• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

And what do you think I think it means since I didn't define what I thought it meant?

"An economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state".

If you don't think that the Russian oligarchs control Russia's trade and industry to their own benefit, or that the Chinese oligarchs do the same, you might be mistaken.

North Korea is a little different, but I'm betting a good look would show that Kim and his cronies own a big chunk of the assets in NK. But I'd be comfortable calling them all kinds of things, none of which includes either capitalist nor communist.

Nobody is there filming it. A few Discraft sponsored players at the top of that field after round 1, they should attempt to rush a crew there to get some footage.

You would think they should try to film it right? First A tier after so much transition and hype in the off-season.

I wounder how much time Ricky have had for practice with his new bag vs Paul.
Feels like Paul starting throwing Discraft long before Ricky was even signed to Innova

Feels like Paul starting throwing Discraft long before Ricky was even signed to Innova

Rick threw Innova for years (including when he was with Prodigy). He's been posting Instagram stories where he's been pulling out some of his old Innova plastic. I don't think the learning curve is all that steep for him to get (re)acclimated to his new bag.

That said, these guys have had all day every day for the last couple months plus the next month or so to practice and fine-tune their disc selections. There's no reason to think they won't be at the top of their game once their seasons start properly. I think the notion that they need time to get used to their new discs and figure them out is overblown.

I'm nowhere near these guys skill-wise, but when I became sponsored, I had to turn my entire bag over. I got my first box of discs on a Tuesday (only had a handful prior to that) and that Saturday I was competing with a bag full of new discs. Shot my two best rounds to date on the course. If you have an understanding of what the discs are supposed to do, it's not difficult to execute with them regardless of how much time you've had to practice with them. There might be some fine tuning and breaking in needed to be 100% comfortable/confident with their discs, but for players at the level Paul and Rick are at, that might amount to the difference between a 1040 round and a 1050 round.

I'm nowhere near these guys skill-wise, but when I became sponsored, I had to turn my entire bag over. I got my first box of discs on a Tuesday (only had a handful prior to that) and that Saturday I was competing with a bag full of new discs. Shot my two best rounds to date on the course. If you have an understanding of what the discs are supposed to do, it's not difficult to execute with them regardless of how much time you've had to practice with them. There might be some fine tuning and breaking in needed to be 100% comfortable/confident with their discs, but for players at the level Paul and Rick are at, that might amount to the difference between a 1040 round and a 1050 round.

This was my experience upon becoming sponsored as well.

You are probably right. . .but it will still be intresting to see.

Both have change putters, and putting IS a mental thing. . .just look att Ricky this summer, he changed to the burst sig, Dagger and nothing worked for him.. then i changed back to his normal white Daggers and his putt started to work again.

The announcements just made it appear that way. They have had equal time.

Even so, if you have a BH and a FH, putt with newer or stable discs (which both do) the switch isn't tricky at all.

Well Ricky came into innova with innova having a full line up of discs while Discraft had to make things specifically for McBeth.

Rick threw Innova for years (including when he was with Prodigy). He's been posting Instagram stories where he's been pulling out some of his old Innova plastic. I don't think the learning curve is all that steep for him to get (re)acclimated to his new bag.

That said, these guys have had all day every day for the last couple months plus the next month or so to practice and fine-tune their disc selections. There's no reason to think they won't be at the top of their game once their seasons start properly. I think the notion that they need time to get used to their new discs and figure them out is overblown.

To this point, remember a few years ago when Paul McBeth had his bag stolen after the 2d round of a tournament (don't remember which one). Yes the molds were the same, but the discs were all fresh and new, and McBeth had NO time to get to know them. He made it to a playoff, where he lost on the first playoff hole. So yes, these top-level pros are good enough to take new and unfamiliar discs and play weil with them.

Of all the people that finished worlds last year, he was last...next to last beat him by 72 shots.

This tournament is even more interesting than his worlds finish.

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/36391#MP40

AM40 beat him by 35 strokes. He placed "1st" in a field of 1 player.

I read the ultiworld article about him last year, I was not impressed. He came off as an attention seeker not a philosopher of competition or the game or life.

I don't care if he is able to play and win in fields of one player, I just don't think he deserves any attention for it or for his last place finish in worlds.

In my opinion Pro Worlds should have a gated entry like USDGC. Just think how much faster the rounds would have been if players weren't waiting behind someone that threw an average of 100 shots per round.

Just think how much faster the rounds would have been if players weren't waiting behind someone that threw an average of 100 shots per round.

Was pace of play or length of rounds an issue at Worlds last year? I don't recall any complaints about it, particularly from any of my friends who were there and playing in the same pool that he would have been leading off each day.

I agree that the attention he's gotten, particularly here, is unwarranted and a bit sad. But more power to him for going out and doing what he wants to do. I disagree about "gating" Worlds. The tiered registration by rating is gate enough, IMO. If the event isn't full by the time a 735 rated player is allowed to register, why deny him the opportunity? It's his time and his money, let him spend it how he pleases.

Latest posts