• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

I don't think anyone involved with DG media is going to spread rumors they don't have some confidence in.

I also don't think there are any shenanigans at play here. The conspiracy theories in this thread that go beyond reasonable skepticism are equally hilarious and scary.

I also think there would have been some media coverage or a leak if something big was happening in DG such as an outside company coming in with a big play.

Has anything happened in the last five years that makes DG a more attractive space in which a company might make a major investment? It would seem to me that if such were to happen, the company would want to get in ahead of the curve but not before there's an actual curve. DG barely registers if it registers at all with other sports gear/apparel companies.

Furthermore, I'm not convinced major sponsors/companies know the best way to make investments in the current marketplace. NASCAR is struggling. Cycling (yes, niche sport) is really struggling for team sponsorships. I would think E-Sports would be the top priority of nearly any company looking to move into a new market.

I can't see the connection between a golf company like Callaway and disc golf. As far as I know (and I really don't know) Callaway does no or very little injection molding. So no injection presses (or compression if that's your fancy) stamping equipmentnt, toolmakers, plastic engineers ect. I can see them wanting into our sport (maybe) but it's not like they could start pumping out discs tomorrow. It'd be a big investment into something they have zero footing in. My .02 anyway

Dammit. I was really thinking it was the 12th of Octcember in the moon of 31, as is tradition with annual contracts here.

:clap::clap: Now how much does that equal monthly?

---

On a larger note - can we please, as a group, get over the notion that magically there will be this "outside the sport money" appearing in the wilderness for us?

If someone was going to sign a deal with a company like that, I guarantee you one of the handful of plugged-in individuals that have posted in this thread would have gotten wind of it.

Everybody knew ahead of time that Innova was cooking something up with Terrex, and that DD was aiming to do Stadium events, that Jerm was going to Innova in 2015, that Val was leaving, etc, etc...

Maybe I'm just being a curmudgeon here, but I think it's bad to effectively "boy who cried wolf" the "big outside sponsor" angle over and over again. Let's save the energy for the real thing, lol.

I'll admit I was shocked, I thought Paul would throw Innova for life like Climo, but I got over it. One of the reasons I never gravitated towards any hero worship, they'll always let you down. Nobody can live up to someone elses expectations.

Not calling you out specifically, but is just the most recent instance of this. But I don't get why people are making it seem like Paul moving has shattered their dreams. Is it that they are just so brand loyal to Innova that anyone that leaves is seen as a traitor? If Paul never threw Innova, would they have not been fans? I would think if you are a fan of a player, especially in disc golf, where the money is limited, you'd be happy to see one of your favorites making moves to increase their ability to make a living within the sport.

I'll admit I was shocked, I thought Paul would throw Innova for life like Climo, but I got over it. One of the reasons I never gravitated towards any hero worship, they'll always let you down. Nobody can live up to someone elses expectations.
I can't relate to the idea that a player takes a better sponsorship offer and has let people down somehow. Being rude to fans or being a bad sport, okay. But this is a business relationship, so I don't get it. Why is the player the bad guy and not the brand?

I can't relate to the idea that a player takes a better sponsorship offer and has let people down somehow. Being rude to fans or being a bad sport, okay. But this is a business relationship, so I don't get it. Why is the player the bad guy and not the brand?

"I" never said he was the bad guy, simply said I was shocked because of all the comments McBeth has made praising Innova over the years. Just seemed from the outside like a long partnership. McBeth will still impress me no matter what he throws, be it a battle of the eras, 90's style or a new sponsor. I just like the way he plays.

"I" am also not an Innova fan boy, my bag is mixed, but I will admit to looking to Innova first if I'm trying to fill a spot because Innova is most available to me.

Just think of the flack we'd hear from the Discraft fan boys if Nate Doss or MJ switched sponsors.

On the perspective of fan loyalty. While it is now the sports mantra that you go where the money is, I grew up in a time when players had some loyalty to their teams. It wasn't set in stone, but it was there. Some folks still live some of that.

I'm not against Paul for leaving Innova, I simply can't see how you make the numbers work. We will probably never get the underlying details of the contract. We might get that he's a partner (doubt if we'd get the numbers, but...) and we will get a feel if there is a plastic deal or discs assigned to, or manufactured for Paul. It's a bold move if someone picks him up hoping to use him to chase down Innova. I don't see it. I can see taking a chunk out of Tri, maybe, but you need a strategy. I'm curious to see what it will be.

As for the taking a chunk out of Innova, I don't buy Innova cause of Paul, I avoid named discs like the plauge. I understand that people buy discs with names and want them. Innova has been doing this a long time, and they still make named discs. So do other companies. I'm betting money, they know exactly what those names do for sales and what is the payoff. I'd dearly like to see the projections on "Paul" sales. In my business career, I've seen more Horse Pucky projections on sales than realistic ones. Most put out by folks that were convinced, and that were dead wrong. My favorites are ones that beat the sales on new releases of iPhones. Those, are a hoot!

You will notice that I'm not offering to bet, and I'm not saying no way. Strange things happen. I'll never get rich betting on one though, cause they are rare and wonderful things.

I've not seen (may have missed) a Paul fan saying, I'm following him wherever he goes. If he wore panties, I would too. But maybe. I just don't see it.

I've seen lots of Discraft fans predict that lots of folks will follow Paul to Discraft, until it happens, I'm not betting on it. Oh, some will, and I will be interested to see what the real numbers are.

My uneducated guess is that discraft isn't sponsoring Paul but will be manufacturing a line of discs for him. Similar to how dga discs are molded by discraft.

I'm down with Paul to Discraft. I'm not gonna convert my whole bag, but it is starting to have more Discraft in it than it used to. Discraft's best discs are their mids, and their best mold is only availible in one plastic (a beat Wasp can cover Comet duties, a fresh Comet can't cover the OS mid slot and as a result a Wasp is seen as better by myself, though I bag both due to a lack of used Wasps near me). I'm hoping to see Paul get new ESP, X and Ti Wasps run, then I can drop my Rocs, for a more versatile mold. I think I need to try a Vulture and Ringer GT since the recent Discraft plastic I've thrown has been awesome, but just didn't quite make me change (with the exception of the Wasp and Comet) from what I'd already been throwing (Punisher vs. Destroyer, Thrasher vs. Shryke/Tern/Pharoah).

I've not seen (may have missed) a Paul fan saying, I'm following him wherever he goes. If he wore panties, I would too. But maybe. I just don't see it.

I saw this one on Instagram...

"Huge fan wherever you go I'm going, you've inspired me to become a better golfer and do you not worry about a bad hole... blah blah blah... I have all your destroyers and I'm going to keep them in the bag... blah blah blah"

yah..I saw all that, still sounds like mctrolling to me.

You're head is going to explode when it's official man.

It would be a serious lack of judgement to leak that he was going to Discraft through Ian if it weren't true.

It would be an even worse mistake to publicly announce he is parting ways with Innova if it was just his relationship changing. That would be a huge positive for Paul and Innova if they could reach an agreement like that and there would be no need to entertain that he severing all ties for the 2019 season.

On the perspective of fan loyalty. While it is now the sports mantra that you go where the money is, I grew up in a time when players had some loyalty to their teams. It wasn't set in stone, but it was there. Some folks still live some of that.
I get the loyalty to a local sports team. I loved that Steve Yzerman retired having played only for the Detroit Red Wings for his entire career. But I never cared whether he played with an Easton or Bauer stick.

I get that if you are playing for the underdog. But if the big team is not even willing to match the underdogs offer how is the player disloyal if he leaves? Do you think Paul should stay even if Innova does not pay him at all? Probably not, so how much is enough and how do you know that Innova offered it?

My uneducated guess is that discraft isn't sponsoring Paul but will be manufacturing a line of discs for him. Similar to how dga discs are molded by discraft.

Amen brother, been saying that from the beginning. My money is still on this. Beast Mode Disc Golf or something