• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2024 Majors Announced

Heh, I had earlier pondered the possibility of my 7th grader making it into the '24 Am Worlds only an hour from us and realizing he'd need 2,000 points. I looked into it and he'd have to get those points actually playing in Am-1 this year. Makes total sense. And I believe he very well could be Am-1 ready in 2024 but he's not there yet. So I guess it'll be Tulsa, OK for us in the summer of 2024, junior worlds, providing we register in 0.02 seconds and make it in!

I'll edit and add this...at what point will our sport be ready for its world championship berths to be earned in the same season the event takes place? Maybe some regional qualifiers held earlier in the summer or something? I get that the PDGA's current model worked well in the 1990's but haven't we arrived at a better place right now?

Last edited:
Heh, I had earlier pondered the possibility of my 7th grader making it into the '24 Am Worlds only an hour from us and realizing he'd need 2,000 points. I looked into it and he'd have to get those points actually playing in Am-1 this year. Makes total sense. And I believe he very well could be Am-1 ready in 2024 but he's not there yet. So I guess it'll be Tulsa, OK for us in the summer of 2024, junior worlds, providing we register in 0.02 seconds and make it in!

I'll edit and add this...at what point will our sport be ready for its world championship berths to be earned in the same season the event takes place? Maybe some regional qualifiers held earlier in the summer or something? I get that the PDGA's current model worked well in the 1990's but haven't we arrived at a better place right now?

I was not aware that all AM Worlds points needed to be made in MA1. Is this a change?

I don't see the option of same year points being feasible. Given Worlds are usually in July, registration would have to take place some time in June. That means points have to be accrued in Jan-June. Really gives the warm weather states a huge advantage. Pretty hard to get some Jan/Feb A Tiers in while in states like Michigan. If forced to do so, ratings would take a considerable pummeling.

I was not aware that all AM Worlds points needed to be made in MA1. Is this a change?

Since his son's primary division would be one of the junior divisions, only points in MA1 would qualify for MA1 for him. If your primary division is MA1 (aka not age protected), then all Am points are used to qualify.

Last edited:
Since his son's primary division would be one of the junior divisions, only points in MA1 would qualify for MA1 for him. If your primary division is MA1 (aka not age protected), then all Am points are used to qualify.

Ahhh....thank you. I assumed many of his points were in MA3 and some in Juniors. So, even with MA3 points on the books, only MA1 points would count toward MA1 (not his primary division)?

Ahhh....thank you. I assumed many of his points were in MA3 and some in Juniors. So, even with MA3 points on the books, only MA1 points would count toward MA1 (not his primary division)?

That's right. I was thinking the Am-3 points might count toward the Am-1 event since they also count for juniors stuff, but it's not the case. He got into MJ-15 worlds by getting over 100 points in Am-3.

I just spent a fair bit of time over my holiday break figuring out the best way to earn 2024 invite, Fallasburg is my home/backyard course and I've got a fair amount of rounds on brewer and Johnson also. My caveat for this summer is that we're preparing to move so I don't have nearly as many weekends to devote to tourneys as I have the last few years.

After reading Central Scrutinizers first post I was going to suggest that an 880 rated player could net well over 2000 points just for spending a single Thursday-Sunday playing MA3 at Ledgestone (at least that's been roughly my rating, and result the last 3 years)
however since MA3 points don't count due to the juniors stipulation and points would need to be MA1, my other suggestion would be to look into a sanctioned league. I played Brewer parks sanctioned league last summer (there's only 1 division MA1 for league) playing from the golds I was typically averaging 45 points per round, playing from the reds I was averaging 97.

97 points for a single league round was more than I earned for any 2 round C-tier I played last year, and on par with most B-tiers.

There are just over 20 league rounds per summer so if Thursday nights are an easier target than all day on the weekends that might be another path to explore.

Looks like I missed the edit window, but it goes without saying that bigger events will still net more points, 880 rated rounds at Ledgestone in MA1 would net 450-500 points, 880 rated rounds at River City Open in MA1 would net 130.

Is there a minimum points requirement to qualify/invite for US Masters like there is for Masters Worlds?

Darn shame they are not going to use Independence Park in Bedford VA. I would much rather see pros play there versus playing yet another bolf course. :(

It's my opinion that the choice of "bolf" courses is to give the big throwers a chance to show their stuff. Wooded courses require more technical throws and less "big bombs of throws". I think people want to see the big 500/600 foot throws and 700+ foot rollers. But you won't see many of them on wooded courses.

It's my opinion that the choice of "bolf" courses is to give the big throwers a chance to show their stuff. Wooded courses require more technical throws and less "big bombs of throws". I think people want to see the big 500/600 foot throws and 700+ foot rollers. But you won't see many of them on wooded courses.

New London Tech is big boy course (11,581') with plenty of opportunities for the pros to throw big bombs. Independence Park (7,464' and heavily wooded) would offer a better contrast compared with a bolf course. Playing New London and Independence would require the 2024 world champion to display a balanced array of skills.

I think plenty of people like watching the pros carve lines in the woods, and even sometimes hit the first available tree. Others may prefer big hyzers and 700' rollers. ;) Clearly there is diversity of preferences among viewers.

We may have different preferences, and there is nothing wrong with that. :)

That said, many of the most respected tournament locales offer a balanced mix of challenges. Examples include Maple Hill, Smugglers Notch, Milo, DeLaveaga, etc.

From what I hear, the move towards holding tournaments at bolf courses may be driven more by logistics (filming, parking, etc.) and by the type of course many pros want to play. Viewer preference seems to be a lower priority.

New London Tech is big boy course (11,581') with plenty of opportunities for the pros to throw big bombs. Independence Park (7,464' and heavily wooded) would offer a better contrast compared with a bolf course. Playing New London and Independence would require the 2024 world champion to display a balanced array of skills.

I think plenty of people like watching the pros carve lines in the woods, and even sometimes hit the first available tree. Others may prefer big hyzers and 700' rollers. ;) Clearly there is diversity of preferences among viewers.

We may have different preferences, and there is nothing wrong with that. :)

That said, many of the most respected tournament locales offer a balanced mix of challenges. Examples include Maple Hill, Smugglers Notch, Milo, DeLaveaga, etc.

From what I hear, the move towards holding tournaments at bolf courses may be driven more by logistics (filming, parking, etc.) and by the type of course many pros want to play. Viewer preference seems to be a lower priority.

New London is definitely a big boy course but there are very few big bomb opportunities there. For those guys it will be all about keeping fairway drivers and mids in the fairway. New London also has pretty much nowhere for spectators to have good viewing. Ivy Hill will have the bombs for sure though. I actually expect Ivy Hill to be good based on MTL liking it a lot.

The players would absolutely hate Independence (I can't say it is one of my favorites either). It also has about 20 parking spots total.

DGPT priorities in my experience:
1. live broadcast capability
2. spectator friendly
3. the course itself

New London is definitely a big boy course but there are very few big bomb opportunities there. For those guys it will be all about keeping fairway drivers and mids in the fairway.

Interesting. At my limited distance, the fairways at New London seemed pretty wide open. Are you saying that pro disc golfers throw farther than a creaky old guy? ;)

But I am happy to defer to your experience with how the top players are likely to attack the course. :)

And I do hope Ivy Hill turns out to be a good course. Do you know if it will be playable after Worlds, or is it just a temp setup?

Interesting. At my limited distance, the fairways at New London seemed pretty wide open. Are you saying that pro disc golfers throw farther than a creaky old guy? ;)

But I am happy to defer to your experience with how the top players are likely to attack the course. :)

And I do hope Ivy Hill turns out to be a good course. Do you know if it will be playable after Worlds, or is it just a temp setup?

My experience at New London was similar to yours- I don't throw far enough to get in much trouble there.

I am not sure but I think the plan is for Ivy to go permanent eventually. They are having an event there next month.

Latest posts