• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 United States Disc Golf Championship Oct 2-5

Agreed, watching the front 9 from SpinTV it looks like these holes were designed by Andrew Duvall, have to assume hes related to Harold Duvall. To me it seems like he likes to design more of a putt putt golf style of disc golf hole in that they are more gimmick then practical. If this is the direction that the USDGC is going to take going forward then this tournament will soon become less and less prestigious. Sexton said that the USDGC is better then worlds and I agree with him but if this trend continues then that will not be the case.
It's all fun and games until they put in the windmill mando.

Can that (the lack of birdies) be chalked up to it being the first time the holes were played in competition? Obviously everyone had a chance to practice them and develop a strategy, but doing it in the pressure-free practice environment and when the bright lights are on are two different things. With more collective experience, I would expect scores to come down a bit overall as the weekend progresses.

Climo said hole 3 had another pin placement that is straighter on with less danger, which should yield more birdies.

You're the stats guy Steve, what do you think needs to shoot over the next 3 rounds to have a chance? at least what -10 to -12 each?

...I guess if you're bored you could go back and actually try to figure out an average finish for the winners and what he would need but I'm not looking for anything that scientific... Plus the course is different this year. Just a guess would be fine.

In my simulation, Paul has only a 1 in 15 chance of winning. His average round rating in those simulated wins was about 1086. That's 12 under par each round.

Looking at it the other way, he needs to average about 12 under to have a 50/50 shot at winning.

Anyone know if it will be possible to watch the live stream anywhere but in a browser? Like a specific app that one could access on Roku? Thought I had heard that it would be an option, but I'm not seeing anything on the usdgc.com/live page. Nor am I seeing a chat option yet (not that I want it, but it was promised).

After seeing the two new holes in the JOMEZ Big Sexy intro, I'm OK with #4. Maybe make only one double mando to force the tunnel shot, I'm seeing more tunnel shots through pine trees on courses I play, kind of nice to see the pros have to make the same shot.

I do think the mando on #3 is a little gimmicky. Throw 600' then have to hit a 10-12 foot double mando? Seems a little over the top.

Funny, I actually like the double mando on 3. Everyone's got an opinion, right?

The fairest criticism of the "miles of rope" course design philosophy is that while it does force placement it does not dictate specific throw shapes/lines. In an otherwise wide open field, that double mando at least offers some restriction to the path your disc can follow. So to an extent, it's adding a type of challenge that Winthrop is oft cited as lacking.

I'd agree that the double mando is maybe a little tighter than ideal. But they were working with what they had available: those 2 trees in a big open space. I don't think that gap is unfairly tight for the MPO field. Also, yes it's gimmicky, but heck....welcome to the USDGC!

Overall, new Hole 3 seems to fit the course without being redundant. I liked Sexton's observation in the Jomez preview vid, that big distance players can actually get into trouble by going too far off the tee and winding up with a funny angle through the gap. So rather than trying to mash it 600' off the tee, it might be better golf to "lay up" a little bit. (You know, as much as a 500' turnover can be a lay up :D)

In my mind, the biggest problem with the double mando on Hole 3 is that it's debuting alongside Hole 4 with the double-double. The narrative of "3 double mandos in 2 consecutive holes" is indeed eyeroll-worthy. But looking at the two individual holes in question (>700' and open, vs. < 300' and tree lined), 3 seems reasonable with 1 double mando and 4 is where it's overused with 2 doubles packed in there.

But again: opinions. Everybody's got some.

Watching players either putt up to a mando or putt through one is not really my cup of tea. Neither is the triple island hole.

I kinda like the triple island hole. Links golf, so to speak. :thmbup:

But I really don't like these holes with those artificial mandos. Nothing fun nor exciting about them at all... :thmbdown:

Is there going to be a chat? I thought I saw Jamie say it was going to have it but dont see where it would be.

Chat MIGHT show up when the countdown is gone? I REALLY hope there is a chat.

What's the official word on Paul? Is he injured or sick? Seems strange he's doesn't seem to be playing anywhere near his capability.

Video is live. Or at least, they're showing the scoreboard and a countdown clock with live video in the background. Graphics look pretty sharp.

After watching the spin tv first round coverage, the gimmicks have gotten to be too much. Even Simon was bashing the new holes in an interview at the end of the coverage. The ropes are one thing, but the mandos, pillars, and whatever other contraptions I am forgetting are getting too obnoxious. The players on that card weren't even messing around with trying to get birdies on pretty much any hole I would consider gimmicky. Even the bamboo hole players are now just trying to layup at the mouth instead of trying to land by the basket. Pretty soon everything will be islands to make the players go for all of these shots. I want to see these guys going for it, not laying up on every hole and these obstacles are ruining that.

So far the live look great, very professional. . and the commentators sounds more like they do in most pro sports. . less jokes and more "sport talk"