award after he already received his. Or even clap for them as he was taking pictures of the sunset instead. Then just left while some young am's waited for his signature.

With all that said though, I know he has taken noticed and really helped some locals hone their skills in. There will be young upcoming pros from the Clearwater area hungry to compete, and McBeth is a big factor in that.

Things like this is what I would like to see more. I've seen the opposite, put a bad taste in my mouth that the top pro in our sport couldn't be bothered to stay to watch others get their award after he already received his. Or even clap for them as he was taking pictures of the sunset instead. Then just left while some young am's waited for his signature.

With all that said though, I know he has taken noticed and really helped some locals hone their skills in. There will be young upcoming pros from the Clearwater area hungry to compete, and McBeth is a big factor in that.

You Do realize not everyone can be a Michael Johansen or even Holly Finley right? Your ridiculous not everyone can be absolutley approachable.

Latest posts