• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Pro Worlds full- Another registration fiasco?

They already have a semi tiered system to begin with. All they need to do is after the euro pre-reg ends, open the pre-reg to the top50(or whatever) rated players in the US. After a week or two, then have the mad dash for the remaining spots.

It's important to remember that the "Professional" disc golf association is made up of a majority of Amateur players.

Many years ago, the PDGA asked members to vote on what they wanted at Worlds. The vote was to have it be a gathering of members to get together and be a festival atmosphere rather than be just about the competition. So, that is what the PDGA has strived for.

Also, the PDGA did a member vote many years ago on whether they should change the name to Players DGA or keep it the way it is. The vote was to keep it the way it is in order to have an image of a professional organization rather than be an organization for just the pros.

Many years ago, the PDGA asked members to vote on what they wanted at Worlds. The vote was to have it be a gathering of members to get together and be a festival atmosphere rather than be just about the competition. So, that is what the PDGA has strived for.

Also, the PDGA did a member vote many years ago on whether they should change the name to Players DGA or keep it the way it is. The vote was to keep it the way it is in order to have an image of a professional organization rather than be an organization for just the pros.

i like the festival idea but why not make it a huge event of 500-700 pro players

thats more festivally to me

I think Rusco and Emporia can pull off a huge number of players in the 2016 worlds. I hope they set the standard and poof problem solved.

Of course I will bitch about all those open boring courses in Kansas next yr lol

The PDGA have to serve the Ams right now. They are what makes the money in every facet of disc golf. If they prioritized the pros and wants NT's with only touring pros, then they will have like 30 ppl in the tourney total. Even the 1000 rated local player is technically an AM. He only has a slight slight chance of beating a touring pro.

I don't care for a lot of these pros anyways. They think they should get everything for free while doing nothing to further the sport. This isn't a good time in disc golf to sit back and hope more sponsors show up. They need to be the most involved in the sport BUT they are sadly not, it's the AMs.

I think the people that made it priority to register on time are the people that want to be there or believe they can win. We can spoon feed these pros when they start acting like Professionals in every aspect. On and off the course. Until then, us AMs will dominate the sport and bring in the money and sponsors.
You're so vein, you probably think this tournament is about you. If you were good enough to be pro it sounds like you'd fit in with your description of said pros that you don't care for. Obvious hypocrite is obvious.

Get all the top pros in or it's just a joke.

There is also an Am worlds. Not saying that Ams should not be allowed to play Pro worlds, but there is an event 100% catered to them on the same scale. It all comes down to tiered registration however that gets implemented. If there are still spots and people dont register in time than it is their fault, and no one can fault anyone for the lower rated guys getting in. I think it's a little silly that our highest profile event in the sport doesn't have any of these safeguards.

In order to get a pro worlds invite, you do have to be signed up for the pdga as a pro. (which isn't to say there aren't lots of people classified as "pro" who have zero chance of winning pro worlds).

The real answer is to only have MPO and FPO at the Worlds. Have another age protected Worlds at another time and location. This is coming from a GM. It would give players like Climo a chance at both. I also don't think having a 500-700 player event is a very good idea. Most clubs can't handle more than 4 courses being run at one time. Too many TD's and a lack of one player really in charge. It creates too many headaches. It's the reason many of the top NT's seem more professional than the Worlds.

Wah! I didn't get in to World's....

If a player has completed what is required to enter and has paid his money he has just as much of a right to play as the defending world champ or any top pro.

I'm am so sick of this argument.

Poor touring pro making money playing disc golf has a sad. So what. Move on...

Maybe if the top guys miss a few events they might learn to set an alarm or 2 to make sure they get off their asses and register before the thousands of players that might have qualified for their first worlds and are eager to sign up and have an experience of a life time.

It's no one's job to baby sit a touring pro. They are big kids they can fend for themselves.

Personally, I think that all divisions other than mpo and FPO should be removed from worlds. I think that they can certainly make an event like the Tim selinske masters championship more like worlds, and make it the worlds event for master and above aged players...

If a player has completed what is required to enter and has paid his money he has just as much of a right to play as the defending world champ or any top pro.

Maybe if the top guys miss a few events they might learn to set an alarm or 2 to make sure they get off their asses and register before the thousands of players that might have qualified for their first worlds and are eager to sign up and have an experience of a life time.

It's no one's job to baby sit a touring pro. They are big kids they can fend for themselves.
You have a valid point with how registration is set up now. I think anyone should agree even though you come across very emotional and butthurt? I also think everyone should agree that the system is flawed and as long as baddies fill up the mpo it's a joke.

Honestly, I'm more worried about it as a fan and spectator of the sport. Not for the fairness to the players. I want to see the best of the best compete to see who can prove to be the best disc golfer in the world for that year. Just like I want to see the same in college football and other sports I care about.

If for some reason Paul McBeth didn't make it in it would seem like a lessened world championship. Can you really call it a world championship if the reigning back to back to back world champ didn't play? To an extant if guys with a legitimate shot at winning like Schusterick and Rico don't make it in I feel the same way.

I complain because I want to see the best of the best battle it out just like I complained in 2004-05 when an Auburn, Utah, and Boise State all went undefeated and didn't have a chance to compete for the National Championship. I really didn't care about any of those teams personally, but the eventual winner seemed like much less of a true champion. The whole thing felt cheapened. And if the top disc golfers don't get into Worlds I'll fell the same way.

Obviously no system for deciding a champion in any sport is perfect, but I think being the first to register for an event and totally ignoring playing merits other than tournament participation is a pretty poor way to select a field of players.

There should be a rule favoring top rated players for all PDGA Majors and NT's. Something along the lines of registration opening a week early for all 1000+ rated pros. I love watching footage of the top tournaments and I want to see all of the best players competing.

I am a player and a fan.

There should be a rule favoring top rated players for all PDGA Majors and NT's. Something along the lines of registration opening a week early for all 1000+ rated pros. I love watching footage of the top tournaments and I want to see all of the best players competing.

Stop making so much sense, we're talking about the PDGA here.