• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 European Open

The commentary thing bothered me, too. Kept talking about Paul when Eagle was also tied for the lead and Tamm was still a factor. Surely not intentional, but the tone gave away the result.

This is one of my biggest issues with post produced. It's like watching a movie you haven't seen yet with your friend who has, and they swear they won't spoil anything, but then they totally do by saying things like, "oh I hate this part!" And then you know someone dies.

I must respectfully disagree. They gave Tamm lots of props, they discussed that Eagle was catching up to the lead, then how Eagle and Wysocki were blowing their leads and chances to improve. Yes, they knew McBeast was going to come back to win (and so did most of us watching the videos), but I didn't think they telegraphed it in an particularly bad way.

The one thing I'd like to see less of is the "Oh no!" comments when someone hits a tree. Just tell us Wysocki hit an early tree; you don't have to commiserate over it as if the guy died or something...

Seems to me that the only way to get commentary as if they don't already know the results is to have commentators who don't know the results. And at this stage, the only way to get that is to have live commentary, which of course, doesn't work for these condensed post-produced videos.

These folks aren't trained commentators, or actors for that matter. I just don't think they're capable of being 100% neutral about the results. Like you say, it's not intentional, but it's tough to avoid regardless.

It's almost impossible to avoid without live commentary. Post produced commentary loses the genuine reaction of the commentators seeing everything for the first time. Like you implied it's logistically impractical to have post-produced commentators who don't know the results, especially when they are playing in the tournament.

It's a lot to ask of the commentators, especially when they are touring pros first and do commentary as a side gig. Clearly they are working to improve and in many ways have over the last few years. Nate and Jerm come across much more professional than they used to.

I'm just kind of annoyed that I go out of my way to avoid dg social media and udisc so that I don't see the results, but then the commentary spoils it anyway. I get that a lot of people who watch post produced already know who wins, but I know that I am not alone in making an effort to find out by watching the post produced. More often than not by the time I'm watching the final rd back 9 I can correctly guess who is going to win even if the score is tied.

Wow, what a tourney. Ricky shot -2 on the final round, never would have expected that.
Just my 2 cents, but I thought the production and commentary were both top notch. I never felt the winner was telegraphed.

I managed to stay away from here and other disc golf media yesterday, so that when I loaded up the final round edited coverage I did not know the outcome.

WOW. So thrilling, it really does change things a lot when you don't know the results.

The final round of the European Open 2019 IS the new high water mark for our sport.

We got the best players, at (one of) the best courses, with (arguably) the best event, the biggest gallery, top notch video and commentary. It all came together perfectly and I was glued to my seat watching it all unfold.

Sexton said it right when he said the gallery sounds different with that many people.

The only small disappointment was that the final few holes didn't have as much drama because of the score separation.

Amazing job to Jussi and all of the organizers of the event, SpinTV and just.. Finland in general.

Last edited:
Wow, what a tourney. Ricky shot -2 on the final round, never would have expected that.
Just my 2 cents, but I thought the production and commentary were both top notch. I never felt the winner was telegraphed.
i felt the same way. what drama in the last round! it wasn't until after 16 that i was sure of the winner & 2nd place came down to the last hole. they also avoided spoiling holes by giving the shoutouts to the people who shot amazing on the previous hole (not during the hole). jomez is still slightly better, but they did turn around post produced content a little faster (it's probably those follow flights that take more time).

Seems to me that the only way to get commentary as if they don't already know the results is to have commentators who don't know the results. And at this stage, the only way to get that is to have live commentary, which of course, doesn't work for these condensed post-produced videos.

These folks aren't trained commentators, or actors for that matter. I just don't think they're capable of being 100% neutral about the results. Like you say, it's not intentional, but it's tough to avoid regardless.

For the life of disc golf, I'll never understand why each major media house just doesn't hire a team to do commentary (for at least the full season). I've heard commentary from the small teams, large, etc, there ARE people out there that can do the job.

For the life of disc golf, I'll never understand why each major media house just doesn't hire a team to do commentary (for at least the full season). I've heard commentary from the small teams, large, etc, there ARE people out there that can do the job.

What do you mean there "are people out there"? I think you don't understand the logistics of what it takes to do commentary on a post production video.

What do you mean there "are people out there"? I think you don't understand the logistics of what it takes to do commentary on a post production video.

Quite frankly, I do. No need to go over the tech, because we all know it's possible for 2 people anywhere to record audio at the same time while watching a video. I'm saying...get 2 people on board who will be the "voices" of the media house. Can grow with the company, etc, etc. I could see different players, guest commentators, etc, for the casual rounds, fun events, etc, but for the big events, why not strive to have continuity in regards to commentary?

Quite frankly, I do. No need to go over the tech, because we all know it's possible for 2 people anywhere to record audio at the same time while watching a video. I'm saying...get 2 people on board who will be the "voices" of the media house. Can grow with the company, etc, etc. I could see different players, guest commentators, etc, for the casual rounds, fun events, etc, but for the big events, why not strive to have continuity in regards to commentary?

So you need to find two people who have expert knowledge of disc golf, know the players, their style of play, know the courses, are available to do commentary together (similar work/life schedules) and are always available for the big events?

Plus they would need to be affordable as the "major media houses" don't have a ton of money to throw around.

Gotcha, seems super easy.

I managed to stay away from here and other disc golf media yesterday, so that when I loaded up the final round edited coverage I did not know the outcome.

WOW. So thrilling, it really does change things a lot when you don't know the results.

The final round of the European Open 2019 IS the new high water mark for our sport.

We got the best players, at (one of) the best courses, with (arguably) the best event, the biggest gallery, top notch video and commentary. It all came together perfectly and I was glued to my seat watching it all unfold.

Sexton said it right when he said the gallery sounds different with that many people.

The only small disappointment was that the final few holes didn't have as much drama because of the score separation.

Amazing job to Jussi and all of the organizers of the event, SpinTV and just.. Finland in general.

I learned the hard way to stay away from DG social media when I want to watch post produced/edited rounds from tournaments I am interested in seeing. Had a couple of tournaments ruined by the inevitable *spoilers* getting posted in the past. Not this year ;)

Last edited:
Yup

It is a great course but is in many ways like USDGC ( I was there last year)....park golf with roped off OB...not to the same extent...there are some wooded holes...but much of it feels the same...and I don't think that this is good...lightstands and sidewalks and buildings...

I would prefer that majors are more traditional disc golf...regardless of being spectator friendly...give me Pittsburgh World's (minus the university course) or Smugglers Notch (where I also was last year), where even in the roped off holes you don't have sidewalks and buildings (except to some extent on hole 18)....

I understand the desire for stadium golf, but can't really embrace it ..

So you need to find two people who have expert knowledge of disc golf, know the players, their style of play, know the courses,

lol... seriously? Are you expecting or even wanting that much information from disc golf commentary? The best sports commentators are also spectators in my opinion. They enjoy watching the sport, chime in with a tad bit of knowledge, and don't dwell on the boring bits or overcompensate with excessive verbiage. But I digress... I get it that some peeps want all that technical info, and that's why I'm always pressing for each major tournament to have an updated ITB that directly corresponds to what the players are using for this tournament. Get two people on board for the entire season, and chances are they will be up to speed on the most popular players fairly quickly.

Imop.. disc golf commentary just needs this...

"Hole #1, Paul Mcbeth on the tee."
(Paul drives, booth is quiet, allowing the viewers to watch the release and early flight of the disc.)
"Paul's hyzer release is tracking nicely toward the basket. With a nice skip on the fast green, Paul is in good shape for a birdie opportunity."

Anyone with minimal knowledge of the sport could handle that.

We don't need this...

"Hole #1, Paul McBeth on the tee. I birded this hole earlier with a great anny flex shot, let's see if Paul does the same."
(Paul drives..)
"Oh man...that came out early, that could cut roll, yep..it's rolling, wow... I don't see how that happened. Like I said, I was able to birdie this hole earlier and I'm surprised Paul has started out like this. Ok, the disc is still rolling, wow.. it finally stopped, that's going to be a tough par for Paul".

Feel feel to flame...it's just my opinion. I know some agree, I know some don't.

lol... seriously? Are you expecting or even wanting that much information from disc golf commentary? The best sports commentators are also spectators in my opinion. They enjoy watching the sport, chime in with a tad bit of knowledge, and don't dwell on the boring bits or overcompensate with excessive verbiage. But I digress... I get it that some peeps want all that technical info, and that's why I'm always pressing for each major tournament to have an updated ITB that directly corresponds to what the players are using for this tournament. Get two people on board for the entire season, and chances are they will be up to speed on the most popular players fairly quickly.

Imop.. disc golf commentary just needs this...

"Hole #1, Paul Mcbeth on the tee."
(Paul drives, booth is quiet, allowing the viewers to watch the release and early flight of the disc.)
"Paul's hyzer release is tracking nicely toward the basket. With a nice skip on the fast green, Paul is in good shape for a birdie opportunity."

Anyone with minimal knowledge of the sport could handle that.

We don't need this...

"Hole #1, Paul McBeth on the tee. I birded this hole earlier with a great anny flex shot, let's see if Paul does the same."
(Paul drives..)
"Oh man...that came out early, that could cut roll, yep..it's rolling, wow... I don't see how that happened. Like I said, I was able to birdie this hole earlier and I'm surprised Paul has started out like this. Ok, the disc is still rolling, wow.. it finally stopped, that's going to be a tough par for Paul".

Feel feel to flame...it's just my opinion. I know some agree, I know some don't.

You are half right, i would say. I personally like to have a "color guy" with a stay-on-topic guy. I think it helps in the appeal of the edited coverage .
Although, Sexton has to fight Jerm to stay on topic and evaluate each shot. Jerm will ramble over ppls shots constantly if Sexton doesnt step in.

I personally am getting a little tired of Jerm but i appreciate the light-heartedness somewhat. He is just overkill, especially since they got bigger.

I want to hear a Sexton/Perkins combo and see how that vibes.

Flame me too pls :)

Disc golf is best without commentary. Old ones from Thediscgolfguy, where you hear all the sounds and sometimes chatting in the group. The best commentary i heard was from Eagle and Simon beeing themselves and bantering eachother. Like real conversations, not forced.