• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Pro Worlds full- Another registration fiasco?

I'm in. Registered right after it opened at 9:00 PDT.

They should do it one day at a time, 1000+ day 1, 950+ day 2, 900+ day 3, everyone else from day 4 on. Problem solved. I believe Hyzerbomb with the Nick Hyde Memorial did something similar and it seemed to work fine.

I plan on taking lots of pictures of all the 800 rated bro's so they can boost up their portfolio and become more marketable to all of you guys in here. That way when this thread comes up next year I can just speak in photographs.

Random thought....

This idea is specifically for highly competitive large tournaments that have a history of selling out.

Since players who are 1000+ typically would "Cash" in tournaments, the cost of registration is not as big of deterrent compared to those who are signing up for the "experience" or who are on a disc golf vacation. This whole thread was made because some big names were on the wait list and there were bunch of people who got in and have no chance of winning. I'm trying to think of a way to make it "fair" to everyone, but still allow TDs to capitalize on the over whelming demand, but still guarantee a sell-out.

For the first week have First-Come-First-Serve registration, but have the entry fee be $50-$100 more than it historically has been. Make it a built-in fundraiser for the tournament. If the tournament has not sold out in a week, lower the registration fee. If you want to guarantee your spot, pay the extra "Raise Funds for a Non-Profit Tax" or "Pay the TD Tax" or "Raise the Pay-Out Tax". If not, take your chances for when the cheaper registration opens.

I think the issue begins at inviting players based on a fairly low and fixed points value.

http://www.pdga.com/2015proworlds/invites

Qualification Criteria
  1. Top Pro Points earners during 2014 PDGA Tour: Minimum Requirement: MPO 750 pts, MPM 300 pts, MPG 65 pts, FPO 25 pts
  2. Older Divisions - all male Pro members eligible for the Senior Grandmaster or older divisions in 2015 and all female Pro members eligible for Master or older divisions in 2015, both who have completed any PDGA sanctioned tournament in a Professional division during the 2014 PDGA tour.

For MPO, it's a small 750 points. Here's my proposal:

Based on the previous years points from http://www.pdga.com/players/stats?Y...er=All&Bracket=Open&Country=All&StateProv=All

1. Determine the highest points accrued for the previous year in each division, for MPO 2014 it was 20233 (Paul Ulibarri).
  2. By February 1, issue invitations to any PDGA member with 10% of the high value in item 1, in the case of MPO 2014 this is 2023 points.
  3. All interested players must register for Worlds by May 1. This is not a guarantee of playing at Worlds, but is refundable if not selected for a slot. Based on 2014 points, this is 330 players.
  4. On May 15th the PDGA will order the players based on their previous years points accumulated and confirm registration based on availability of slots. In 2014 there are 144 slots, so up to 186 people would be either be refunded or waitlisted based on their point totals.

Why I feel this is a better plan than the current gold rush:
  • This method is based on points and rewards players with the best finishes at the highest level events of the previous year.
  • This also allows regional pros grinding it out to gain a slot for the title, but still requires tremendous participation and finishing to make the cut.
  • Players competing for Worlds are the top players in the world based on last years results.
  • Players have 2 months to register.
  • Transparency of process.

Where I feel this plan lacks completeness:
  • If a player takes time off, for any reason, it may jeopardize their next 1-2 years of top level competition. If a player were to be hurt, I'd prefer to have a way to integrate them back into Worlds. Perhaps a vendor purchase slot system would be worth considering, this is common in other sports with qualifying criteria.
  • Everything can be gamed, and although unlikely, this system could be gamed by hitting a large number (huge really) of local events regardless of event quality.

A bit complicated, though superior to ratings-based tiers.

How about this? If there are 144 slots, send invites to the top 144 points winners. No one gets an invite that can't be honored. If they don't register in the first 24 hours, open registration to a lower points threshold, perhaps the current one, on a first-come basis.

A bit complicated, though superior to ratings-based tiers.

How about this? If there are 144 slots, send invites to the top 144 points winners. No one gets an invite that can't be honored. If they don't register in the first 24 hours, open registration to a lower points threshold, perhaps the current one, on a first-come basis.
We're saying nearly the same thing, you're moving the complication around though like a shell game. The if-this-then-that approach combined with my perception of technology-challenged PDGA officials and TDs I think would go really badly. I also object to the behind the scenes method of someone being able to manipulate the slots without oversight, which is in question if everyone isn't invited at once.

In a better organized world, your plan is cool. I just think opening the registration to a wider audience and then issuing refunds later if needed is a simpler approach.

I still think "invite the top 144" is a better plan than "lets gamble seeing how long it takes 144 random people to signup. maybe it's 10 hours this year, or maybe it's 30 minutes".

Getting invited to a Worlds is just as important to many as actually getting in. The points system and a reasonably "doable" point minimum has helped increase the number of events and participants.

Until recently, "getting in" was just a matter of deciding to. The invite was guaranteed, because the event wouldn't fill. So the invite was a nice honor, but just that.

An invite that says, in fine print, that it's good only if 15% of the invitees accept the offer, and/or if you're quicker to register than the others, isn't quite the same.

Hahahaha proud of minimums ... if you are a 60 Y.O. man or a 40 Y.O. woman you should be proud that you played in 1 PDGA event. Pat on back.

Latest posts