• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

That strikes me as odd. Companies here in Finland do list their capital & revenue etc. How could you ever invest in a company if you have no idea how much they make and how much they need to make it etc. I am no economist though maybe I just dont see the big picture.

Discraft and Innova are not publicly traded, so they don't have to release any financials. You cannot invest in them.

With Discraft it has been a back and forth. A decade ago, Discraft started using youtube and embedding videos with Mark Ellis on their website. They were waaayyy ahead of the curve there. Those were among the very first quality disc golf videos that were made. They had a good website. They had Doss and McCabe at the top of a solid Pro team. They had the deepest FPO team in the sport. There was no question that they were the #2 brand and doing some things better than Innova.

Then the whole "Ultimate as a pro sport" thing started and Ultimate got really hot. Discraft shifted to an Ultimate focus and lost most of their sponsored disc golf team, their website stinks and the disc golf videos that did such a good job of pushing the brand in the late '00's stopped happening. To me it really looked like the company is big enough to profit from a variety of disc sports but not big enough to support a lot of marketing in multiple sports. Put that up against a hype machine like DD and a company like Innova and suddenly the whole landscape looks like it's Innova/Trilogy. It's not, Discraft is a force in our sport. They have been kind of a sleeping giant, but they are a giant.

What is happening now to me just looks like Discraft deciding that they need to focus on disc golf again and react to the changes in the market over the last 6-8 years while they have been focused on Ultimate. The sleeping giant is waking up. That's a very, very good thing for disc golf.

:thmbup:

Wagers lol

I'm definitely over any sponsored players taking "wagers" on something they likely have almost certain information on. More like "hey chump, I want to make cash off my gossip, how much will you give me?"

I can't speak for the past, but their marketing guy suddenly passed away this time last year.

I can confirm the website and team profiles are getting a huge face lift in 2019.

And before anyone says it has to do with McBeth, we were all notified of this before the McBeth rumors started.

I believe you 100%. I think it will be good for the sport to have Discraft take back some of their spotlight.

With Discraft it has been a back and forth. A decade ago, Discraft started using youtube and embedding videos with Mark Ellis on their website. They were waaayyy ahead of the curve there. Those were among the very first quality disc golf videos that were made. They had a good website. They had Doss and McCabe at the top of a solid Pro team. They had the deepest FPO team in the sport. There was no question that they were the #2 brand and doing some things better than Innova.

Then the whole "Ultimate as a pro sport" thing started and Ultimate got really hot. Discraft shifted to an Ultimate focus and lost most of their sponsored disc golf team, their website stinks and the disc golf videos that did such a good job of pushing the brand in the late '00's stopped happening. To me it really looked like the company is big enough to profit from a variety of disc sports but not big enough to support a lot of marketing in multiple sports. Put that up against a hype machine like DD and a company like Innova and suddenly the whole landscape looks like it's Innova/Trilogy. It's not, Discraft is a force in our sport. They have been kind of a sleeping giant, but they are a giant.

What is happening now to me just looks like Discraft deciding that they need to focus on disc golf again and react to the changes in the market over the last 6-8 years while they have been focused on Ultimate. The sleeping giant is waking up. That's a very, very good thing for disc golf.

For sure. I'm with you there, and I definitely remember those videos with Mark Ellis, Dion Arlyn, etc.

I still find it weird that Fish isn't on their website. He's won like 5 A-tiers in the last 2 years and been top 20 at worlds both years as well. Most underrated player in the world?

Basically anyone added in 2018 isn't on there. I can't speak for why.

All of our profiles are certainly outdated. I don't work where it says I do. Gained like 30 since my picture, I'm not on the team mentioned anymore and I don't even throw the discs that it says I do anymore.

Maybe a moot point if he goes to Innova, but I've never understood why Ricky is with Lat64 and not DD. And the answer could be as simple as "Lat64 signed him" or "he wanted to work with Lat64." And I assume he wouldn't now change within Triology family.

I say this on the basis that DD seemed to have a bigger footprint in the States and that DD seemingly claims him as a disc-golf-sibling under the Triology terminology. A total aside, but it's not like DD used to push back against the Triology idea (would call it a "fan-created title") while also pushing it whenever it made sense for marketing. Tone has changed since Westside collaborative purchase.

I don't know if I get DD's roster construction. They seem like they want it to have a fun, goofy, family feel. I think that works as PR and on social media/video, but I don't know if it's a winning tournaments strategy. They have Paige and brand-poach Ricky when useful. And if disc sells are good, then carry on my friends, I guess.

Maybe a moot point if he goes to Innova, but I've never understood why Ricky is with Lat64 and not DD. And the answer could be as simple as "Lat64 signed him" or "he wanted to work with Lat64." And I assume he wouldn't now change within Triology family.

I say this on the basis that DD seemed to have a bigger footprint in the States and that DD seemingly claims him as a disc-golf-sibling under the Triology terminology. A total aside, but it's not like DD used to push back against the Triology idea (would call it a "fan-created title") while also pushing it whenever it made sense for marketing. Tone has changed since Westside collaborative purchase.

I don't know if I get DD's roster construction. They seem like they want it to have a fun, goofy, family feel. I think that works as PR and on social media/video, but I don't know if it's a winning tournaments strategy. They have Paige and brand-poach Ricky when useful. And if disc sells are good, then carry on my friends, I guess.

Feldberg.

I think they may be going with the idea that fun, interesting, and marketable players sell more discs than strictly those who win. Players that fans enjoy supporting move plastic. Obviously you want both winning and marketability, but not many players do that. They have the best female and their sister brand has the only other dominant MPO player not named Paul McBeth. So that doesn't leave many options especially if you're looking to sign a big time winner in this deep of a field.

Although I would agree that their MPO team leaves a bit to be desired in terms of winning.

Basically anyone added in 2018 isn't on there. I can't speak for why.

All of our profiles are certainly outdated. I don't work where it says I do. Gained like 30 since my picture, I'm not on the team mentioned anymore and I don't even throw the discs that it says I do anymore.

Yea but the Fish was sponsored by Discraft in 2017, when he won 2 a tiers and finished top 20 in worlds...

I think they may be going with the idea that fun, interesting, and marketable players sell more discs than strictly those who win. Players that fans enjoy supporting move plastic. Obviously you want both winning and marketability, but not many players do that. They have the best female and their sister brand has the only other dominant MPO player not named Paul McBeth. So that doesn't leave many options especially if you're looking to sign a big time winner in this deep of a field.

Although I would agree that their MPO team leaves a bit to be desired in terms of winning.

I agree with all of this, and I watch a fair amount of their vids and mostly enjoy them. Risley is a bit much. My bag is also prob 50% DD though mostly four molds (Escape, Verdict, Warden, Deputy). The thing is, I don't find myself cheering specifically for the players though in tournaments , but I'm maybe not their market.

I do like watching Paige B because I respect the decision making she used to win Worlds.

I just want to know if Krisco is DiscFifty. :p

Saw that thread on Facebook, that young man is not me, lol.. But I did find it amusing his theory was pretty much spot on to my original theory, which I still think is a big possibility.

I don't know about Gibson, he looks like he has joined the McTrolling crowd. :\

Seriously, does Wysocki really want to be "McBeast's replacement"

I think the bigger question would be what would he putt with? It is my understanding that the Dagger is a fairly unique mold that isn't really like anything else.

Latest posts