• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

I will tell you one DG media thing. Later this year the national broadcasting company is airing a half hour documentary about Tuomas Hyytiäinen, who won the first non-US Discmania Combine and became a Team Discmania player. The premiere is actually tomorrow, on my home course after a one-round competition.

You may ask "Who?" but the bigger question is, in what other country than Finland would they do something like that?

I will tell you one DG media thing. Later this year the national broadcasting company is airing a half hour documentary about Tuomas Hyytiäinen, who won the first non-US Discmania Combine and became a Team Discmania player. The premiere is actually tomorrow, on my home course after a one-round competition.

You may ask "Who?" but the bigger question is, in what other country than Finland would they do something like that?

Is YLE broadcasting the European Open this year?

Paige Pierce signed a 3 year contract extension per DD FB post.

https://www.facebook.com/302490030653/posts/10161204476380654/

Based on her repeatedly saying DD is home to her, yada..yada...friends...family...etc.

1) The fact that there was even a decision to be made was interesting.
2) Surprised something long term with DD other than 3 years was not announced.

She'll be 30 when the new contract expires. It does seem like that's the magic age in disc golf for something major to change.

My biggest question out of all of this:

Who gets their name on the Star Destroyer cash cow now?

And what BBQ sauce comes with it now?

From Estonia: unfortunately all three Tattar, Lätt and Tamm stayd true to Lat64 and signed for 2019. Discraft offer was on the table, but somehow was not enough.

Why unfortunately? Tattar is a solid FPO player. What little I've seen of Lätt is impressive. DC made a move for all three?

I thought that Wysocki moved to Rock Hill or nearby. It would be convenient to be Innova sponsored since Innova's east coast HQ is right there. He could really comb the warehouse for discs of his liking.

Ian: Tasty putt by Paul, what's he putting with there, Corey?

Corey: I believe that's his limited edition tour series Challenger in Sticky Fingers plastic. It's a real grippy blend.

Ian: Oh, he switched it up from the KC Masterpieces?

Corey: Yeah, the weather conditions are so slick out here plus these fly so sweet and saucy.

Sexton: *licks fingers before throw. Tastes like old, PFN Champ Orc. Regrets not being sponsored by Discraft with their new line of discs with BBQ sauce molded into the plastic*

Since moving to Sweden recently, I have fell out of the loop (if I ever was) of good DG gossips from Finland. Based on my limited contacts in here, the overall scene seems to be somewhat lagging in Sweden compared to Finland. There are players and courses but if you try to talk about DG to a random guys, they probably have no idea that the sport exists.

Back in Finland it feels like disc golf has reached almost national sport status in some places, local authorities are supporting courses, and schools have disc golf in sports classes etc.

There are lots of great junior players coming from Finland soon if they keep focused. Like Discmania sponsored Oskari Vikström who just got his rating updated to 1006, at age of 15!

Based on her repeatedly saying DD is home to her, yada..yada...friends...family...etc.

1) The fact that there was even a decision to be made was interesting.
2) Surprised something long term with DD other than 3 years was not announced.

She'll be 30 when the new contract expires. It does seem like that's the magic age in disc golf for something major to change.

Not all that surprised either, but with an expiring contract there was some speculation. Of course, no one thought McBeth would leave Innova either after all his professed love for the brand and now he will be throwing different plastic.

Both Paige's signed 3 year deals with DD, must be the longest they are willing to offer at this time.

From the DD Carrollton event, there were a lot of questions about Nate Perkins jumping to DD, but he was pretty adamant that he was working on a deal to stay with Discmania.

For what it's worth, Memphis style BBQ sauce. Hot and sweet is where it is at.

Also, I've speculated that Paul left Innova for (likely) Discraft for reasons more than just money. I don't think that about Wysocki; I suspect his main reasons are green dollar bills... or better BBQ sauce. :p

Do you mean that Discraft wasn't willing to pay Paul a higher salary than Innova? Because Ian said on Reddit that Paul chose Discraft for money.

A 5 year contract seems dumb for a disc golfer. Tying yourself down for that long when a potentially better deal could come along in 2-3 years. I get the appeal of financial security, but it seems like companies are investing a little more in their players now. Why not sign a shorter contract to see if that growth continues and get a better deal sooner?

The 5 year deal was for Simon Lizotte; I believe it was mentioned earlier in the thread that they probably made the deal 5 years so he could get a work visa more easily. I believe the same post said there were two re-negotiation windows in the contract

Do you mean that Discraft wasn't willing to pay Paul a higher salary than Innova?.

No, I don't mean that at all, and I'm not sure how you extrapolated that. What I said, and meant, was that it is possible Discraft gave Paul something extra that Innova (i.e. Dave Dunipace) wasn't willing to give, such as control of developing a line of discs. It's also entirely possible that that's not the case. Vee shall see. Time will tell...

Not all that surprised either, but with an expiring contract there was some speculation. Of course, no one thought McBeth would leave Innova either after all his professed love for the brand and now he will be throwing different plastic.

Both Paige's signed 3 year deals with DD, must be the longest they are willing to offer at this time.

From the DD Carrollton event, there were a lot of questions about Nate Perkins jumping to DD, but he was pretty adamant that he was working on a deal to stay with Discmania.

For what it's worth, Memphis style BBQ sauce. Hot and sweet is where it is at.

I believe little Paige's was 2 years

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2018/11/12/2019-player-sponsorship-tracker/

Wonder if Eagle is thinking Rock Hill has better BBQ than Boulder...