• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] 5-6 disc bag - how would you cover the bases.

My Sig is what I carry. It's on the understable side of things, but that's my style. Every once in a while I'll go hunting for a beefier mid but I never find one that I like. I rarely throw the crank, PD covers almost everything on the driver side.

FB/‎‎‎PD/OLF/‎OLS ‎•‎ Eagle‎/‎TB/‎Patriot ‎•‎ Sentinel‎/‎‎Roc •‎ Scale‎/Lex/Polecat

I think the PD,OLF,OLS overlap through their various plastic offerings. PD and OLF could take the place of the OLS once they are seasoned, and potentially the FB if you are able to find a beefy version.

You don't need both the Eagle and Teebird. You could get by with either one and use one of your control drivers to fill in the other shots. Once seasoned/beat, however, the Eagle (X version) can still make shots like the Tbird but the Tbird is not going to be able to make shots like the Eagle.

You could get by with just the Roc and power down with a fairway driver.

Any of the setups I mentioned in my earlier post could work for you.

Ah. I see. Good points indeed. If minimalisation were the goal...
I don't have an OLF beat into roller stage yet though. And I like shaping lines with OLFs/ Eagles and hitting holes with TBs/ PDs. Especially at the speed 9s, I'm happy since FB, PD, OLF share the same rim and feel almost the same. But your point is well taken and true.

my first 5 years of disc golf were played with around 6 discs in my nutsac.

Neutral putter - yeti pro aviar.
Utility mid - roc, roc3, beat buzzz, something along those lines
Understable fairway - Beat river
Moderately stable fairway - volt
Overstable hybrid type - Saint Pro
Driver - Tern

Obviously there are holes there, but at my local course which is fairly short, i could play almost every hole with nothing but a volt, buzzz, beat in river and a putter

Putts & Approaches - Polecat

I haven't thrown the other ones and I never would throw a LEX so this one wins by default. Should be able to handle all putts, approaches and short drives. If the wind picks up I would use the Roc in this capacity.

Stable Midrange - Roc

Not much you can't do with a seasoned Roc. Would probably use a slightly overstable one to compliment my Polecat better.

Stable Fairway - Patriot

I love the gummy Pinnacle Patriots so that's what I would use here. Something ~170 would work well. Straight shots and long turnovers.

Overstable Control - OLF

Flex shots, distance shots, wind fighter, sidearms, etc. I prefer the Quantum plastic and it would compliment a Patriot nicely.

Utility - Firebird

Flat champion Firebird for tricky approaches, sidearms, thumbers, forehand rollers, spike hyzers... Screw it just bring the Polecat and Firebird and save room for the beer.

For a 6 disc bag...
Putter
Understable/stable mid
Overstable mid
Stable fairway
Overstable fairway
Stable distance driver
Fill these slots with molds you like and done.

No herding. Just letting them cats roam. My favorite is that every tenth post actually answers the original question.