• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Ledgestone NT presented by Discraft

I would much rather see these guys battle it out on a course design like Renny than whatever you want to call this design

But then (at least on most holes at Renny) you lose the big gallery.

That said, throwing over a baseball field, then over a football field was pretty hokey. I was expecting a basketball court on the next hole.

I feel like the normal rule of taking a mark doesn't reward you for going OB; you're still penalized a stroke. What stroke+distance does is penalize the player further, because they don't get the distance up the fairway. To make a stroke and distance course work, you need to have safe areas to lay up so that there is a risk/reward choice between laying up and getting a par/bogey, or going for stroke and distance and taking a quad bogey or +5 because you simply can't make the shot.

A lot of the stroke and distance holes had easy lay up areas. For example the bridge hole. Easy layup or go for the green. JohnE went for the green all day today. First round he carded a 9. Second round he carded a 3 after a bad putt.

People hate links style golf when it's new but when it's tradition it's great.

Looks like he got $6600. McBeth got $6000 for Worlds and they made such a huge deal about all the added cash I thought Simon would be taking home a lot more.

Last edited:
That poll is missing an option..

One that falls in the middle.

Super tight extremely wooded courses are not fun at all. They also make it difficult to spectate.

I agree with this. I watched the coverage and some of the holes were just ridiculous. 2 different holes they basically laid up twice and then putted in. I play in the VT/NH area. We have lots of wooded courses. The elite course in the area however has mixed it up, Brewster Ridge at Smugglers notch. They have 18 wooded holes and 9 in a more open format, they are currently finishing off 9 more in the same format. I would describe it as open, but there are certainly some trees and lots of OB. If you are curious to see the course the green mountain championships gets some big names including Lizotte, Schusterick and Wysocki, here is the final 9 on the more open format. On the more open format there is plenty of room to spectate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIgJJaXTuPE

That poll is missing an option..

One that falls in the middle.

Super tight extremely wooded courses are not fun at all. They also make it difficult to spectate.

Of course. But, the poll didn't say "tight extremely wooded". I think allot of people would pick combo of both, I would. But if I had to pick it'd be a no brainer!

But this course didn't prove to be as an exciting an event as anticipated. The "pros" were said to be going to sit down with the TD as to hopefully improve upon for the years to come.

It was a good event, it'll be better next year.

Also as far as being difficult to spectate on tightly wooded. Are there more people watching the coverage on smashboxx or in person? Who are we catering too? Watching this style "golf" reminds me of watching golf, which I do not do often, because it's boring (to me).

Here's the projected payout chart:

http://lisopen.com/event/2015/projected-payout.aspx

We could argue this 'till we're blue in the face, but I think Simon should have received at least $10,000.

Yeah I agree. That's a slap in the face to touring pro's trying to make a living playing disc golf. 50% of the field paid out is a joke. Pretty sure McBeth mentioned that after Vibram last year.

But then (at least on most holes at Renny) you lose the big gallery.

That said, throwing over a baseball field, then over a football field was pretty hokey. I was expecting a basketball court on the next hole.

You mean the gallery interference with discs in flight? I am okay with that lol.
Of course the open courses are better for video and gallery, but there has to be a nice in between where we don't have carnival holes. I have played in and watched as part of galleries in wooded courses that worked fine.

As far as payout goes.....yes amazing fundraising effort but I expected more for first. Players cup was 10k for first and how long ago was that?

Thanks everyone for watching Smashboxx.TV this week. We are constantly striving to improve our broadcasts. We know that there were some audio issue this weekend. There was extra "mic noise" due to the mic that we were using. This week we also put in extra effort into some of the graphics that we provided. I hope that everyone enjoyed it.

Out next big investment will be a new audio and mic setup. It will probably be about $1,000 for the wireless Sennheisser mic setup we are spec'ing out. That will help us with some of the audio issues that we experienced.

Thanks for watching, and we will let everyone know when our next broadcast is. Currently we don't have one scheduled, but there are some possible options yet this year.

Thanks everyone.

Yeah I agree. That's a slap in the face to touring pro's trying to make a living playing disc golf. 50% of the field paid out is a joke. Pretty sure McBeth mentioned that after Vibram last year.

Ironic statement because in reality there are only 3 or 4 "touring pro's" who make a living solely from disc golf tournaments, and that is using the traditional payout methods you are advocating. It's not viable under the current model.
Of course McBeth wants all the money up top, but the vast majority of Open players would rather see that money spread around. Certainly a large percentage of this huge field entered without any expectation of winning, but did so because a top 25 wasn't out of the question, and that meant a potential 1k prize. Let's pay out respectable prizes to a greater number of players, grow field sizes, and there will eventually be more money at the top than ever, even with allowing for a flatter pay scale.

I wonder how many players made $1k today out there at Ledgestone? How about players that have set their own personal record for highest cash thanks to Ledgestone? Yet we're hung up on sacrificing those players to ensure 1st place is paying more??

Thanks everyone for watching Smashboxx.TV this week. We are constantly striving to improve our broadcasts. We know that there were some audio issue this weekend. There was extra "mic noise" due to the mic that we were using. This week we also put in extra effort into some of the graphics that we provided. I hope that everyone enjoyed it.

Out next big investment will be a new audio and mic setup. It will probably be about $1,000 for the wireless Sennheisser mic setup we are spec'ing out. That will help us with some of the audio issues that we experienced.

Thanks for watching, and we will let everyone know when our next broadcast is. Currently we don't have one scheduled, but there are some possible options yet this year.

Thanks everyone.
I'm assuming you're the man behind the controls?

Great coverage today. It was windy and that certainly didn't help wheezy Terry!!! Hahha.

Seriously, great coverage. Commentary was class act and great all around. Much better than others this year.

Oh boy! Everybody gets a trophy (or a dollar).

Pay out to the top 20% of competitors and give the rest a ribbon, a box of doughnuts and a thanks for playing sticker.

I wonder how many players made $1k today out there at Ledgestone? How about players that have set their own personal record for highest cash thanks to Ledgestone? Yet we're hung up on sacrificing those players to ensure 1st place is paying more??

Summed up my statement much better than I did. This is exactly what I am talking about.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the coverage! There will always be glitches, but you guys do a great job!

Only complaint? (a small one) Remind Terry to tell us how long the holes are!

Latest posts