• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 Great Lakes Open

What does filter mean in reference to a disc golf shot? It seems to be the new catch word on the DGN coverage, but they don't use it consistently enough for me to derive what they are referring to.

I've generally heard it used to describe where a section of the hole tends to funnel discs that land in relatively large area, down to some other place due to it's momentum and gravity. So regardless where the discs hit the ground, they all tend "filter" to a pretty similar resting place.

I think using the term funnel would be more accurate.

Last edited:
Never seen anyone park #18 like Albert "The Bazooka" Tamm did today.

Simon's roller yesterday was great, but he was playing for birdie the whole time. Tamm didn't miss an Ace by much. Best shot I've ever seen on that hole, hands down.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Looked cool when it debuted last year with the mulch. Even nicer with the carpet of grass this year. Very inviting off the tee.

Really loving the course changes over the last two years.

-------

Nice to see Simon near the top. Too many putts bit him yesterday

I think hole 9 was kind of a plinko hole last year where players threw into trees and hoped their disc fell near the basket. Completely different this year with a gap to hit to get near the basket.

The grass on 5 looks great. It's so uniform it looks like astroturf.

What does filter mean in reference to a disc golf shot? It seems to be the new catch word on the DGN coverage, but they don't use it consistently enough for me to derive what they are referring to.

I think it pretty universally means any disc that manages to make it through an area that is somewhat unevenly obstructed. Whether that means tree trunks, branches, bushes, or overhead foliage - a disc filtering through is one that needs a bit of luck to get through where it did. It'll also be used to describe a disc falling from a tree - filtering through the branches being the ultimate deciding factor in how the disc lands on the ground.

In general it seems to just refer, no matter how tight or wide open, to any situation where a disc moves through somewhat unevenly placed obstacles.

More likely they simply don't care how a filter works, but are worried that pachinko sounds vaguely like a slur.

I think it pretty universally means any disc that manages to make it through an area that is somewhat unevenly obstructed. Whether that means tree trunks, branches, bushes, or overhead foliage - a disc filtering through is one that needs a bit of luck to get through where it did. It'll also be used to describe a disc falling from a tree - filtering through the branches being the ultimate deciding factor in how the disc lands on the ground.

In general it seems to just refer, no matter how tight or wide open, to any situation where a disc moves through somewhat unevenly placed obstacles.

More likely they simply don't care how a filter works, but are worried that pachinko sounds vaguely like a slur.

Back in the day, we used to call this a seeing eye disc.

When I use the word pachinko I worry that I'm dating myself and no one will know what I mean. I am guessing that pachinko isn't used because it isn't a word most people actually know.

When I use the word pachinko I worry that I'm dating myself and no one will know what I mean. I am guessing that pachinko isn't used because it isn't a word most people actually know.

Friend of mine in FL has a few pachinko machines.

Indian Hills in Columbia, Missouri has a hole that I describe as "the first-person perspective of a pachinko ball."

So were you spotting thus far? Any known camera time? :D

Didn't volunteer this year. Figured I'd give the young kids a chance. ;)

Maybe next year... :popcorn:

Never seen anyone park #18 like Albert "The Bazooka" Tamm did today.

Simon's roller yesterday was great, but he was playing for birdie the whole time. Tamm didn't miss an Ace by much. Best shot I've ever seen on that hole, hands down.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

The shot looked very odd out of his hand. . but i wonder if other players see this and has tryed it after the round. . . maybe Tamm has found a new way to play this hole

I've generally heard it used to describe where a section of the hole tends to funnel discs that land in relatively large area, down to some other place due to it's momentum and gravity. So regardless where the discs hit the ground, they all tend "filter" to a pretty similar resting place.

I think using the term funnel would be more accurate.

This is the description I was about to post, but just more poorly written.

Fwiw, we always have pinball as another type of coin-op machine where events are sometimes fairly random, no matter how well you shoot

Gonna be hard for the rest of the FPO lead card to catch Ryan. They keep putting themselves in less than desirable positions, unable to put any real pressure on Ryan.

That can really bring the mental game into play. Much easier for Ryan to play with confidence, with that lead, especially as there are fewer opportunities for them to catch her the further they get into the round.

Looks like Scoggins is making a charge of her own, but not sure she's got enough holes left to catch Ryan.

Ryan just needs to stay out of the deep rough. She finds that, and maybe a bad rollaway... could open the door.

Holyn Handley got hosed on #17's green. :\

I can´t putt my finger on it..but something about this FPO layuot feelt "off" . . every single player in the top 15 had a birdy on hole hole 8. . and not a single player had a birdy on hole 9 . . .it feelt like a few holes was super easy and a few impossible hard. . and very little score separation

The camera doesn't do Calvin's 2nd shot on #10 justice. I can't tell you how hard it is to get up to the MPO pin from where he was.

You don't see many shots like that.

Huge throw in by Ellis to keep pace.

Calvin's shot on #13: best I've ever seen.
Better than McBeth's when he went 18 under in 2018 (it was hole #12 back then).

Toss up with Albert's shot on 18 yesterday for best shot of the tournament.

I have never seen anyone throw a forehand like that on 18. He dropped it on the basket from well above, that was incredible.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 6oiga0.jpg
    6oiga0.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 145

Latest posts